:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: limits of side mount intercoolers  (Read 2130 times)

• Certified OG
limits of side mount intercoolers
« on: January 20, 2015, 04:48:31 AM »

due to space constraints, radiator-blocking concerns, and other stupid shit, im curious, what are the limits of aftermarket side mount intercoolers? specifically cheap china ones. using a pretty large borg turbo at say 12psi vs using a smaller gt28 or whatever at 12psi, wouldn't there be a fair amount less heat created in the whole compressing stage of the air?

would it be stupid to try and use a well ducted fat ebay side mount intercooler for say 350-400hp using a fairly large turbo?

im not a turbine engineer or anything, I thought if larger turbos make more volume/power at the same psi, wouldn't it make less heat compressing? I thought I remember reading or being told smaller turbos make more heat because they are less efficient lb for lb of boost

also I think it may reduce some lag. ive kicked around the idea of a a2w intercooler too, seems like too much BS for a street car.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
Re: limits of side mount intercoolers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »

Actually the larger turbo may create more heat at low boost, it really depends on the compressor map and what "efficiency islands" you're running into. Smaller turbos tend to have their peak efficiency islands between 10-20psi, while some larger turbos start at 20psi and extend past 40psi. The reason Hondas tend to make lots of power at low boost with large turbos is mostly because of the large turbine. Even though the compressor is working slightly less efficiently, the turbine lets the engine work much more efficiently.

Large sidemount upgrades work for a few types of cars - Audi, Porsche, and 3000GT's to name a few. The WRX topmount works the same as a sidemount since the scoop is in a relatively low pressure zone of the hood. You'd really have to research those upgrades to get a good idea. They'll heatsoak faster and cool down slower, so they won't be great ideas for long races. They'd be fine for intermittent pulls on the street. The fat ebay cores have much more mass and in most cases have around the same or less pressure drop, so they'll usually work better than stock. Many OEM intercoolers even have plastic end tanks.

A2W intercoolers still work for the street, you just can't oversize the pump. Nearly all the energy of the pump gets put into the water, so it's a good idea to have a pressure switch disable it at cruising speeds. A2W systems are also relatively easy to make. They use a very compact core, a heat exchanger that's usually smaller than the smallest FMIC any sensible person would run, a pump, fairly small hoses, and a small reservoir. It's much more dicking around, but in some cases it's the only way.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

• Certified OG
Re: limits of side mount intercoolers
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »

ive considered a2w too. the more I look into it I go from good idea to too much possible failure.  my 00' bmw has a well ducted and sealed front bumper with ducts going to the front brakes and a scoop in the middle pushing everything into the rad and condenser I hate to hack it up for intercooler piping. and there it not much room for a very big core unless I go narrow but tall. turbo is a bw s360 88a/r

so ive been looking into other options even though I have a feeling I will end up just saying F it as usual and getting a front mount.
Pages: [1]   Go Up