Forum > General Discussion

My most expensive build yet......FORT REX COMPOUND

<< < (33/35) > >>

Eggylshatch:
Those piers and post specs from the engineer sound excessive but who am I. You guys don't get crazy wind in the PNW anyway, do you? Plus your lot seems pretty sheltered with all the trees. That is a big ass shop though!
I wonder if you could find recycled steel trusses and beams that would be close enough in size to what you need? A guy I know built a huge structure that way, just designed the rest of the building around the steel trusses he sourced for cheap.

ratcityrex:
Talked with the engineer on Tuesday. Turns out he missed the part where I said I was going to pour a concrete slab inside the building. He was essentially weighing the building down and keeping it from blowing away with the piers. So we will pour smaller piers(once he reruns the calculations we will know exactly how big) and when I go to pour my slab we will tie the piers into the slab to make it 1 solid piece.

We get some 60-70mph gust from time to time. But that's like once a rest type of thing. Most our storms have sustained high winds of 50mph or less. Our wind load is 110mph, and our snow load is 25mph. And we live in a seismic area. All of these things basically compound on eachother. We have to meet all of those factors at the same time.

I've looked for stuff like that but because I have to pull permits I need to have documentation of who engineered what. So I would have to track down the original engineer for that shit.

If it all goes to shit I will just work the loophole.

You can build a "agricultural building" as long as its under 864sf. And it has to be 10' away from the closet structure. So I will build three 40×20 buildings 10' apart from eachother. And when the county is out of my hair I will just conect them together for 1 40x80 shop....lol

trying to do things the properly way so I don't get bit in the ass in 30 years when I have to sell my own property because property taxes are too much i can't afford them.

MTZ:
I built a 24x24 greenhouse/cabin (clear greenhouse roof) on 9 8inch sonotubes with a big foot pad and it’s held up some harsh storms and crazy snow loads (that eventually clear up from the hotter temp inside 😅)  I did all the calculations and construction though the first roof design 1 pitch roof didn’t actually like the immense snow load 4ft of snow on top without me finishing all the support columns and collapsed but I redesigned and it’s been doing great since. I went with a diy permit and composting permit because sewer costs were outrageous at the time.

Not growing weed in it anymore it’s now just a winter getaway spot for the fam .

92CXyD:

--- Quote from: MTZ on April 22, 2022, 12:08:15 PM ---I built a 24x24 greenhouse/cabin (clear greenhouse roof) on 9 8inch sonotubes with a big foot pad and it’s held up some harsh storms and crazy snow loads (that eventually clear up from the hotter temp inside 😅)  I did all the calculations and construction though the first roof design 1 pitch roof didn’t actually like the immense snow load 4ft of snow on top without me finishing all the support columns and collapsed but I redesigned and it’s been doing great since. I went with a diy permit and composting permit because sewer costs were outrageous at the time.

Not growing weed in it anymore it’s now just a winter getaway spot for the fam .

--- End quote ---

Badass!  :noel:

ratcityrex:
Well, sring, summer, fall and now winter has come and almost gone. Now we're onto this spring. Fucking permits taking forever. Almost ready to break ground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version