Forum > Forced Induction

Disco I

(1/6) > >>

ironcrx:
Time to update you ladies with my current project and hopefully inject some more action into this lovely forum of ours.

So I moved back to Iceland almost 4 years ago.  I had no project cars to work on until beginning of last year but even then I couldn't do anything because I hardly had any tools here while all my shit is still back in the states. Since the start of this recent winter I have acquired the minimum of tools I need to do work!  Plus as it turns out I needed to get a whole new set of bits anyways since my current project uses lots of 8 point bolts.

Project car:  1998 Land Rover Discovery I.  300TDi (2.5L) Turbo Diesel
What it came with:
4'' body lift
2-4'' suspension lift
38'' tires (38x15.5r15)
converted to manual with Defender manual trans and geared for larger tires (38'')

What it needs(ed) fixed:
missing most interior in rear
both rear windows don't roll down (need to replace the moving lever arm things)
Needs homemade cover around shifter
Exhaust leaks

What I've done to it:
All new rotors, pads, new exhaust, replacement rear seats, new clutch (heavy duty), new tires, all new wheel bearings

What I plan to do next with it:
Lots

Next post will be soon which will be a big write up of the work I've been doing on it thus far. 

Ntrain2k:
Fucking like!

Tim:
Looks like a beast

ironcrx:

--- Quote from: Tim on April 21, 2018, 07:42:50 AM ---Looks like a beast

--- End quote ---

It's in the lower middle class scale of beastly vehicles in Iceland.  Huge tires and sick offroad setups is the main car culture of Iceland  :noel:

ironcrx:
 Coming from the rhmt background that I have, this is my biggest project yet (literally and figuratively) and most complicated for many reasons.  Iceland is EXPENSIVE as fuck.  Ask me how much something costs and I can tell you it's price and you'll go blind.  Example:  My tires cost more than $1000 EACH when purchased in Iceland.  I got mine for $300 each.  Bought them in China (where they are made) and had them put into the shipping container of other stuff I was importing from China.  Also included a few set of Pirellis for my Range Rover cause fuck buying tires here.  So I have to shop smart, deal with shipping, and I am still without all my tools.  When I visit the states again I will pack my stuff up onto some pallets and get it shipped.

So when I saw the Discovery come up for sale I jumped on it for a few reasons besides the fact I was in the market for a decent 4x4 vehicle.  It had a properly done body lift and body modification for larger tires which would have been very costly for me to get done.  It was worth it for all the things wrong with it.

The guy I bought it from was your typical city garage home mechanic who did some ghetto things to the car.  I bought it from him in the capital but I live out in the country. 
There was some wack shit done to the Disco by the previous owner:
pvc plumping for the intake
pvp pipe on turbo cold side (partly melted due to heat) which I promptly replaced
suspension lift consists of blocks and welded shock extensions
All wire work that was ever touched is poorly done (finger crimped, loosely taped, etc)
All the openings caused by the body lift haven't been covered

Anyways, I have big plans on upgrades:
Full suspension replacement with upgrades
Replace all bushings
New panhard rod and ends
Replace Intercooler setup
Replace turbo or service current one
Fix up the interior like getting the shifter hole covered (Loud as FUUUUCK)
Do some serious motor maintenance.  Serious ticking and might be missing several valve end caps. 

I ended up replacing the clutch during the winter because the one that was in it was stock and it burned up.  Didn't hold up so well with suspension/tire upgrade.  Was a tough job but thankfully I got a friend down the road with his own lift and useful tools.

Here is the views of the body and suspension lift

The Obliterated clutch disk

Sexy new rotor with new pads and the red sealant is fresh from the wheel bearing replacements I put in

Old rotors were shift and the inner seals obviously were not doing shit

Oh yeah the U joints were shot.  Replaced them all.  One was impossible to move by hand

Transmission and transfer case

I'll probably need a trans rebuild  sooner or later

Sexy clutch replacement with HD clutch set from Synchro Clutch.  Also got an all metal throw out bearing with lifetime warranty and took the liberty of cleaning the transmission of the left over dead friction disk

Luckily for me the added height makes working from underneath quite easy.  Also the body lift grands me 4'' of extra work room between the trans and body which was sooooooo helpful in replacing the clutch.

I can't take it offroading as hard I want to because it still needs a real suspension and on top of that still needs front and rear lockers.  I could get a full kit that will run about $2000 shipped.  Hopefully I can make it less than that by cleverly mixing and matching parts.  We will see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version