Forum > Engine Management

emissions testing... can-bus... two ecu's?

(1/1)

turbohf:
ok, so i have a hypothetical question here. seriously, my curiosity is getting the better of me...

so lets say you have a newer Ford, 2005-2011ish. full on OBDII, can-bus, dbw, the whole works. your going to LSx swap it, because thats what we do. but it HAS TO PASS EMISSIONS. and not some crazy full on commie cali visual test. just a scan.

what i found on testing:
1: An inspector checks to see if the MIL light comes on when the key is turned on.
2: Scan for readiness, MIL, and link between ECU and port
3: As a final system check, the scanner is used to command the MIL lamp on to verify it is taking commands from the onboard computer.

now i have only done like 2 emissions tests ever, so i had to look that up. but guessing thats correct. as they took my money plugged in. checked gauges, kicked me out. fiddled around with some shit... then told me i passed.

here are a couple ideas that are rolling around in my head...

----

i know you can change VIN's in hptuners.... can you change a VIN on the ecu to another manufacturer? can i drop a Ford VIN onto a P01 truck dbc ECU??? then they just scan the car and it says its a 2010 mustang or whatever, no CEL, you pass...?

----

since you would be running both the factory Ford ECU (for can-bus shit, getting stock cluster to work, etc) and the ECU for whatever your swapping (GM or even aftermarket ecu). would the factory Ford ECU scan...well i mean it would, but would it pass the tests above? i would guess it would still try throwing lots of random lights, and probably wouldnt have all/any readiness systems completed? maybe those can be tuned out? disabled? that just makes this sound not legal lol.

----

final one i can think of would be just running and scanning the GM ECU your using for the swap? obviously you can not use a standalone (MS3/Holley/whatever). and i think if i remember right it has to be the same year or newer to pass?
just have to pull/hide the Ford connector and have the GM ECU connector in its place. would they freak out that they have a 2009 Town Car sitting in front of them, but the screen shows a 2010 GMC Savana 3500? lol.
hell, from the emissions tests that i have taken (not many) i would guess that the VIN on the paperwork would come off the ECU they scanned?? or maybe they scanned the VIN off the vehicle too?...

---

your thoughts? experiences? i would like to run the aftermarket ecu idea, as you could have more user functions (flex fuel, traction control, boost control, etc, etc)...

rawr:
I was talking about this due to the new EPA crackdown on tuning.

I think the best thing to do at the end of the day would to be making and hiding an adapter with to st1100 chips with a microcontroller handling the input and output and act as an adapter between the emissions canbus and your ecu.

Say they send a command to check your downstream O2 sensors but you don't have any, the microcontroller could return a value anyway calculated in real time off of your upstream o2s. You could also restrict values and dial your ecu in to pass regardless of what was happening to it. When they requested the VIN number, you could return any string, etc.

Those st1100 chips are pretty cheap and microcontrollers are a dime a dozen these days.

Just need to prototype it and write some code for a few specific cars and I think it might  catch on

Joseph Davis:
I'm your huckleberry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version