:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FINALLY Got An AC Tig!!!!  (Read 4367 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
FINALLY Got An AC Tig!!!!
« on: August 16, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »

For many years I have wanted an AC tig and plenty of times I could have afforded one, but priorities have always gotten in my way. Welp.... the moons aligned and the right deal finally came at the right time. Picked up this Miller Dialarc HF for $250. The thing is massive and 30-ish years old. Was used at Disney World in Orlando it's entire life. Downsides are that it's massive and only sine wave, upsides are that it was cheap, works perfectly, has water cooled torch and it welds aluminum. Anyway, here is my first attempt at sticking 2 pieces together after running a few beads on just flat material.

Can't wait to finally use it for something useful. I have spent the last year or so just doing things I need to do and pretty much nothing I want to do. That is changing here in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:27:44 PM by PhilStubbs »
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

crx-t

Re: FINALLY Got An AC Tig!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 11:55:49 AM »

Fuck me.... its been so long since ce I was on a forum, I was looking for the like button!

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 12:07:42 PM »

Looks better than my A/C converter HF fluxcore steel welds   :noel:

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 05:54:57 PM »

I know its ugly. Just posting to show how things progress. lol.

I was surprised that the thinner material of the charge pipe wasn't as bad as I expected compared to the thicker material. I think it would look a million times better if I had a welding table and was seated comfortably. Everything about this was uncomfortable and hard to see.

obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:14:31 AM »

Is it hard to use? What are the consumable costs like for aluminum tig?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 09:09:02 AM »

Consumables are pretty much the same for aluminum and steel. The only difference is that I am flying through argon. I have always used a 40lb bottle for mig and steel tig, but that is not lasting for aluminum. This tig will be getting a 120lb bottle soon.

The machine itself is stupidly easy to set up. Welding though is odd. Steel to me is easy to weld but tough to make look nice where aluminum is hard to weld, but if it is a successful weld it is a much better looking weld. I don't know if that makes sense. lol
obd1>gtgtall

Pages: [1]   Go Up