:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Censored clip from Merv Griffin Show, 1974  (Read 1336 times)

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG

Sinister

• insane in the membrane
  • Certified OG
Re: Censored clip from Merv Griffin Show, 1974
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »

Yay, blackface. Can't believe that guy did that haha
3/5/09 - RIP HMT

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:05:01 AM »

DS Sambo's is a restaurant, formerly an American restaurant chain, started in 1957 by Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett. Though the name was taken from portions of the names of its founders, the chain soon found itself associated with "The Story of Little Black Sambo". The story, written by a Scot woman living in India in 1899, tells the tale of a boy named Sambo who outwits a group of hungry tigers who race around a tree and eventually turn into butter. Battistone and Bohnett capitalized on the coincidence by decorating the walls of the restaurants with scenes from the book, including a dark-skinned boy and tigers. By the early 1970s, the illustrations depicted a light-skinned boy wearing a jeweled Indian-style turban with the tigers.

By 1979, Sambo's had 1,200 outlets in 47 U.S. states. However in the late seventies controversy over the chain's name drew protests and lawsuits in communities that viewed the term "Sambo" as derogatory towards African-Americans, particularly in Northeast states. Several of the restaurants were opened as or renamed to "The Jolly Tiger" but by November of 1981, the company filed for bankruptcy and by 1982 all but the original Sambo's at 216 West Cabrillo Boulevard in Santa Barbara, California, closed their doors. Battistone's grandson, restaurateur Chad Stevens, owns the only remaining Sambo's. He expresses a desire to revive the chain.

I ate at the Sambo's in Candler (West Asheville) as a kid.  There was a little black boy statue akin to the Shoney's Big Boy statues you used to see, only smaller.  Think of the black face theme turned into statuary.

Times change.

Sinister

• insane in the membrane
  • Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:09:35 AM »

I used to see those even when I was little from time to time. We have two little black girl bobble heads from the 30's in the house too that came from only god knows where too, its interesting how it was back then
3/5/09 - RIP HMT

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »

I used to see those even when I was little from time to time.

Figuring you remember as far back as two years of age, that places you as 29 years old.  Uhm, bullshit.

Sinister

• insane in the membrane
  • Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:37:47 AM »

I've never heard of the restaurant, but there was one of those statues near my house when I was a kiddo.
3/5/09 - RIP HMT

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:13:19 AM »

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:16:21 AM by t_cel_t »
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up