:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is AvGas?  (Read 3522 times)

JaredKaragen

What is AvGas?
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »

Cheap alternative to race fuel.   100LL is comparable to C16.  Just remove your catalyst and expect ~5,000 miles on a wideband sensor.  No need to have a full time wideband if you tune conservatively anyways.

Now you know; and it's a major price difference, on top of having way better MPG than E85 for the power you get from that MPG.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: What is AvGas?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »

C12 is as far as I would push the av gas comparison. After all 100LL is 100 ocatane Low Lead. Yes the lead helps, but having run avgas in sleds for years, it is no where near C16.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

JaredKaragen

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »

sorry;  100LL is C12;  133LL is C16...  you are spot on.

sadly its harder and harder to find a pump with 133LL =/

Ive found that the lead adds a huge detonation resistance and also helps keep cylinder sealing to a maximum.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »

I'm just curious, are these usually on airfields? Do you just roll in with gas tanks and fill up?

100ll.com shows the airport I drive by each day has the cheapest prices locally, but still $5.50/gal.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

jdmhatchracer94

• I have a nova that will never run!!
  • Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

Know guys that been using it as race fuel for years but it is a harsher on your engine cause of having anti-freeze in it
4 door eg nbspnbsp 13.2@118 someone needs to run slicks
338hp 293tq

Good enough to fuck your mother

shawnspeed

• N00B *Read Intro Sticky*
  • RHMT
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »

Av gas is for airpalnes.... ;DDDAnd that is wher it should stay...The octane rating is measured different than automotive an racing fuel, such as VP c-12. the Octane rating is for fairly low RPM engines , (most prop planes redline at 2200 rpm) and there ratings are based on this RPM, and pumping efficencies at altitude, which is not accounted for in land based octane ratings.....Just as a side note , I have a pilot and Aviation mechanic that I work with, he uses 94 premium from the gas station because his planes run better , and it's cheaper...also Av gas has an oil dispersant to keep from fouling plugs...it tends to wash oil off cylider walls causing damage...But it is your wallet, I would rather run the E-85..it's more available and it is good for about 10% HP right off the bat...

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »

Wow, an insightful n00b post, thanks.

Oddly enough 100LL seems easier to get than E85 around me. I pass by 2 places that sell 100LL on my trip to work, but have to go 30 min out of my way for E85. And E85 locally isn't cheap either. >:(
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

I was about to post a very similar reply to the noob. I work on piston planes for a living and have run avgas in my turbo car before. You also have to clean or replace your plugs every few gallons. Lead builds up on them causing what seemed to be spark blowout. I haven't run it in a turbo car in years. We end up with barrels of it for free all the time. If I'm low on cash I'll dump some in my old carb'd silverado or my lawnmower to get me by till payday, but it pretty much sucks for everything non aircraft.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »

Works great in turbo 2 stroke sleds... And E85 while readily available in subsudizedobmaland, is no where to be found up here. So it is either vp or avgas, or pump fuel (only to 91 locally). So I will keep on using cheap leaded fuel.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »

If it works great in 2-smoke turbo sleds but builds up on 4-stroke plugs, this makes me believe you'd need a hotter plug. It would be a step back in a way, but the lead already has you a few steps ahead of knock.

Anyone try a 50/50 mix with pump gas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up