:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D16z6 and D15b cam comparison  (Read 15142 times)

Evans Performance

D16z6 and D15b cam comparison
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »

On another forum i sponsor along with Bisimoto he made a thread about z6 and d15b cams. here is what he came up with. seems like some good info.

Quote from: Bisimoto
I have been bombarded with questions on the exchange capability of D16Z6 cams, both stock and aftermarket, in the recently popular D15B JDM Vtec engines. Instead of boring you with the grim details, here are some highlights:

D15B and D16Z6 have the exact same cam profiles on the primary and secondary intake lobes

The share the same exhaust profiles

THEY DO NOT SHARE THE SAME LOBE SEPARATION

The intake lobes do not share the same reference opening and closing numbers in relation to keyway centrelines. Same goes for the exhaust.

The intake lobes are significantly retarded in the D15B vtec engines in comparison to the D16Z6.

The D15B exhaust lobes are slightly retarded in comparison to the Z6.

There is little wonder on the nice power capability of the D15B, despite the displacement "handicap".
I hope that helps, as it helped me a bunch in forcing me to design newer cams for the D15B JDM engines, and the JDM ZC vtec.

Quote from: Bisimoto
The intake is retarded as must as 16 crank degrees, and the exhaust in the 10 crank degree range.

Thanks for the kind words, all!

chris

Re: D16z6 and D15b cam comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »

Irony is the automatic jdm motors always have smaller camshafts. Not by much.
The 5spd have larger

This applies to basically everything over there.

99 percent of the jdm d15b vtec's coming over are automatics. Ill promise the camshaft he got was an auto.

Evans Performance

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:54:53 PM »

yea, i have only seen auto d15b's. i think we had a short discussion about that on the last site. i thought they were automatics.

i wonder what the manual cam is like? i guess it wouldnt matter if they are hard to find.

chris

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »

The 5 spd d15b camshaft is larger I speced it out years ago. They are very hard to find but I usually get atleast a couple 5 spd vtec d15b swaps each year

Its not that uncommon to stumble on one but your going to have to be at a very large importer and become buddy/buddy to get one.

Evans Performance

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »

i will bring that up and see what he says. maybe he can get a hole of a cam from a manual engine and compare.

there is such a huge debate on this that i figured it would be good info to have around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up