:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanting to buying a welder  (Read 22175 times)

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
Wanting to buying a welder
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »

Like the title says, I want to buy a welder. Just not sure which one would be a good choice for what I want to do.

I'd like to be able to weld up exhausts, strut bars, manifolds, maybe rollbars...etc.. the basic car shit.

I'm trying to "expand" my business as around here where I live people have stupid high prices, or there's no one that can do any sort of quality work. I'm tired of paying $50 just to have a piece of flex pipe welded onto my exhaust.

Anyways, I was looking on craigslist and came across this
http://yakima.craigslist.org/tls/1058353839.html

Would that be a good starting welder and last me quite some time? I want something that has the capabilities of putting out some quality welds that I could eventually sell(of course, the welding all depends 90% on me).

I've tig welded aluminum before and did surprisingly well for my first time. So I think I could do pretty good with a few months of practice on a mig.

I was thinking of offering the guy $300 cash. Sound like a good deal?
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

marcj

• Marc Jew
  • Certified OG
  • Never alone, Never again. (NA)
Re: Wanting to buying a welder
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:25:35 AM »

I've heard good things about Smiley Tig welders on ebay.. or save up for a used Miller.

I have NO experience so don't take my word for it. That's where I would start though based on what i've read..

skinnye

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »

I've been wanting to upgrade, rignt now I have a flux core campellfield.  Thing can barely weld sheet metal.

Colin

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:55:07 AM »

That would do just fine. I went and bought a Craftsman MIG quite a few years ago, still rock'n. I think it's a rebadged Lincoln though.

If you're looking for a TIG, this is the one I bought - http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-1748/THERMAL-ARC-DRAGSTER-85/Detail

This is my next one, once I get 220v service - http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/diversion_165/

QikEnuF

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a basic welding setup that someone can recommend

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »

I'm thinking about getting one those cheap mig welder from HB.  ;D

any advice on what to look for and how cheap?

88crex

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:57:09 PM »

I have a millwe 135 mig which is just a newer model of that one you are looking at on CL. I use it for some of the said things like exhaust and things that just need a fix really quick or dont have to look good. I also have a miller syncrowave 200 runner that i use to do all my aluminum and anything that has to look pretty. 

offer him 300 and see what he says. I used to have a miller 130 but sold it when i got my 135. i sold mine for 450 i think with a bottle and homemade shopping cart cart lol.

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »

that clarke should do the trick.  good amperage and its gas capable. 

i would want to stick with miller or lincoln (or hobart).   never heard bad things about the clarkes tho. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:07:00 AM by danz »
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

Atmosfear

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »

Miller FTMFW.

Do they have Pacific Welding Supply stores on your side of the mtns?

I got a used Miller Syncrowave 180SD (TIG) from them several years ago, and I got a Millermatic 180 (MIG) on sale there last year for $650 w/ cart and bottle on sale.
95'#39#39 Civic CX - daily
92'#39#39 Civic VX - rally beater
02'#39#39 WS6 - when I want to remember what tq is like
07'#39#39 Sti - wifey'#39#39s 94'#39#39 S10 - haulin'#39#39 shit beater 90'#39#39 300ZX TT - for sale

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »

Do you have 220 service?  Do you think portability will be an advantage?  What's the thickest stuff you see yourself needing to stick together?

I have three welders.  Acquired in this order:

1)  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55909

It's cheap, especially if you use their online 20% off weekend coupons when it goes on sale.  Can be wired for either 220 or 110.  I did mine for 110 for portability...  I liked that stick gave me the versatility to do different materials without having to keep a bunch of different spools around.  Not to mention spools aren't as quick to change as rods are.

2)  http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p000013.htm 

Don't buy it there...  Look on CL.  I got mine for $60.  That's why I bought it.  I've used it once.  220 is in my future though...  Same stuff as above, can do thicker material.

3)  http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler140/

Bought it at amazon, cause I get an employee discount.  110 so I can take it anywhere.  It'll do all of the projects I have planned for my car in the next couple years... 

more later...  gotta run...

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »

Do you have 220 service?  Do you think portability will be an advantage?  What's the thickest stuff you see yourself needing to stick together?

I have three welders.  Acquired in this order:

1)  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55909

It's cheap, especially if you use their online 20% off weekend coupons when it goes on sale.  Can be wired for either 220 or 110.  I did mine for 110 for portability...  I liked that stick gave me the versatility to do different materials without having to keep a bunch of different spools around.  Not to mention spools aren't as quick to change as rods are.

2)  http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p000013.htm 

Don't buy it there...  Look on CL.  I got mine for $60.  That's why I bought it.  I've used it once.  220 is in my future though...  Same stuff as above, can do thicker material.

3)  http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler140/

Bought it at amazon, cause I get an employee discount.  110 so I can take it anywhere.  It'll do all of the projects I have planned for my car in the next couple years... 

more later...  gotta run...

No, I don't have 220 service, but I'm sure I could figure out how to wire my garage for it. I highly doubt I'll weld up to 1/4" thickness, any time soon at least. I wouldn't mind making some engine mounts in the future, as well as strut bars..etc.

Right now, all I really want is something that can do mostly exhaust work and be presentable(meaning I could sell it without the welds looking like ass).

Does that first welder have the capability to make some decent welds?
www.crzytuning.com

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »

Miler 180 autoset
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »

Right now, all I really want is something that can do mostly exhaust work and be presentable(meaning I could sell it without the welds looking like ass).

Does that first welder have the capability to make some decent welds?

It will make ok welds.  I'll post some pics in a couple days, so you can decide.  I'll put some from the third one up too...

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 01:28:41 AM »

So what's the difference between these 2 welders?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55909
    * Uses 1/16'' electrodes EWS#6011-6017 for best welds up to 1/4'' plate steel
    * Features thermal protection, high temperature warning light, and powder coated finish
    * Includes cables, ground clamp, electrode holder, and welding mask
    * Input power: 115/230 volts AC
    * Single phase
    * Welding current: 30-120 amps
    * Duty cycle: @ 115V: 15% @ 65 amps
    * Duty cycle @ 230V: 6% @ 95 amps
    * 15 amps @ 115 volts
    * Weldable electrodes: 1/16'' to 3/32'' UL listed

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55060

* Input power: 115/230 volts AC
    * Welding current: 30-120 amps
    * Duty cycle: 115V--15% @ 65 amps; 230V--6% @ 95 amps
    * Cables: 6 gauge
    * Weldable electrodes: 1/16" to 5/64"

From what I can tell, the 2nd one is just about the same except it doesn't have all the fancy options(warning lights, etc.) and it can't hold as thick of a wire gauge as the first.

But I decided I'm just going to start small and eventually work my way up. I could always just grind shit down to make it look nice O0. I'm also now lacking on the funds, lol.

**Edit** I like this one too.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55250

It costs 299.99 brand new, but is 109.99 refurbished. I reallly like the option that it's a mig. Think I should buy?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:37:11 AM by d112crzy »
www.crzytuning.com

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 02:18:02 AM »

holy shit, I keep finding more HF welders for nearly the same price.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55525

* Welding current range: 58 to 110 amps
    * Input: single phase 220 volts, 60 Hz
    * Open voltage: 19 to 30
    * Duty cycle: 60% @ 55 amps, 28% @ 80 amps, 15% @ 110 amps
    * Draws 24.5 amps @ 220 volts
    * Weldable wires: 0.023" to 0.035" steel and stainless steel, 0.030" to 0.035" aluminum, 0.030" flux-cored

Which one is best???
www.crzytuning.com

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:53 AM »

i got from guy from here a TIG 130 HF looks OK, was looking some reviews and it's ok for start welding.. they are cheap..

1Fast68

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »

Got a Lincoln 135, It does most jobs, but is a little on the small side when it comes to doing bigger/thicker things like rollbars and such. It will work no doubt, but they aren't mean to be held wide open for long periods.

Any of the above for learning should suit you fine, figure out how much you will use it and purchase accordingly.
 The import scene is traditionally really dumb and everyone in it thinks they’re hot shit. There have ALWAYS been domestics that could flay any import… the simple fact is when you have a car that runs 9s you dont feel the need to hunt down and impress Honda owners

shadow

• Certified OG
  • out either bangin gears or your mom
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »

let us know what you get. i been eyeing a few hf units, but i have nothing to weld now.
'Get the fucking handout and give it to me. I'll put a "Sponsored by Darkelvis Racing" banner on my drag car, and spend the money on crack and hookers.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up