:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My b18 rod swap project  (Read 1765 times)

E-b0la

• Certified OG
My b18 rod swap project
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »

So I started a CNC and machining class and for my first project, I decided to work on a b18 rod swap.

Granted I used a few unconventional methods, but It's a CNC class so I wanted to use the mill wherever I could.

To press the pins out I bored a saddle in a 4x4 using the 4 jaw chuck in the lathe. This held the b18 piston securely while I pressed them out with a turned down aluminum pin.

Next I moved on to taking the .020" off of each side. My rods, mic'd in a .838"

The first thing I did was take a piece of 3"x3"x1" aluminum to make a fixture from. I used Mazatrol on the machine to write the program which is awesome for doing small programs, no coding required, just enter features and parameters and it will write the program for you.

The idea I used was to make an oversized circular boss to clamp the rod onto. The diameter was .005" over the bearing ID.

Fixture:

Here's the machine. It's a Mazak Nexus VCN 410-A. Pretty much brand new. lol the machine talks to you to. I just wish I could get it a sexier voice. It sounds like a female version of microsoft sam, all choppy and shit.

I posted in the b18 swap thread, because I goofed up a little on the last rod. I had the cap on the wrong way. anways the rod's big end will end up being .892" Is that too small or will it be fine?

I'll update this as I go. Next are the bushings.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:15:22 PM by E-b0la »
Pages: [1]   Go Up