:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best way to get a snap ring on and off the Holset HX35 compressor housing  (Read 8257 times)

marcj

• Marc Jew
  • Certified OG
  • Never alone, Never again. (NA)

I've done it once before, and never wished to do it again (using channel lock pliers). Taking the ring out obviously is the easiest by all means, but putting it back in was pretty ridiculous with the pliers I have) Does anyone have a better method? I know cummins has a tool for it (snap ring pliers?). any advice is appreciated as usual  :)

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North

I use the overpriced snap on locking snap ring pliers.
92GSR - mild interest

TTC

• Certified OG

A few years ago i got a 14b.  I tried to remove the damned snap ring without proper tools.  We welded spikes toa pair of vicegrips and with some fucking around i got them on and off.  Last month i bought some channel lock reversible snap ring pliers.  I wanted to cockpunmch myself for waiting this long to get them, instead of fucking around with a giant ring for 50minutes it took 5.

Spend the 30bux, get a really good set and you'll love life.

patsmx5

• Certified OG

+1 for getting a GOOD set. I had an autozone special set and they sucked balls. Now I got Craftsman's and they're pretty good. Never mess with snap rings without the piers. A good set comes with a lot of different tip sizes, angled tips, etc. so you can get in at weird angles. Only way to do snap rings.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

E-b0la

• Certified OG

just buy snap ring pliers

Tim

• Certified OG

weld 2 washers to it

install a 3" long section of allthread or a mostly threaded 1/4-20 bolt, and a nut

tighten it on turbo, loosen nut to seat into comp housing
+1
Blaast welded washers on to mine and they're my only hope when the turbo is on the car.
I couldn't see buying a massive set of pliers I'd never use on anything else being easier. That fucker is huge

oinesra

On my schwitzer I was able to take it off with 2 roofing nails and plyers.

But dude their is a harbour frieght like 10 min from you. Just give them a 5dollar food sstamp and you can get a 137 piece snapring plyer set.

turbowagonman

iv'e not found any snapring pliers big enough for that snapring. I use two pair if standard visegrips. I use one to hold the snapring in the groove on one side near the end, and grab the other tab and tweak it out, then pop the other visegrip off. kindof the same way to get it back in. my snapring had one side broke off when I started, so thats how I figured out how to do it that way.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!

my hx35 had both holes for snap ring pliers, as well as tabs that pointed up which you could use a pair of pliers on. i just used channellocks and it came off just fine
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken

With a little modification, these work awesome on 14b's

Pages: [1]   Go Up