:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this count as a legit rebuild? Advice?  (Read 13765 times)

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
Does this count as a legit rebuild? Advice?
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I really want to drive my fucking BMW and money + time VS reliability are a very difficult balancing act for me right now.

I have a few lightly damaged pistons in the motor. I thought over a ton of possibilities and where the car is right now, the bottom end has to stay in. So if I buy a set of used pistons and rods, and just put them into my motor with new bearings and new rings it should be a "non naggered" rebuild IMO and last a bit... right?
I could also do just pistons in the cyls that look damaged and just put new rings on them... or reuse the ones that they come with (out of the JY)?

I am going to flush the entire engine out (water and oil jackets) and then clean it really well. I will inspect the bearings on the crank and replace if they look bad.

I'm just not in the money right now niggas  ::)
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

Tim

• Certified OG
Re: Does this count as a legit rebuild? Advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »

If you clean it good enough and throw a hone on they cyl walls yeah it should last a while, it's whatever you wanna do man.

look at my ride, I polled everyone about which motor i should use.  Then still decided to use the one I was going to and decided all of your reasons against it would just give me an excuse to not expect it to last, learn a bit, throw some big boost at it and not be afraid to grenade it everywhere.

d-rail

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:39 AM »

Junk yard rebuild and some motor honey, then sell or trade the bitch off and be done with it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:03:59 AM by d-rail »

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:52:54 AM »

Yeah hone the cylinders don't just toss used slugs and rings in. brand new rings would be good too.
92GSR - mild interest

d-rail

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:04:27 AM »

Junk yard rebuild and some motor honey, then sell or trade the bitch off and be done with it.

Best advice for a junk motor man......True story.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »

Arnold,

If you have damaged piston(s) all of the other pistons are damaged as well even if they aren't acting up yet.  Stress fractures are a bitch like that.  I've had motors come apart (9:1 LS/VTEC with a simple 75 shot) because one piston was pulled out of a bullshit engine, "but it wasn't damaged like the others, I 'looked' at it!"

Replace all the slugs, sluggo.

You can do a neat job of it, too, there are a lot of guys that leave their engines in while doing a mild performance rebuild.  Just get some decent hones and hone long, grasshopper; once you get through the glaze all you've done is expose worn down crosshatches that aren't fit to break in anything.  A couple thousandths extra clearances with a boosted motor is what you want, both piston to wall and ring end gap, and it won't hurt anything performance or mpg wise for the first 40-50K miles.  Like you expect it to last that long with how hard you are on that dirty slut.

Don't listen to these guys telling you to do a dirty cobble job, you spend all of $100 more, spend an extra three hours keeping it clean and legit, and do it with pride and quality.  Just because it's a budget/barebones rebuild doesn't mean it's a hack job.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:51:33 PM »

i've "rebuilt" several engines where all you give it is a hone, pistons, and new bearings.

worked fine for me. you tend to do it a lot when ring lands break all the time

Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »

Sounds good guys, over the next two weeks I am supposed to be picking up 1 M50tu engine, 1 M50NV engine, 1M50tu bottom end, and then will decide which slugs to put in my bitch. Going to pull my old rotating assy, hone the cyls in the car, install new rings and bearings, put in the piston rod combo as a whole and keep it to a mild 20psi now that I figured out where I fucked up last time.  :yes:
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:46:32 AM »

i think i figured out where you fucked up... russians suck at tuning bmws  :-X put the holset on the gaypride neon
Pages: [1]   Go Up