:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: machine work cost?  (Read 17266 times)

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
machine work cost?
« on: March 21, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »

I'm broke as piss right now and realized on my manifold both the head flange and turbo flange are a little out of whack so I need them...planed? I dunno wtf you would call it but how much should I expect to pay for that?

chris

Re: machine work cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »

Find a shop run by one guy. If not you will pay flat rate one hour fee. Small shop/one dude he will charge actual time.

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 04:51:16 PM »

big belt sander!
OG before the OG'#039#039s

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 04:55:52 PM »

big belt sander!

+1 get a cheap one at Hf I which I would have done it my self.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »

when i go in to get turbo manifolds decked/planed i pay a flat rate of $25 and he does whatever he can get to.

some times he can't reach a wastegate flange without hitting the runners, so he doesn't try.

Dweezil

• Michigan Civics
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »

Staple a sheet of sandpaper to a 2x12 and slowly run the flanges over that. It also works for leveling lawnmower cylinder heads.

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »

I have an HF belt sander like http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6852

It works mint. I'd say send it to me and Ill knock it down for you but the shipping cost alone isn't worth it.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »

I might try the 2x4 method  8)

caged

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »

Best of luck, I did mine on my big belt sander and it took fucken ages.
The shop wanted $55 to put it in the mill, I got my belt sander for $50 and did my flange and have used the belt sander fucken heaps :noel:
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 11:55:38 PM »

Worst case, send it to me and I can knock it down and send it back. Just handle the shipping.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

d-rail

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 04:25:11 AM »

Worst case, send it to me and I can knock it down and send it back. Just handle the shipping.

Got to love the hood up with help even if it does cost a little more just cause you know it'd be done right and true.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »

my arms are sore, but on the bright side I'm at least 1% done.  It's like ribbon candy.   I didnt know it was that messed up until I started sanding the high spots.

Just saw this at lowes while I was buying sanding supplies.  Wife had to stop me from buying it

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »

are you painting the flange, so you can see where you have sanded and where you still need to go?
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 08:29:40 PM »

are you painting the flange, so you can see where you have sanded and where you still need to go?

right now im just using surface rust for that but once I get close I'm gonna put a thin coat of spraypaint on it

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »

right now im just using surface rust for that but once I get close I'm gonna put a thin coat of spraypaint on it

It doesnt have to be even close to flat to seal good.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 09:03:15 PM »

It doesnt have to be even close to flat to seal good.

X2 Bolt it on, run it, when it's still hot torque it down.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »

I've surfaced several small engine cylinder heads by putting sandpaper on a piece of something that's flat. IE-1" thick glass, slab or granite, surface block if you have one, etc. Can also make a surface block with a few layers of MDF glued together.

That said, I surfaced my shit with a bastard file and used heavy grease on the turbo and WG flanges. No leaks.  8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »

Spray copper is a wonderful thing too.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »

I used both new gaskets and copper before.  Still leaked.  the head flange is cured out in the direction of the runners (away from the head) so it's a tough spot to seal.  If I had to eyeball it against the straightedge, I'd say 3/32nds or so out.  I made some progress yesterday and will finish up today and keep my fingers crossed

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »

so I got wood and screwed some 40grit to it.

About 3hrs of sanding

then primer

then angle-ground some high spots

then sand

then primer

then angle grinder again

then primer

then sanding

lots of copper spray

no leaks :)

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »

That said, I surfaced my shit with a bastard file and used heavy grease on the turbo and WG flanges. No leaks.  8)

+1232563

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »

+1232563
Yeap, grease worked well.

Pic of flange after surfacing with a bastard file. You can see where it removed the high spots.  :noel:

There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 03:37:23 PM »

I need a kickass file.  Woulda helped a lot

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

I need a kickass file.  Woulda helped a lot
Lowes has a set of files for like 10 bucks. That's what I used. Just put the file against something flat so it doesn't bend. I just put the file against a flat board and went to town. Only took maybe 3 minutes to surface the turbo flange. It's surely within .005, which is good enough for grease to seal it up. No gasket obviously. Head flange I didn't surface as that will bend into shape when torqued, heated, and retorqued.

caged

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:53 AM »

[/quote]
 It's surely within .005, which is good enough for grease to seal it up. No gasket obviously. Head flange I didn't surface as that will bend into shape when torqued, heated, and retorqued.
[/quote]

How good does grease work? Is it just normal cv grease or sumthing, How does it go with 800c and 20psi?
I hoped my head flange would pull in when heated but it fucken didnt >:(
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 02:04:58 AM »

How good does grease work? Is it just normal cv grease or sumthing, How does it go with 800c and 20psi?
Its the only thing that I haven't had leak.  It burns off and just leaves hard carbon which is why it works well.  Take it easy for a while let it idle so you don't just blow it out when its still grease.  It needs time to burn off to harden up.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »

It's surely within .005, which is good enough for grease to seal it up. No gasket obviously. Head flange I didn't surface as that will bend into shape when torqued, heated, and retorqued.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I used some heavy grease I bought at Autozone. Just thick high temp grease. It turns into carbon when it gets hot enough and the carbon seals up the flange. As mentioned, let it idle and drive it easy (no boost) to let it all burn into carbon.

As for the head flange, the miata uses a mulit layer steel gasket. Between that and retorqing cold after it's heat cycled a few times, my shit holds and don't leak.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »

learn something new everyday.  i never would have thought of using grease for gaskets.

I'll check out Lowes for files  8)

Toysrme

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 02:26:12 AM »

grand dad's biggest old hit & miss engine's head gasket had been blown since i was born. got tired of it one day afew years ago. sanded both the head & block down with 80 grit. sprayed 3M 77 on an aluminum level to hold the paper. used the level because it was the only thing laying around that had milled sides that were guaranteed to be flat to some degree of accuracy (not high)
traced a new gasket out of a (grossly overpriced) roll of copper from hobbylobby.
ringed it with a nickel-steel E string off a guitar by taping it to the block, installing the head & beating the shit out of it with a block of wood & 6# sledge to seat the wire.
didn't have copper kote, but used an old can of whatever GM's version of copper kote is
it gets run maybe 2-10 a year to pump water out of a spring/rain filled well when its filling too high or cut up trees, but its run without leaking since.

can't really see it in this picture, it had changed color by then and the engine is old green paint so it kinda camos it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up