:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: getting crap inconsistant welds *pics  (Read 14806 times)

• Certified OG
getting crap inconsistant welds *pics
« on: March 13, 2009, 03:58:31 AM »

i been having this problem for a while i think it started when i got my last bottle of c25 but might be unrelated, sometimes right away or sometimes not till the end of a bead i get this crater lookin shitty holes in the welds i think it might have somthing to do with gas flow, i have it set around 20 with the trigger pulled, i cleaned my nozzle n shit not sure what else it could be..

heres a bead i put down

looks like shit, so i do another side right after and it looks pretty normal

CSaddict

• Certified OG
Re: getting crap inconsistant welds *pics
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »

Looks like a wire feeding issue from the pics. Are you using a long extension cord? Can you hear the machine struggle a bit as you move? Hows the ground clamp? Does it get hot while you weld?
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »

no extension, the wire to the to the outlet from the panel is even new, and its not a very long run from the box, machine doesnt get hot at all on the outside at least, clamp looks ok? its a handler 187  and it only has about two 2lb spools through it its not even a yr old

i thought forsure it was a gas related issue cause one time i didnt turn the gas on it looked like shit and had holes like that in the welds but worse, only thing i can think of is the wire spool is to tight or somthing maybe? isnt there a test for that?

BoostForLife

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »

Welding without gas looks different.
Im thinking inconsistent wire feed.

Voltage look fine.

Make sure you don't have kink/bends in your gas line and the whip/gun cable/hose setup.

Evans Performance

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »

kinda looks like a wire feed issue. try cleaning the rollers with a scotch brite pad and also make sure the spool spins smooth. you want some slight tension but not much

Spoolinzc

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 02:09:27 AM »

clean the metal real good and try to keep your nozzledirectly over the puddle with like a 20 degree angle and pushing the puddle not pulling it
ZCR.COM--Member

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »

thats not the problem i know it..  a wire feed or gas issue seems alot more beliveable
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:11:10 AM by 7808 »

Spoolinzc

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 01:24:50 AM »

check for leaks in your lines everywhere or see if your regulator is leaking or the bottle is all the way open
ZCR.COM--Member

Zeniceguycrx

• Certified OG
  • BIG BOOST OG RICER, The one and only
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »

looks like
a, clean your metel first
b, looks like no penetraition
The 30psi king of rice

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 01:39:26 AM »

shit was clean, it just looks wierd in the pics, it happens random on the same piece  so i know its somthing other then just plain poor prep,  and its penatrating exacly how i want it to, that larger tube goes over a fork of a motorcyle and needs to stay smooth inside, i belive its penatrating enough when its not doin whatever it is in the 1st pic

Spoolinzc

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »

Maybe you just werent cut out to be a weldor.
ZCR.COM--Member

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 01:16:35 AM »

Lets go over the basics. You're welding 'towards' the unwelded section, 15* from perpendicular? Your wire spool nut is BARELY dragging? Your stinger's cable isn't kinked, and you weld with it as straight as you can? Your stinger's cable liner isn't fucked to hell from running rusty wire, etc? Your regulator isn't fucked up or partially clogged? Your C25 gas isn't shit (it happens!)?? Your ground clamp isn't coverd in shit, preventing a good ground?

If it does this even with a good cleaning, it's probably something from that list. If you aren't cleaning, there's a chance it hits some oil/etc that has enough gunk in it to cause some serious crap to form/displace the sheilding gas.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:35 PM »

i weld both ways, push and pull, not sure why i just do whatever, usually either way they look good/the same , this just happens once and a while, i can get this holy shit, then do the same thing on the same piece and get different results, i think its gas or wire related not dirty metal, i guess poor ground could be too if its not clamping good..

i dont know how it looks in the picture but that is bare never coated mild steel that i hit with a bench grinder wire wheel before welding,  and i've made good welds on shit thats alot worse looking thats why i think its somthing else.. the regulator is only been on one other bottle sence new and its less then a year old, the nut on the spool seems to be adjusted right so fuck

SirDragsAlot

• if you aint baggin' you aint draggin'
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 01:40:14 AM »

well, mig welding is crap anyways, arc or tig is way better.  how much gas are you flowing?, it should be 20 to 30 lbs.  was there and wind or breeze?  what gas are you using? dont use argon with a mig, use a c02/argon mix. as well you are welding what appears to be cold rolled steel, which has a slag coating on it.  you wire spool should have just enough tension to stop the wire from unravelling.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »

well, mig welding is crap anyways, arc or tig is way better.  how much gas are you flowing?, it should be 20 to 30 lbs.  was there and wind or breeze?  what gas are you using? dont use argon with a mig, use a c02/argon mix. as well you are welding what appears to be cold rolled steel, which has a slag coating on it.  you wire spool should have just enough tension to stop the wire from unravelling.

1) Mig welding is crap is an opinion statement at best. It seems fine to do structural welding, so I'm sure it will be fine for that.
2) 100% Argon well it is a more pricey option, welds just fine with Mig
3) HOT ROLLED steel has Mill scale, COLD ROLLED does not, this is one of the many reasons Cold rolled is nearly twice the price.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

slappynuts

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »

Clean your tip and make sure the wire isnt binding.

Spoolinzc

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 05:40:08 PM »

If you want a good gas to use and not have to worry about anything use 90/10 or 92/8 those gases kick ass welding hot or cold i use them everyday
ZCR.COM--Member

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »

Fix your shitty ground.

/thread.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Toysrme

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:49:24 PM »

feed is fine, ground is fine, its the gas

take the machine apart and check all internal connections, check the regulator, supply line & the supply line in your torches lead.

also take the tank back where you got it ASAP and tell them you have been having some major porosity problems with this tank of gas, while your other tank is fine. tank has water in it, or is improperly mixed.

Toysrme

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »

oh and brush that scale/coating off the pipe

SirDragsAlot

• if you aint baggin' you aint draggin'
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »

good point, perhaps that tank of gas is bad, ive had few bad tanks in the past, it does happen.

Toysrme

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »

btw "clean" doesn't mean clean it with windex, or even a hard solvent like acetone or spirits. It means wire brushings and or grinding down to BARE FRESH METAL. That pipe you were welding looks like it has an alumanized coating on it with massive amounts of scale under that.

grind that shit to bare metal and weld another up.

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »

just ignore the pipe, i dont know why it looks like that, its mild steel (never aluminized) 1.5" exhaust pipe that i hit with a brush, i welded plenty of that shit with no problem looking like it did

it will do this on any metal, even painted metal i had to grind down bare so its forsure BARE ive had it happen..   ive welded all kinds of shitty shit - this shit is random and will hapen on bare ASS metal

by the way some people access the internet at work, i know you think its pretty rad that you can put some naked bitch in every post you make but its fuckin stupid. bitch has a dog face anyways. nice teats.

thanks for your input though (seriously)

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »

i think ill just go get a new fuckin bottle of gas  >:(

Toysrme

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »

your ignorant because:
1) you're viewing hmt at work
2) you've not used your disable avatar & signature settings in your profile
3) you can't weld yet and you're bitching at honestly the one person here that can likely help your welding the most.

:P

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »

i weld just fine  :P  this is examples of my worse welds to show a problem, definently not a pro though

and i dont want to disable pics for good just because of yours,  just dont want to look like an idiot at work with big animated pictures on my monitor

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 11:48:11 AM »

That steel is hot rolled, not aluminized, and if you want good results you should grind it off.

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »

i know what kinda pipe is its, ignore the work piece because it happens on bare clean metal too

i think whoever said porosity called it what it is, i googled some pictures of that shit and its what i was getting, didnt mater how clean the metal was i was welding.. i think somthing else was causing it , i exchanged my gas tank and checked all my shit over on my welder im gona see if it takes care of it.. 

from what i read, porosity = weak weld -   and i need to get my shit workin right so i can weld on my bike frame
Pages: [1]   Go Up