:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ls vtec head gasket leak. (oil)  (Read 6733 times)

fuse

Ls vtec head gasket leak. (oil)
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »

Ok so now the ls vtec I built has a head gasket leak (oil) timing belt side exhaust side. Contacted golden eagle they said try a gsr head gasket? I drilled the dowel holes bigger during engine assembly. Double checked the head gasket is not on upside down or backwards. I removed the to brass rings on the ls head gasket exhaust side. Re torqued the arp head studs.

So my question is will the gsr gasket work? Do I have to modify it in any way?

DasPoop

• Certified OG
Re: Ls vtec head gasket leak. (oil)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:36:56 PM »

i suppose a gsr one would work? I always run ls ones due to the fact the ls block has different oiling than the gsr blocks. i would say get the head skimmed and go from there
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

fuse

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »

Ya I straight edged it. It was fine. The block was fine to. Its just the one corner i have a feeling it was due to drilling on the head gasket.The gasket fit over the dowels perfect not to tight not to loose just like it was stock. If I can use a gsr I should not have to modify anything I would think?

I know the oil feed in the center of the block is in the same location I just don't know if everything else lines up? Or why golden eagle would say to use that part?

This is the email I got

People have had numerous problems with sealing when using the stock LS gasket. This is why we always use and suggest the Vtec gasket (B18C) on all the LS/VTEC builds. You can place an order via our website, gasket cost is of $101.95 + shipping. Please reply if you have further questions or concerns, thank you.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »

101$ for a gsr head gasket  :o

My custom cometic didnt even cost that.

I say get yourself a good mls ls gasket give it some copper spray and go from there.
the gsr gasket has the vtec oiling hole among other differences
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:07:34 AM »

Then...

'01 Teg GSR, headgasket listed is 12251-P30-014. $66 at Delray Acura (http://www.acuraoemparts.com), $64 at hondapartsdeals (del sol vtec, civic [ek] si). A b18b1 HG is the same price at acura, at least the recommended LIST price is the same. Some counter fucks jack up certain prices.

The only thing I can think of at this point is if the dowels are bottmed out. How much of the head/deck were shaved off? If any, you need to shorten the dowels nearly that much.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:09:37 AM by HiProfile »
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

fuse

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »

I think the head was milled some before. I did not trim the dowel pins. It dose look like that side of the head is tiping a bit. Thanks good call.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »

I think the head was milled some before. I did not trim the dowel pins. It dose look like that side of the head is tiping a bit. Thanks good call.
The dowel pins get overlooked so often.

Even when everything is alright, they will still weep a little bit of oil.  I smear a very thin layer of ultra grey RTV around the oil drainback passages on the gasket; it seems to do the trick.

fuse

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »

I was planing on doing that too. Thanks. Ya dowel pins did not even cross my mind. I did not have any smoke, oil is not milky so i think the cylinder sealed but probably would have opened up over time. At least I didn't hydro lock the motor. I have used milled heads before just not on a ls vtec with the stepped dowel pins but I will probably trim dowel pins from now on.

Thanks all for the help.

jabberwock

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:07 AM »

My first motor didn't have dowel pins  :mexi:

Lasted 60k until I bottle necked a stud when changing the headgasket which probably popped on initial startup  :noel:

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »

Interesting about using a vtec gasket as opposed to non-vtec...

I shortened the dowels a little and beveled the edges so it would go in the holes a bit easier...  Felpro LS headgasket wouldn't fit the dowels and I didn't have a way to drill them larger...so I put a socket over the dowel hole on the gasket, and hammered it down over the dowels.  Warped the gasket a little around the holes, obviously, but with the ARPs torqued it hasn't leaked in 10k miles...

Cometic lined up and fit the dowels perfectly.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:24:41 PM »

Even when everything is alright, they will still weep a little bit of oil.  I smear a very thin layer of ultra grey RTV around the oil drainback passages on the gasket; it seems to do the trick.

I find it's better to fix the root of the issue. I plug the oil jet.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »

Isnt that the no1 thing you do to the vtec head is plug vtec galley jet??

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »

You mean the galley plug in the deck of the head?  Been there, done that, they still weep oil unless other measures are taken.

Maybe it's a band-aid fix, but it works pretty well.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »

I wrapped the plug in a bunch of teflon tape, tapped it with a tapered tap, then with a straight one.  Screwed in nice and toight, and last time I took the engine apart I didn't see any sign of oil around it.

fuse

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »

gsr head gasket did the trick. I didn't trim the pins they looked plenty short. I think me drilling the gasket didn't work. It looked like the drill I was using was rolling the gasket instead of cutting it. It was nice not having to modify shit.Learned the hard way once again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up