:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DD Help  (Read 4602 times)

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
DD Help
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:32:28 PM »

I have a 1998 honda civic SI, as my dd, it has 330,000km's on it, and is 100% stock.

It has developed a low to medium pitch whine from the passenger side rear, it is loud enough that to drown it out with the radio, the radio has to be at an uncomfortable level. My first thought was wheel bearings, as shortly after I got the car, the front wheel bearings went and they had a similar whine. It needed rear brakes so last weekend, I put new rear drums, shoes, hardware and new SKF Rear hub / wheel bearing assemblies on the car. No luck the noise is still there.

Here are my observations to this point:
-Speed dependent grows louder with speed
-Not load dependent at all, same in neutral coasting or with the foot on the clutch, or even car off going down a hill, same going around corners, or straight.
-Tires seem to be wearing even, all have 40-41psi pressure in them.
-Tires are Michelin hydro edges with ~80% tread.

I drive about 50miles a day 40miles on the freeway at 60-70mph, this sound is driving me nuts, please HELP.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:46:46 PM by dvst8r »
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

89hatchsir

Re: DD Help
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »

Sounds like a wheel bearing.

Find out where lexi Belle lives I wanna rape her. and by rape I mean sweet gentle love....of the ass....and mouth

jagojon3

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »

I second wheel bearing, you didn't replace it right?

Turkey soup pancakes sir

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »

How did you tighten the Cv-axle nuts?

If you used a impact you should of used a torque wrench.

Learn that the hard way end up replacing all the front hub bearings. ;D

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »

I am a fuck up, but it is hard to fuck up the rear wheel bearing.

You pull off the wheel, pull off the drum, undo the big nut, slide off the hub / wheel bearing assembly, slide on the new one, slide the notch'd washer on, torque big nut back to 134ft lbs, slide drum back on, put wheel back on, torque wheel nuts to 80ft lbs.

Both the new bearings felt exactly the same to spin, I guess it is a possibility that it is a bad unit new, but it seems unlikely.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

BoostForLife

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »

Your SI is same as our EX, right?
You're in Canada?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:59:27 PM »

I was refering to the front bearings. I believe you said you replaced the front bearing a while ago.
If you replaced the cv-axles recently you may have not torqued the nuts properly.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:25:57 PM »

Your SI is same as our EX, right?
You're in Canada?

I am in Canada, and I believe it is similar, we have an EX here as well as the SI

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »

I was refering to the front bearings. I believe you said you replaced the front bearing a while ago.
If you replaced the cv-axles recently you may have not torqued the nuts properly.

I did the front's in October last year. I replaced the CV's at the same time. I am a little obsessive when it comes to torquing things (I torque valve cover bolts), I even have torque adapters for bolts you can't get a socket on (kinda like crows feet, but a specified length so you can calculate torque). They were torqued with a snap on 1/2" torque wrench, that had been calibrated less then 3 months prior.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:35:51 PM »

Tomorrow if it is not raining anymore, I am going to pull apart the passenger side rear again, re do it all and see if it helps.

If it doesn't I am going to through one of my old bald tires on that wheel and see if it changes anything. If that doesn't change anything, I am going to put the front end on a tow dolly, and tow it with my truck, just to make sure that it isn't a front noise that is some how appearing to be a rear noise.

If I still can't figure it out after all of that, I am going to sell it and buy another car.

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »

rotate the tires
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:05 PM »

rotate the tires

I will tomorrow after work.

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »

yeah sounds like the tires not sure if one of your rubber bushing or whatever if they go bad could make that kind of noise/////or maybe your e-break cable is messed up of something causing it to pull the brake a little so that your brake pad is touching your rotor////and my last thought is maybe the medal shield/plate behind your rotor is bend and is rubbing your rotor and while you drive it is making the noise but just a few things i could think of that wasn't already mentioned    :-\
stock b20-vtec + 342hp 247wtq = NO TRACTION

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 12:10:27 AM »

Ok, I went and fucked with it tonight.

First thing I did, was pull that rear wheel, and throw on an old bald ass tire and wheel I have in the garage. Noise GONE!  ;D

So I looked at this wheel and tire and noticed there was a fair amount of dirt still in the wheel from the winter, cleaned that all back up, put it on, torqued it down, noise still there.... Fuck.

Now this one rim is different then all the others, the others look more like factory steelies, and this one is a multi fit universal steelie. It has a much bigger hub hole then the normal Honda ones. It tightens down fine, and has been on the car for 20,000km+ but for some reason over the last bit it has started to make this noise.

So I rotated it to the front, put the factory style wheel on the back, and the noise is greatly reduced. Even though I can live with the sound now, I can't live with the "issue". So I am going to go by the auto wreckers tomorrow after work, and get another factory style wheel and have that tire swapped on.

Maybe they will even trade me straight across for the multi fit wheel...

One more note, while I was spending all this time under the car, I noticed that all the bushings are really bad, so I ordered a total kit from prothane. I am sure that will provide hrs of amusement trying to uninstall and re install.  ::)

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 12:22:29 AM »

More like hours of you swearing at the car and brianna and ate, getting sticky urethane grease everywhere and just basically hating life.
92GSR - mild interest

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »

More like hours of you swearing at the car and brianna and ate, getting sticky urethane grease everywhere and just basically hating life.

That too, other then I try to leave brianna and ate out of it, or I have to make my own dinner, which really sucks after spending all day swearing and kicking the car.

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »

yeah have fun with those bushings :yes:
stock b20-vtec + 342hp 247wtq = NO TRACTION

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »

a torch is your best friend
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »

I have decided to wait to do the bushings till after my truck is back on the road, as I can see this starting out as a weekend project, and turning into a 5am Monday morning, supposed to be leaving for work shortly and still not done sorta project.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »

a torch is your best friend

X9823746198732548123548

I have decided to wait to do the bushings till after my truck is back on the road, as I can see this starting out as a weekend project, and turning into a 5am Monday morning, supposed to be leaving for work shortly and still not done sorta project.

True that. Make sure you have another car to driive and set aside a few days. I tried to explane this to my father-in-law about his crx and all he said was "I got a big vice, Im sure I can press those honda bushings out with ease" I then asked him if he wanted to get his torch set from me, He then said "naaaaa I wont need them" 2 days later I get a call. "Hey do you think I could grab that torch set?" I asked him "howed that work out for you, that big vice you got?" He then stated " I need to get a new vice, I busted the handle off of mine when I stuck my 4' pipe on it"

Needless to say torch the rubber out, cut 2 slits in the sleeve of the bushing 1/4" apart from eachother, peal the 1/4" strip out with a chissle, and knock the rest of the sleeve out with a socket or whatever. Then grab that sticky ass grease and get dirty with it.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437
Pages: [1]   Go Up