:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbo Pressure vs. Horsepower in relation to Ignition Timing  (Read 2210 times)

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
Turbo Pressure vs. Horsepower in relation to Ignition Timing
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »

well this topic came up in my other thread but i wanted to get more of a discussion from it.  All the engine managements (honda based at least) have a boost retard per psi which is pretty standard and needed but what variable has more of an effect on ignition timing?  PSI or Horsepower?  I would imagine horsepower has more of an effect since the more power the engine makes, the more work it has to do and therefore the more the timing has to be retarded.  The same is true for turbo pressure but how does it compare to horsepower?

We all know that a smaller turbo on 10lbs is going to make less power than a larger turbo at the same pressure (given other variables are the same).  So how is the ignition timing effected?

can this be related to the dynamic compression ratio when in boost?  The higher the dynamic compression (increased boost) the more power it has the ability to make (witin the turbo limits) before reaching the knock limit.

discuss
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
Re: Turbo Pressure vs. Horsepower in relation to Ignition Timing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »

can this be related to the dynamic compression ratio when in boost?  The higher the dynamic compression (increased boost) the more power it has the ability to make (witin the turbo limits) before reaching the knock limit.

discuss
answerd imho only thing that confuese me is how on the load dyno when in a vacume colum i can reach mbt add 2-3 deg before power dropps off. (platue or how ever you spell it) but when in boost i never get a platue i just make power till it drops 2-3 hp and add 1 more deg drop 5 bring back 2 degree's and be back up were i was. so i generaly from there remove another degree or so to compensate for if any ignition corrections that will add timing on me. ( off topic)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:44:50 AM by lilpooh21186 »
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

bigwig

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »

well this topic came up in my other thread but i wanted to get more of a discussion from it.  All the engine managements (honda based at least) have a boost retard per psi which is pretty standard and needed but what variable has more of an effect on ignition timing?  PSI or Horsepower?  I would imagine horsepower has more of an effect since the more power the engine makes, the more work it has to do and therefore the more the timing has to be retarded.  The same is true for turbo pressure but how does it compare to horsepower?

We all know that a smaller turbo on 10lbs is going to make less power than a larger turbo at the same pressure (given other variables are the same).  So how is the ignition timing effected?

discuss

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=9841.0

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »

The D16 ignition timing thread already covers this subject.  With all engines being slightly to completely different, all the setup info and timing table screenshots I posted are either gold or as ultimately worthless as this thread.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »

BOW DOWN TO THA GRANDMASTER OF THE INTERNETS
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance
Pages: [1]   Go Up