Forum > Fabrication

making my 73 ford courier go fast, turn, and stop

<< < (82/83) > >>

fastivab6tg25mr:
More updates: what i thought was going to be a quick sensor swap turned into a huge pain in the ass. I got rid of my VR to square wave adapter and went with a Tick Performance hall sensor that goes directly into the Tremec TKX. After installing it I found that the MS3X has a VSS frequency limitation of around 500htz so it worked great until about 40mph then it went to 0mph. The solution I came up with was to turn down the sensor housing to put it in the diff to pick up on the 8.8s ABS ring. Turns out the ABS ring teeth are too small to register with the sensor. I then had to pull the diff, put a big ol booger weld making one big tooth to make the 1/4"x1/4"x1/4" cube for reliable sensor pick up. While I was welding it up I found the Timkin bearings for the 8.8 stick too far through the race and were hitting the carrier bearing shims. On the plus side since the bearing were off I was able to put the diff in the lathe and clean up the sensor tooth profile. I replaced the bearings and shims with the ones from Ford Racing. Got to set accurate preload of my new bearings with my new diff spreader. But to use the diff spreader I had to make adapter. After all that I now have a diff that is preloaded properly with bearings that don't rub the shims, and a speedometer that works accurately. What a pain in the ass these last few weeks have been.

On the plus side I did wash it for the first time in a very long time and take it to a local car show. It's fun to watch a bunch of old Hot Rodders stare at my engine bay in confusion and not comprehend how my 2.0 makes more power than their big block.

92CXyD:
bet your truck would break hearts, when racing those same old Hot Rodders  :noel: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

fastivab6tg25mr:
Yea, it's hard to bait them into committing to a full run, once they hear the turbo and the wastegate open they usually shut it down and pretend they weren't going.

random-strike:
no way in hell that thing is beating muh v8

92CXyD:

--- Quote from: random-strike on May 09, 2024, 12:20:58 PM ---no way in hell that thing is beating muh v8

--- End quote ---

Would like to see this race, both of ya come Wyoming and settle this, I'll officiate  ;DDD  O0  :mexi:  :noel:  :evil:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version