:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ideas on how to bring import work to a domestic dominant shop  (Read 15105 times)

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
ideas on how to bring import work to a domestic dominant shop
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »

Give me ideas.  So far I just started paying for advertising space (its cheap so why not) on a local forum but something is telling me its not getting the message across since i'm advertising not only myself but the shop as well.  I just started working here about 6 months ago and its been a domestic dominant shop for the 5 years its been open.  It's a great experience learning the fords and chevys but i am more efficient working around the imports since i am more familiar with them and obviously that helps my tuning business as well and tuning is where I can make the most money.

Anyone got any creative thoughts?

if not............

go kill yourself.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: ideas on how to bring import work to a domestic dominant shop
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »

Do a car build on some of the local forums. Go in depth on what your doing and post results.

Basically, show the locals that you know your shit.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

You are just advertising? Are you showing results of any of your builds or tuning? In depth threads and vids on Youtube/Streetfire would help
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »

Don't bother.  For th most part, imports are a low profit circus unless you're working on the newer or high end ones.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

Do a car build on some of the local forums. Go in depth on what your doing and post results.

Basically, show the locals that you know your shit.

I've got the new build on there right now and I have gone into enough depth without leaking some of the things my builder doesnt want posted since i'm not building this block.  I wish I would have been around that place when I did the first one but this new one will display mostly my tuning abilities.  I dont currently have the tools to feel comfortable building a motor for customers but if business picks up with imports i'll be able to buy the tools and advertise that line.  I have the knowledge and ability to do so, but knowledge and ability doesnt see an egged cylinder or other faults.

Thanks
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »

You are just advertising? Are you showing results of any of your builds or tuning? In depth threads and vids on Youtube/Streetfire would help

hmm, some youtube videos would be cool.  Thanks
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 03:03:11 PM »

Don't bother.  For th most part, imports are a low profit circus unless you're working on the newer or high end ones.

so you are suggesting that i learn to tune the new hondas?  which ultimately means that i need to become a fuckdata dealer.

xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »

i agree with jd... most imports are owned by cheap ass diy'ers who want everything for nothing. 

i'm on a couple local import forums and every time i get a request for a price on something, i quote it and never hear from them again.  most of these guys are in school and living at home, so they want ebay pricing on everything.

if you want import market you should be chasing the european makes (bmw, audi, porsche, etc).  those guys have money to spend but they are picky as fuck.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »

yea i actually had a VW come over yesterday asking about tuning his APR.  I couldnt lie to him and tell him i could do it because im not the kind of person to get a customer hyped up and then let them down when i dont get it running like i want it to.  He's getting all his work done and I told him to bring the ems to me once he gets it and i would take a look at the software.  Only so much you can learn from reading online.  Customer service is a big pet peeve of mine so i think thats a strong point.

I completely agree on the import cheap asses.  I've gone so far as chipping an ecu for free if i do the tuning as well as knocking 50 dollars of my tuning cost to keep their business.  Just ridiculous.  Gotta start somewhere though and i've always been the kind of person who likes to start from the ground up so i get all my bases covered.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »

so you are suggesting that i learn to tune the new hondas?  which ultimately means that i need to become a fuckdata dealer.

I don't think that would even be worth your time.

I agree with JD and Weir on this one.  Most "import enthusiasts" are cheap and/or broke asses.  It seems that the only ones that spend ass loads of money are those west coast trendy jack offs, and even they tend to do most of the labor shit themselves.

I have pretty much stopped doing anything for the locals.  Nobody wants to pay for my time, so I don't waste any of it on them.

DRQPQUT

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »

spiker and i deal with a outfit called jim greens they are mostly domestic and dont have to much respect for imports....there biggest complaint is kids coming in asking for or ordering a part then not picking up the part or complaining the part is too expensive....the import scene is full of broke ass niggers...wanting everything at ebay prices.....

as far as your business goes i think word of mouth is a huge asset.proof is in the pudding, you tube, and other forums are a good avenue, wish you luck

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

I don't think that would even be worth your time.

I agree with JD and Weir on this one.  Most "import enthusiasts" are cheap and/or broke asses.  It seems that the only ones that spend ass loads of money are those west coast trendy jack offs, and even they tend to do most of the labor shit themselves.

I have pretty much stopped doing anything for the locals.  Nobody wants to pay for my time, so I don't waste any of it on them.

It really hit me when i tuned a "friends" built/boosted/ b18 motor and only charged him 300 including the ectune license.  It's been over 2 months since i tuned his car and i have only received 200 dollars.....and i didnt even get that til a couple weeks ago.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »

Local shop near me had a dyno day he use to refuse imports I put the mighty b16 on his dyno pulled 300hp they were like wow the can make power, then he opens his doors to imports although he doesn't have much sofware he is open to try anything.
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »

yea i actually had a VW come over yesterday asking about tuning his APR.  I couldnt lie to him and tell him i could do it because im not the kind of person to get a customer hyped up and then let them down when i dont get it running like i want it to.  He's getting all his work done and I told him to bring the ems to me once he gets it and i would take a look at the software.  Only so much you can learn from reading online.  Customer service is a big pet peeve of mine so i think thats a strong point.

APR has excellent tech support and will sell you all the gear/etc at affordable prices to do custom tunes.  Call them up and start talking, sir.

chris

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »

Word of mouth is still the best. Web forums in general do little to nothing for generating business.

You can always run a import special for a couple months to try to bring in a couple more people but again that kind of stuff is hit or miss.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »

JD, can you give me an idea of how much all the gear is?  I looked around just a sec and saw they offer the reflash (no tuning) crap, but i dont really trust mail order tunes.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »

Word of mouth is still the best. Web forums in general do little to nothing for generating business.

You can always run a import special for a couple months to try to bring in a couple more people but again that kind of stuff is hit or miss.

maybe something like a New Year special sounds cool.  "First hour of tuning is free".  basically save them 90 dollars.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

chris

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 07:55:59 PM »

Also not a horrible idea is if you have a couple extra thousand bucks build a vitara build in a cheap0 88-91 chassis.

Things like the vitara/d series builds are so affordable really anyone with a job and a couple grand can make it happen. If you can get enough buzz around the area you should be able to get alot of people who may have walked away from the stuff to want to jump back into it when they see all these 11 sec sohc builds that cost what a b series swap runs.

D series builds were made for this recession. I really think that most people just want a sub 12 sec car and if things break like transmission etc they are uber cheap and easy to source and makes people fell at ease. It essentially is the best of both worlds.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

Also not a horrible idea is if you have a couple extra thousand bucks build a vitara build in a cheap0 88-91 chassis.

Things like the vitara/d series builds are so affordable really anyone with a job and a couple grand can make it happen. If you can get enough buzz around the area you should be able to get alot of people who may have walked away from the stuff to want to jump back into it when they see all these 11 sec sohc builds that cost what a b series swap runs.

D series builds were made for this recession. I really think that most people just want a sub 12 sec car and if things break like transmission etc they are uber cheap and easy to source and makes people fell at ease. It essentially is the best of both worlds.

Truth.

And when you take that vitara build to the track and smash the local b series college boys car, interest will be big.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »

once i get my car done, i could probably do a vitara build it in my garage, work on it after hours and then sell it.  have them go through the shop to do the swap and tuning.

that is a GREAT idea.  affordable turbo kits are a dime a dozen for those motors.  and RHMT is D series heaven.

hmm, that also makes me think of another thing.  I have the parts to put together a h23vtec OEM rebuild for relatively cheap just laying in the garage. 
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 08:10:43 PM »

Have them hire a hot dirty slut at the front desk, if that dosent bring in more import work at least u have a hot dirty slut at the front desk :noel:

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »

Why would you want to build a car to sell it and then have it tuned?  Most people who buy already built cars are morons who do not know how to mantain them + they blow up.

Do a mid 10 second Vitara setup for $2K, run the shop sticker on it, reap the rep and reliability a 7.5:1 motor provides.

bigwig

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »

Be smarter than everyone and back it up with numbers.

It's how the reputable people stay in business.  See: Tony1, Miller, Jeff Evans, ect.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »

Be smarter than everyone and back it up with numbers.

It's how the reputable people stay in business.  See: Tony1, Miller, Jeff Evans, ect.

I completely agree.  However, you cant provide numbers without clientelle.  Those guys are also very fortunate to be in the areas of the country they are in.  I've just got a lot to learn in this aspect of the business i guess.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

CSaddict

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »

This. Import guys on average won't spend money like the domestic crowd will.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 08:42:31 PM »

Why would you want to build a car to sell it and then have it tuned?  Most people who buy already built cars are morons who do not know how to mantain them + they blow up.

Do a mid 10 second Vitara setup for $2K, run the shop sticker on it, reap the rep and reliability a 7.5:1 motor provides.

THIS!!

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »

in what?  another car i would have to buy and no place to put it.  I have my car that needs to be finished (still has a ton of money left to just get the motor assembled), my truck payment and insurance, and i make 12 dollars an hour turning wrenches and every now and then i will get a car to tune which by itself will match a 1/4 of my 2 week paycheck (80 hours) at the least.  Working at this shop is an excellent learning experience, but i have got to find a way to make more money if i plan on being able to live outside the doors of my parents house.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »

Get the shop on board with the dirty cheap shop car idea to draw the import guys in.

Shop car. Not your car.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »

Don't bother.  For the most part, imports are a low profit circus unless you're working on the newer or high end ones.

This. Import guys on average won't spend money like the domestic crowd will.

truth.  I'm still amazed at how much money these guys spend.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »

in what?  another car i would have to buy and no place to put it.  I have my car that needs to be finished (still has a ton of money left to just get the motor assembled), my truck payment and insurance, and i make 12 dollars an hour turning wrenches and every now and then i will get a car to tune which by itself will match a 1/4 of my 2 week paycheck (80 hours) at the least.  Working at this shop is an excellent learning experience, but i have got to find a way to make more money if i plan on being able to live outside the doors of my parents house.

I could buy 20 cars tonight, and have places for them.  Just because your life is a disaster and you have your priorities all screwed up doesn't mean you're making any sense.  You obviously have access to a dyno, and that facilitates many things.  I get by from being a fucking asshole who knows more than everyone else, and being able to fix anything... what's your claim to fame?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up