:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: In the market for a new tig  (Read 27445 times)

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
In the market for a new tig
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:24:17 PM »

Any thoughts on the Lincoln Precision 185?
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
Re: In the market for a new tig
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »

Not until I get a replacment.  I'd probably let the HF go for $50 bucks
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:17:01 PM »

Look at the Thermal Arc Arc Master 185. Its an inverter so it will draw less, has programable settings and a pulser.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »

I have a miller dynasty 200dx, it's a great unit, its relatively light and portable, will run on 120v or 240v or 360v ect... All just by plugging it in, which is nice when you drag it to friends houses and shit. The only draw back to it I have found is that if I want to do thick aluminum.  Up to 5/16" is ok, 3/8" is really pushing it without preheat. I think the only thing more that I would want is more amps, but then I would loose the portability, so kind of a toss up. The only other draw back is price. For the ~$3000 all you get is the dynasty 200dx box and a cord without a plug. Still have to add a torch, a remote control (hand, foot, whatever) Cabling, ground clamp, bottle regulator, consumables, ect... I was around $5000 Cdn all said and done. Where as my Miller180 autoset mig was like $900 out the door with a cart and wire and everything. Apples to Oranges I know, but the Syncrowave is more like that.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »

I have a miller dynasty 200dx,

I priced one of these out a couple weeks ago  :-\
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »

Dynisty might be a little to baller for me.  Diversion is nice and cheap, but I think I want a little more.

Needs,
AC/DC (band and welding ability)
HF start
Comes with everything torch, pedal blah blah
Dont need a regulator or bottle

would be nice
pulser

I was oogaling at the Thermal arc.  Only reason I asked about the Precission is there is one on craigslist right now for $1200

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:45:22 PM »

kind of currious, I am still knew, but what is the benifit of the pulser?  I have heard that they make aluminum way easier, but is that it?

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

kind of currious, I am still knew, but what is the benifit of the pulser?  I have heard that they make aluminum way easier, but is that it?

People say its because alum takes a while to heat up, this way you can dump full heat half the time and get more penetration w/o melting a hole. 'Real' welding guys tend to say shit about that feature, like its more of a band-aid. Seriously if you can weld with the HF unit w/o a pedal, it shouldn't be an issue. ATM the biggest reason I want a different welder is because scratch start wastes my time.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »

In my mind the pusler is for production, as you can run faster travel speeds with less distortion. At home sometimes I fuck with it, if I am welding really thin shit and more on ss and mild thin then on aluminum.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »

I don't use my pulser for aluminum at all.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »

I don't use my pulser for aluminum at all.

It make's it easier when your showing off to weld beer cans that you cut in half back together.  ;)

I think that is the only time I have used it on Aluminum though, if anything I typically want more heat not less for Al.

SirDragsAlot

• if you aint baggin' you aint draggin'
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:55 PM »

i have a miller econo tig, what an og machine, i can tig for hours and hours and it never breaks a sweat.  plus pure power to boot, no silly 20 percent duty cycle shit.  find yourself an older unit witth a high duty cycle, you will see the difference

slappynuts

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:29:37 PM »

i have a miller econo tig, what an og machine, i can tig for hours and hours and it never breaks a sweat.  plus pure power to boot, no silly 20 percent duty cycle shit.  find yourself an older unit witth a high duty cycle, you will see the difference

A few people I know have these things. I think they suck. Straight 60cyl is tough to get any sort of decent weld on aluminum. I would never buy one. I certainly hope the diversion is better.

SirDragsAlot

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »

well, my unit welds aluminum like aces, never had any problems yet

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 11:58:43 PM »

I have a Miller dynasty 200dx, and I can make it hit duty cycle, if your econo tig, isn't you weld to slow.

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »

TA185

Best bang for the buck. I've used it for going on 5 yrs now.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »

TA185

Best bang for the buck. I've used it for going on 5 yrs now.

I pretty much have my mind set on that machine now.  I just have to finish putting the money away for one.  Fuck , why are they so spendy.

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

the TA185 is priced really really low for all the features it has. when i bought mine the closest welder with the same features was 5K and counting.

you will be happy with it i promise.

Toysrme

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:27:52 PM »

Any thoughts on the Lincoln Precision 185?
ill be using one thrusday on 16ga aluminum.
Just because on the welding OEM websites they tout high speed pulse as *the thing* for stainless, you really dont see it much in the wild. When you do run across pulsing its just to, "get looks from not so good welders" at say 2-8 PPS.
I use it at home when ever I can (i.e. when my DIY pulser isn't busted). It allows me to dump lots of heat - and there-for have high travel speeds on stainless groove welds while letting me walk the cup (at high speed) and use laywire instead of dipping. Without overheating the stainless.
Anyone can do it say under 12 or so PPS. When you get into higher peak amps, PPS & travel speeds it can take some getting use too. I still dont like dipping with pulse (I preffer laywire/cupwalking), but Ive seen some people do well with it.

mostly you use it for:
getting increased agitation between the filler & base metal for increased weld quality - if you know whats going on
OR
getting a nice ripple pattern if you are not able to do so by yourself manually through manipulation of the torch and filler

Im not a TA185 fan. Had a chance to use one afew months ago, wasn't impressed with it VS the cost of a dynasty. Still, price/performance is extremely good!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:30:01 PM by Toysrme »

Toysrme

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »

youll find far more robotic welders using pulsed power supplys than manual welders.

SirDragsAlot

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »

I have a Miller dynasty 200dx, and I can make it hit duty cycle, if your econo tig, isn't you weld to slow.
my machine never hits the duty cycle since its so tough.  to be honest i can tig for hours to the point i cant hold the torch since its so hot, i dont have a cooling system.  thats the next project

SirDragsAlot

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

if your hitting the duty cycle, your machine is cheaply made.  miller sold out and went chinese a few years ago, my machine is about 30 years old,  but was new when i got it, it was maybe used 4 times in 30 years.

fysh

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »

Picked up a new Lincoln Precision 225 Tig "Ready-Pak" for $1800 shipped. Works very well.

Toysrme

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »

"i can hit duty cycle" doesn't mean shit on these baby ass welders. Saying you can trip that duty cycle is like saying you can jack yourself off in two minutes. That's a skill god gave everyone, not you, nor that particular welder's durability.
Thats ONLY 2 minutes of welding @ 200amps, 6 @ 150amps on a dynasty 200. I could trip that shit stick welding with it in a heart beat. What you have to understand is that its a linear scale. say you have a 60%300amp machine, you get 30%@375amps 60%@300amps, 100%@200amps.

That econotig is only 20% @ 150amps on tig. It probably hits 100% duty cycle around 30 amps. which is what most pussies weld stainless pipe at.

SirDragsAlot

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »

sorry but my econo tig has 100 percent duty cycle at 150 amps, its os my friend, weighs about 200 pounds and eats stainless for lunch.  im in it to win it, i wouldnt waste my money on a cheap welder

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »

sorry but my econo tig has 100 percent duty cycle at 150 amps, its os my friend, weighs about 200 pounds and eats stainless for lunch.  im in it to win it, i wouldnt waste my money on a cheap welder

Did you take it off any sweet jumps?

Toysrme

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »

so what econo tig do you have?

Toysrme

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »

used a lincoln precision 185.
hated that fucking welder. it is EXTREMELY slim on controls for the money.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 11:11:18 PM »

duly noted.  I was looking at a syncro 200 yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing.  Apparently the syncro has a pulser now.  Maybe they always did but I didn't think they did.

slappynuts

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »

used a lincoln precision 185.
hated that fucking welder. it is EXTREMELY slim on controls for the money.

Im going to have to agree with you here and it has nothing to do with the controls. There is something missing in the smoothness.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up