:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: In the market for a new tig  (Read 27475 times)

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
Re: In the market for a new tig
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 11:42:21 PM »

duly noted.  I was looking at a syncro 200 yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing.  Apparently the syncro has a pulser now.  Maybe they always did but I didn't think they did.

I like my sync 200 although i wish i had more amps, i i have used my pulser maybe a handfull of times.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 01:36:36 PM »

duly noted.  I was looking at a syncro 200 yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing.  Apparently the syncro has a pulser now.  Maybe they always did but I didn't think they did.

The 200 always had the pulse feature, the 180sd did not.

SirDragsAlot

• if you aint baggin' you aint draggin'
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 09:14:50 PM »

sorry but my econo tig has 100 percent duty cycle at 150 amps, its os my friend, weighs about 200 pounds and eats stainless for lunch.  im in it to win it, i wouldnt waste my money on a cheap welder

Did you take it off any sweet jumps?

funny you said that, i did some jumps, a bit of drifting and it also makes 151 proof moonshine on command

slappynuts

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

It probably hits 100% duty cycle around 30 amps. which is what most pussies weld stainless pipe at.

We both know he pulses it at 40A. He definatly needs a water cooler for that welding  ;)

mandrel-bends

• Columbia River Mandrel Bending
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 02:12:40 AM »

I would suggest the Thermal ARC 185. Big welder for little $. Welds smooth.

I convinced one of my customers to pickup a DYN200 over the TA185 due to our success with our dynastys, and two years later he has had the machine serviced 3 times - last time the entire display went. I don't know if his machine is unique in crapping out, but we've never had any issues with the big dynastys (300dxs then later replaced with 350s).
Columbia River Mandrel Bending
CNC Mandrel Bending &ampamp Precision Waterjet Cutting
http://www.mandrelbends.com

slappynuts

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 07:52:24 AM »

I convinced one of my customers to pickup a DYN200 over the TA185 due to our success with our dynastys, and two years later he has had the machine serviced 3 times - last time the entire display went. I don't know if his machine is unique in crapping out, but we've never had any issues with the big dynastys (300dxs then later replaced with 350s).

I had alot of trouble with the dyn300 where I used to work. If I welded thicker alum for a long time the arc would start to break up and then it wouldnt actually start at times. All I would get was a PFT PFT PFT and thats it. There was three machines there and they all did the exact same thing.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »

Yeah, I am still leaning towards the TA.  Although I have never seen one in person, it does look like it is 1/4 the size of the syncro.  The syncro is fucking huge!  I guess I could actually look up the dimensions and figure it out, but the crane hook on the top of the syncro I felt was a give away.
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »

Yeah, just looked up the dimensions, way smaller then the syncro
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

Toysrme

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »

i remember loving a synchrowave 350 we had back at school. the only welder smoother than it was an ultra old giant transformer welder.
i liked a ta185 the couple times ive sat down on one but if you have the money for a dynasty200 go that route.
only two things you have to hate about those is if you are doing AC welding. Once you've touched one doing 250htz+ you never want to go back to 60htz! the weight and immoveability also suck. definately not a welder you can just toss in your trunk and go to a buddies house / work site.

Toysrme

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »

why the lincoln precision tig 185 is the worst AC welder i have ever used:
  • DC arc quality is no better than my ching-chong 40amp plasma cutter.
  • It doesn't run stick electrodes for SHIT. It plays with the voltage WAY too damn much instead of letting the welder just weld the fucking rod.
  • AC @ 60htz sucks donkey balls. 120-250htz+ is where the shit is now
  • Pulser HAS NO BOTTOM END OR % of input time controls!? What the FLYING FUCK!? If you back off the pedal a hair, it drops the amps like you would think. If you back off the pedal anything mroe than a hair IT STOPS PULSING TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!?!?!?! Meanwhile the average heat input on the workpiece has likely QUADRUPLED when you wanted LESS!
  • The Balance control is stupid. Automatic is effectively useless, while it takes an EXCESSIVE amount of cleaning (DCEP) to get close to having a useable cleaning action.
  • Because of the excessive amount of cleaning action, you MUST use gay faggoty balled pure tungsten (instead of a trunctiated tip on an alloy tungsten - giving a smoother, more controlled, more focused arc) for welding ALU at even a pissy 100-110amps.

in conclusion, MP350's are baller ass migs, but about any other lincoln welder (short of industrial supplies and feeders) are god damned stupid

mandrel-bends

• Columbia River Mandrel Bending
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 08:29:58 PM »

We owned (3) 300dx's, and sold them for (2) 350s. Never had issues with any of the welders expect one of the new 350s came with a bad water cooler right out of the box. Wierd you've had so many problems. Maybe you guys weren't running heavy enough torches and burned them up?

I had alot of trouble with the dyn300 where I used to work. If I welded thicker alum for a long time the arc would start to break up and then it wouldnt actually start at times. All I would get was a PFT PFT PFT and thats it. There was three machines there and they all did the exact same thing.
Columbia River Mandrel Bending
CNC Mandrel Bending &ampamp Precision Waterjet Cutting
http://www.mandrelbends.com

slappynuts

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »

We owned (3) 300dx's, and sold them for (2) 350s. Never had issues with any of the welders expect one of the new 350s came with a bad water cooler right out of the box. Wierd you've had so many problems. Maybe you guys weren't running heavy enough torches and burned them up?

WP20 at 125a is not too much to be asked.

Toysrme

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »

had those problems on afew tig welders doing AC:
sometimes people set them to lift-arc while DC welding instead of setting them back to continuous HF for AC welding. srun across that one too!
ive also seen several welders that had problems lighting arcs on the first try if the pulser was turned on (lincoln precision shit 185, dynasty 300, miller Maxstar 350 on an ABB robot).
either a poor ground that is letting the HF fire, but not keep the main arc going. or the ground itself arced, burned the surface it was clamping too & needs to be re-grounded. ground to the machine lead needed to be re-cleaned.
other times like MB said the torch had been overheated and the collet body had to be changed.

ive seen the first two & ground problems more than anything.

slappynuts

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »

had those problems on afew tig welders doing AC:
sometimes people set them to lift-arc while DC welding instead of setting them back to continuous HF for AC welding. srun across that one too!
ive also seen several welders that had problems lighting arcs on the first try if the pulser was turned on (lincoln precision shit 185, dynasty 300, miller Maxstar 350 on an ABB robot).
either a poor ground that is letting the HF fire, but not keep the main arc going. or the ground itself arced, burned the surface it was clamping too & needs to be re-grounded. ground to the machine lead needed to be re-cleaned.
other times like MB said the torch had been overheated and the collet body had to be changed.

ive seen the first two & ground problems more than anything.

Its not the setting of the machine. This started to happen 8 hrs into a shift of welding aluminum all day long. It is a problem with the design of the machine. We had power company test everything,we had electricians check everything out. we even had techs from miller flown in to figure it out. Nobody ever was able to do so.

Toysrme

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »

that's fucking shitty.
so noone ever called a tech to come check it? maybe a board fried.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 08:06:57 AM »

i would look forward for one better tig, what tig should the best for cheap/quality in the market?

slappynuts

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »

that's fucking shitty.
so noone ever called a tech to come check it? maybe a board fried.

We had techs from miller out to fix them and they couldnt do it. They replace all kinds of shit inside the machine and we had the same thing happen. This was a dynasty 300 BTW (actually all three had the same problems).

It has to be a design flaw in the machines. One machine would start acting up and then you would just switch machines and continue welding so its not a shop power supply issue. Its the machine.

It kinda acts like a bad ground but if you stop welding and dont touch anything on the machine you can start fine the next day and weld till it happens again.

Also the higher the amperage the sooner it happens.

Other than that the machine was a dream.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »

That is strange, my 200dx's and my 300dx are reliable as sin, my 300dx hasn't skipped a beat and it is used daily for the last 7 years or so. The other fab shops I deal with all use dynasty's as well with no issues.

Toysrme

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »

ditto. like i said ive seen alot of tigs do that, but ive never seen one that had a habitual problem with it. always wound up being just some little thing that got looked over and was quickly (sometimes) found & addressed.
maybe a fucked up thermal protection schemes or sensors?
worst i saw was a maxstar. you had to keep the robot reprogramed about weekly (arm was worn like a hoe & they wouldn't replace it). it just couldnt deal with any size arc gap. wasted alot of material & had alot of down time from decided it would only light some arcs. wasn't even programed for some blazing fast speed, just abit faster than hand welding. :\

if it was my money id still buy a dynasty over a TA185. just one of those things. used alot of them. dont get me wrong. can't go wrong with the 185's, they've probably been the most popular AC welder since they came out & undercut everyone else's price. just more comfortable with a miller tig.

slappynuts

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2009, 04:06:52 PM »

I still like my old sync 500. Who gives a flying fuck about thermal protection  8) Ear protection was more like it.

Toysrme

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »

what's that fucker weigh?

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »

The thing I hate about thermal arc machines is their lack of quality sequencer, which miller has built in with a timer and everything, so a Miller is super easy to automate, where a thermal arc is a joke, you need three extra boxes just to do a basic automated weld. They aren't bad power supply wise though, but if miller made a PAW welder I'd sell my thermal arc PAW and buy the Miller version, all my tigs are Miller and I love them.

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »

To many god damn acronyms

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2009, 12:40:18 AM »

Better yet, how long does it take to fatigue your hands with the monster torch on that fucker?

Lol.

I love love love my old Miller MIG.  I unfortunately does not have a nice variable voltage, only taps, but the arc is wonderful on it.

I agree on Lincoln welders in general.  I learned to weld on them, and I hate them with a passion.  I learned to TIG, no was all that good at it, on the old 175 square wave.  I hated that goddamn machine.

The Power Mig 255s we had to learn on seemed at least somewhat decent though.

I really wish my eyesight was better so I could really get into TIG welding. 

Toysrme

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2009, 02:57:13 AM »

to me, AFA what ive used thus far
#1 tig miller - any size, process, etc
#1 wire based welder feed (any process, any size range, seperate wire feeders included) lincoln - worst miller
#1 plasma hypotherm by a fucking mile. lincolns are always broken, millers just suck.
#1 stick super old miller transformers or newer lincoln MP power supplies.
#1 saw lincoln (only miller i ever ran for abit stayed fucking broken - boards fucked)

AFA esab. the only esab welders ive EVER used were all gigantic 50 year old transformers and either tig/stick welded peachy, or sucked from their age. swear to god, i just never see esab shit down here in the south. (tho they did mail me a free heat treated skull cap lol)
thermal arc... every now and then i might see a TA wire feeder, but lincoln  dominates them.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 03:02:41 AM »

to me, AFA what ive used thus far
#1 tig miller - any size, process, etc
#1 wire based welder feed (any process, any size range, seperate wire feeders included) lincoln - worst miller
#1 plasma hypotherm by a fucking mile. lincolns are always broken, millers just suck.
#1 stick super old miller transformers or newer lincoln MP power supplies.
#1 saw lincoln (only miller i ever ran for abit stayed fucking broken - boards fucked)

AFA esab. the only esab welders ive EVER used were all gigantic 50 year old transformers and either tig/stick welded peachy, or sucked from their age. swear to god, i just never see esab shit down here in the south. (tho they did mail me a free heat treated skull cap lol)
thermal arc... every now and then i might see a TA wire feeder, but lincoln  dominates them.

What did you dislike about the Miller wire feed units?  I am sure you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more experience on different machines thatn I, so I am curious.

Toysrme

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 04:41:34 AM »

they suck and nearly noone industry uses them.
first the controls are really fucking retarded. its an exact opposite of a dynasty VS precision tig (worst tig ever). the dynasty does everything well and has as much programming as you can nearly come up with needed.
the controls are fucking terrible and unintuative. i dont want to have bullshit knobs with made up numbers on them that have no meaning to me. i want the control to tell me how many inches a min the machine is feding, and what voltage its doing at.
even if the controls are wrong! ballpark is good enough! first thing i do on any wire machine i sit at is clip the wire, grab a tape & run out 5-10 seconds worth of wire. pull the tape out, measure it & see what it's actually feeding (wire feed rate = amperage) from there i can trim controls whatever i want.
please dont get me started on having to pull out an add-on bullshit pendant control to set one up for pulse welding. since noone ever has one & unless you do it every day - now its time to take a trip to the tool crib to find a manual - that can't be found - so you google a pdf. :\ just to figure out what the dumbass settings mean.

the lincoln PT-185 tig fails it's pulsed tig welding for not giving you enough control over what's going on. the miller pulse pendants fail because they give you every fucking parameter under the sun. yet even when you tweak them out - they still wont weld as good as the lincoln MP's that only have one trim setting that does everything else for you in software.

they're just retarded to use. every one ive ever touched has a very jerky / large amount of slack feeling in the wire feed. doesn't cause a trained or experianced welder any problems. but if you're new, it reeeeeally fucks with you until you simply correct for it on the fly without even noticing it. they feel like they're worn out when new.
now ive welded with ALOT of shitty ass lincoln big time wire welders. but only because 95% of any of them you find are going to be lincolns in the first place lol

im just not a fan of the miller at all on wire-feed. ugh. gemmie any lincoln from the power mig MP line (I still CRAVE a power mig 350MP... one of these days im telling you!), invertec or CV line.
CV's are the migs you see in industry 95% of the time. walk into a shop that does production work, look around for very long and you'll see big red CV's sitting in the floor.

just opposites. miller = tig, lincoln = wire & stick.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 07:34:09 AM »

OK guys i was looking for a better pulsed tig in Germany, i found some of those , what do u thinks?

http://cgi.ebay.de/WIG-200A-DC-TIG-E-Hand-Inverter-Schweissgeraet-HF-230V_W0QQitemZ310138423226QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSchweiß_Löttechnik?hash=item310138423226&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

http://cgi.ebay.de/SCHWEIssGERAT-WIG-TIG-INVERTER-200-P-HF-u-E-HAND-DIGTAL_W0QQitemZ370193605870QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSchweiß_Löttechnik?hash=item370193605870&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

what do u guys think?

slappynuts

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »

900-1000lbs? Its a heavy fucker  :yes:

Toysrme

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43:25 AM »

looks like a pair of chinese tig boxes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up