:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chevy TBI tuning  (Read 10725 times)

SiFlyBy

Chevy TBI tuning
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »

I have a 89 Chevy truck 350 TBI in the shop. Did a few mods to it(heads, mild cam, intake, headers, TB), got a custom tune for it from http://tbichips.com/. For the life of me I cant get it to run right all the time. So I guess what Im wondering is if any of you have the chip burner for these things and/or have any experience tuning them.

It either idles good and spits and backfires down the road or idles like fuck/dies out and runs good down the road depending on where we set the timing. ~0 degrees and ~10 degrees BTDC respectively. I would also like to get a WBO2 on it to see what its doing at such and such time to check the tune, so we got a new LM2 ordered which we should really have anyway.

It makes me sick to think that I have considered putting a *gasps* carburetor on it. :?:

hot coolant eats carbon, like a nigger eats chicken.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: Chevy TBI tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

What about the idea of moding the IM for 8 inj. and using a 454 tb for more flow. Then having the ECU chip replaced for this setup.

Similar to this : http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_21&products_id=15 but w/o buying the ECU just change the chip.

I know Edelbrock did something like that but now the P/N is not available on their site.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »

It's speed density, generic chips beyond the factory tune are a joke.

www.moates.net - get an ALDL cable aka CABL1so you can datalog
www.tunerpro.net - use with an Ostrich, or burn chips if you're ghetto-fabulous

Those are about the easiest ECUs out there to fool with, and you don't have to buy the chip adapter if you are pinching pennies.  I've cut the stock EPROM out and replaced it with a socket a couple times.

I can be of a relatively good amount of help, but I'v only done a half dozen of those ECUs.  http://www.thirdgen.org/ has a DIY PROM board that is the mullet equivalent of pgmfi.org.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:43:55 AM by Joseph Davis »

SiFlyBy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »

You're talking about spending $$$$ here. We are not looking for 500hp, just to get it to run right all the time. That is all.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_21&products_id=15

And that just looks like a carb to TBI conversion kit, the truck already has all that stuff

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »

You're talking about spending $$$$ here. We are not looking for 500hp, just to get it to run right all the time. That is all.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_21&products_id=15

And that just looks like a carb to TBI conversion kit, the truck already has all that stuff

I know I was trying give to get a Edelbrock TBI conversion to EFI but could not find one. :-\

BTW do you still have those HX35 for sale?

SiFlyBy

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:53:01 AM »

Thanks JD. I'm gonna look into that stuff over lunch today if I have time.

BTW do you still have those HX35 for sale?

I sold the HX a long time ago. I may be selling the HY35 on my WRX in a few months though. It depends and how tuning goes, if I decide to go the e85 route and then, finally, if I decide to go back to VGT with a HE351VE. Ill let you know first if your interested in it.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »

before you fuck with it anymore change the spring in the fuel pressure regulator, I have chased my tail a few times over those even when the fuel pressure was in spec according to a gauge even while the problem was happening. Its good for piece of mind.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

SiFlyBy

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »

before you fuck with it anymore change the spring in the fuel pressure regulator, I have chased my tail a few times over those even when the fuel pressure was in spec according to a gauge even while the problem was happening. Its good for piece of mind.

Our new TB has adjustable fuel pressure. we were instructed(by the guy who burned the chip) to turn it up to 18 psi. It runs no different at 12 or 18 psi. It now has the stock TB on and runs like fuck just the same.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »

cam specs? just for fun what heads?
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 07:33:09 AM »

how much was the 'chip'?
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

SiFlyBy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:27:21 AM »

cam specs? just for fun what heads?

cam is not much heavier than stock. I have the specs at work. I can post em up on monday.

how much was the 'chip'?

It was $300 or $350, I dont remenber. I wish I would have known that I could tune it myself for less than half of that. In hindsight, I should have started this thread about 2 months ago but I gues I naively thought that TBI tuning was an almost dead black art. Oh well, live and learn

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 01:48:32 AM »

how much was the 'chip'?

It was $300 or $350, I dont remenber. I wish I would have known that I could tune it myself for less than half of that. In hindsight, I should have started this thread about 2 months ago but I gues I naively thought that TBI tuning was an almost dead black art. Oh well, live and learn

could of had a MS1V3 for that amount, along with a DIYBOB for the strait hookups.
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

SiFlyBy

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 07:06:18 AM »

how much was the 'chip'?

could of had a MS1V3 for that amount, along with a DIYBOB for the strait hookups.

trust me, it had crossed my mind. I have the stuff that I need coming for about $150. My buddy has Ostrich and BURN1 for the rest of it.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:40 AM »

how much was the 'chip'?

MS1 is utter shit for distributor V8s.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:22:45 AM »

how much was the 'chip'?

Or something much better that uses the OEM ECU.

Seriously, check out the link I posted.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 04:36:39 PM »

how much was the 'chip'?

how do you figure? i got my car running perfect on a 4 tooth wheel, i assume most v8's have an 8 tooth wheel. not hard to calculated the time between the teeth.
malone labe

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »

how much was the 'chip'?

how do you figure? i got my car running perfect on a 4 tooth wheel, i assume most v8's have an 8 tooth wheel. not hard to calculated the time between the teeth.

Coil dwell control is an abortion.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:44:30 PM by Joseph Davis »

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »

how much was the 'chip'?

Coil dwell control is an abortion.
What would you suggest for v8 EFI coversions?
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 06:42:56 PM »

94-98.5 Ford MAF is easy for the n00b to implement, requires 36-1 crank and cam sync.  OBD1 GM (7727, 7730, etc - there are some years that are just damn odd so research first) is acceptable for a street car.  I hear great things about OBD2 GM, using some of the late 90s truck ECUs, but have not done anything like that.  You see old DFI's going pretty cheaply, and they are very well equipped for their era and still not too shabby these days.

I hear good things about MS2, but then again I hear good things about MS1.  Your mileage will vary.  You need to research your specific application and take any results with a grain of salt as a lot of DIYers don't want to admit they have problems with something they've done.

Everything else is dollars.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »

the hei modual controlls the dwell. one wire from the ms is all thats needed. only downside is apon starting the coil only fires after the first tooth has passed( for the modual to figure out the dwell time)

so maybe a tenth of a second it just cranks befor firing :P
malone labe

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »

the hei modual controlls the dwell.

What HEI module?

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »

pcm4less does really good work. did my lt1 in my corvette
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »

ignition control modual/igniter whatever you want to call it
malone labe

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »

in to hear the results on this. i just dropped a 350 into a 1990 silverado that had a 305. some tuning is going to be needed im sure.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »

ignition control modual/igniter whatever you want to call it

Let's call it a TFI, and no it doesn't control dwell.

SiFlyBy

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 10:21:36 AM »

UPDATE:

we tried tuning last Monday. Results were very mixed. The software was a little touchy as was the hardware. After the tuning experience it was decided to recheck compression. Compression is between 115 and 125. Spec is 150. By the VIN, this truck is supposed to have a 350...by the ECU it is a 305..We ordered heads for a 350 and I am starting to believe that we put 350 heads on a 305, which I am guessing would lower the Comp ratio. Gonna try to find the casting numbers and see if that gets us anywhere.

FUCK

SiFlyBy

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 10:51:35 AM »

Cam Specs:

Valve timing         OPEN                 CLOSE
@ .006       INT:   18   BTDC          54      ABDC
                 EXH:   66   BBDC          14      ATDC

INTAKE             EXHAUST
Duration @ .050      206                       212
Lobe Lift                .2830                   .2930
Lobe Separation       112.0

Just talked to our machine shop guy. He says check cyl leakage as he has seen 3/5 heads brand new that have valves that dont seal worth a shit. Talking to him it seems as if this engine should not really have needed a tune based on what we did. Ill update later with leakage results. leakage is all less than 25%..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:16:11 AM by SiFlyBy »

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »

What software were you using? I will be tuning mine very soon and I'm trying to decide how to handle this. This truck will get boosted, but not for 12 months or so
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »

UPDATE:

we tried tuning last Monday. Results were very mixed. The software was a little touchy as was the hardware. After the tuning experience it was decided to recheck compression. Compression is between 115 and 125. Spec is 150. By the VIN, this truck is supposed to have a 350...by the ECU it is a 305..We ordered heads for a 350 and I am starting to believe that we put 350 heads on a 305, which I am guessing would lower the Comp ratio. Gonna try to find the casting numbers and see if that gets us anywhere.

FUCK

That ASSumption is correct.

IIRC, the 305 heads of that era were ~58 cc chambers whereas the 350 heads wer in the neighborhood of a 67 cc chamber.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up