:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best EM for a VW Golf?  (Read 5384 times)

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
Best EM for a VW Golf?
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:55:45 AM »

Dont delete this JD its a legit question.

95 VW Golf 2.0.  Friend here at work is boosting it, thinking at the VERY most 300whp, realistically he really only wants 250ish.  Has spare motors and trans so isnt worried about popping a few. 

Anybody got any experience with this motor? ATM im thinking megasquirt is his best bet, as he's a cheapskate like us who wants it to work but doesnt want to break his wallet. 

I have no clue which bosch system this is, not sure if the dizzy is VR or Hall either, thats why im asking.

Flame suit on.  :noel:

blowoff valves are for pussies.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
Re: Best EM for a VW Golf?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »

034efi...LOL
92GSR - mild interest

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:03 PM »

Vice grips.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

VW-Vortex

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »

if you've got extra motors, look into motronic reflashes.  It's going to take some reading if you need translation help hit me up, if you need tuning help, crawl into bed with jd.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:41:01 AM »

how compatible is g60 corrado ecu, squirts, n sensors?

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »

The VR6 cars are the MAF variant of Digi, I'm totally not sure about the 2.0 but I expect the same.  I'll check wiring diagrams when I get into work.

Type 53

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 06:28:16 PM »

Interesting project, the earlier 2.0 have forged internals from the factory(except the pistons i think).
Curious on the output as i have one on a stand with an old BAE RayJay turbo awaiting its installment into something.
But what the fuck do i know, hell, this is my first post evarrrrrrrrrrr :yes:

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »

A friend of mine has the 2.0 with forged rods and crank. He is going to swap in some JE's and run a 16v head on it. He will be running megasquirt
92GSR - mild interest

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:38 AM »

Interesting project, the earlier 2.0 have forged internals from the factory(except the pistons i think).
Curious on the output as i have one on a stand with an old BAE RayJay turbo awaiting its installment into something.
But what the fuck do i know, hell, this is my first post evarrrrrrrrrrr :yes:

Richard, Harry has a set of 6 (long story) JE .20 over pistons for an ABA he is probably gonna pick up.  Whats the stock static compression ratio for those ABA? The JE's are supposed to put it right at 9:1...

He's just about sold on the Megasquirt, the big thing being the cost. 

Type 53

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »

I was under the impression that it was either 9.5:1 or 10:1, i'm sure it can be found easily, although i'm just lazy.
I've heard about these pistons that Harry has, think i need to stop by and check them out, haven't seen him in a while anyhow.

nock

• pro... muther fuckin pro...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 01:33:24 AM »

the bible:
http://www.not2fast.com/vw/stuff/vw_engines.shtml

if you have a motor with oil squirters, and bought some forged low comp pistons you wouldnt be wasting money. squirter motors are very nice to the pistons and my experience has been that i can run up to 0.001" less clearance on a forged piston if im pouring the coals on it. that being said this is a pretty shitty motor to make hp with, there is a shit ton of piston speed working against you almost every step. you could spool a big turbo alot faster but thats about the only real good thing. you really can think of this engine (ABA, others are very different) as a tractor engine, fuck tons of low end torque out the ass, but no real power where it counts.

so lets break it down, 3300lb plus car, massive torque, glass tranny. thats right, tranny chunk everywere. i also know for a fact that o2o's will throw all the oil off the gears at certain speeds. with a different ring a pinon, this can happen at freeway speed. at any rate he will be looking for a different tranny the day after your done boosting it. once its boosted try to stay away from the big rubber until he has a different tranny, also dont buy a clutch as that with change with the tranny also.

for management, if you throw a rock at the vortex there will be 50 megasquirt experts who will tell you to put some crazy ass COP setup from a 20valve so you'll have all kinds shit hanging off your motor. some of them know what there talking about so if you listen to half of it you might be ok. just buy msII v3.0 and run the distributor but trigger from the crank and throw a HEI coil on it. also, if i remember, thats a year with the two fuel pump bull shit so get ready to rip every living thing out the back of the car and put a single walburo in tank.

there is nothing really wrong with boosting a car like this, its just there is'nt enough o2o trannys in the known universe to keep it on the road.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »

Piston speed isn't a bad thing in a small motor where component weight is so small that sideloading is not a concern, if you can install a good cams and rev 7500-8000 rpms it will actually help you avoid detonation.

nock

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »

i have taken this engine past 11,000 and have run them anywere from 8,000 to 10,000. we had better motors that ran 8200 with .670 cams then the motors that ran 9500 with .550-.730 cams. all this was n/a but the point is the same, big cams will only help so much when the cylider is a mile deep. at some point (depending on the cam if all things are the same) the ports will go sonic, more so in this motor then just about any other engine i can think of. the heads we made would go sonic to far up the port for the cam to do anything about it around 8800.

and, dont ignor all the other problems with twisting on a ABA hard, you will need massive valve springs because the lifters are so big, and more then likely a low base lifter which is even heavyer. there are also big oil system problems past 5000 that will need to be fixed, the rings will bouce off the lands at 7000, and some minor by compairson balence isuse. even if you can keep the tranny togather for more than a month, just about any other vw motor would be better for making hp.

the stock pistons and rods are not really all that light but the longer rods are nice and im shure this motor could handle lots of cylinder pressure.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »

i have taken this engine past 11,000 and have run them anywere from 8,000 to 10,000. we had better motors that ran 8200 with .670 cams then the motors that ran 9500 with .550-.730 cams. all this was n/a but the point is the same, big cams will only help so much when the cylider is a mile deep. at some point (depending on the cam if all things are the same) the ports will go sonic, more so in this motor then just about any other engine i can think of. the heads we made would go sonic to far up the port for the cam to do anything about it around 8800.

Sounds like a perfect turbo motor.  ITR cams are good to ~8000 rpms in a really mild NA setup, maybe 8400-8500 in a B16, but it's little brother GSR cams make power to 10K when breathed on.  Forced induction do a nice trick by manipulating mach numbers and pushing a camshaft's sweet spot higher and higher.

[/quote]

nock

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »

that is true for almost anything that is boosted. im not saying it a waste of time to boost one of these motors, im just saying its a waste of time to twist it hard. ive put some of the most retarded gaint cams ive ever used in this motor.

i really dont see how you can even compair the two, the b series have way bigger heads, the ABA has a 92mm stroke vs the b16 77mm so right off the bat you have 1000fpm more piston speed at 8000 (500fpm more for the b18), then you have to try and blow all that throu a single valve head that dosent really flow all that great to begin with. looking at the numbers alone this thing has as much piston speed at 8000 as a b16 turning 10000.

im not saying its imposible to make power with this motor, ive done it before, im just saying the odds are not in anybodys favor if your going for more rpm. 20 pounds of boost that gos nowhere at 6000rpm wont go anywhere at 8000rpm either and a cam wont help much unless its big, like $1500-$2000 big, by the time you buy all the lifters, springs, and other bullshit, and do the machine work to make it all fit. this is why i dont fuck with vws anymore, they are all shitty motors to try to make fast.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »

i really dont see how you can even compair the two, the b series have way bigger heads, the ABA has a 92mm stroke vs the b16 77mm so right off the bat you have 1000fpm more piston speed at 8000 (500fpm more for the b18), then you have to try and blow all that throu a single valve head that dosent really flow all that great to begin with. looking at the numbers alone this thing has as much piston speed at 8000 as a b16 turning 10000.

You picked a really bad Honda motor to compare to, B16's are oversquare garbage.  That shit flies when you are dealing with a nice chunk of displacement (LSx), but I have little love for a B16's torquelessness and the manner in which it's power output is slaved to CR which Catch-22's you by lessening knock limit.  Knock limit that it, due to low displacement, simply does not have to spare.

I'd rather have an ABA than a B16 because, regardless of the ABA's poor headflow and VW heritage, at least people would be less likely to assume that I am a faggot for owning one.

buk9tp

• i know nuthin bout nuthin
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »

who drives a vw and looks for more rpm?   whoooooooo i reved my vw out to 8000 rpms when it stopped making any more power 3k rpms ago! yay!!!!!!!

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »

Not trying to knock on you nock (lol) but he seriously doesnt care to make anymore than 250hp, and spining it to the moon hasnt even crossed my mind. Probably gonna end up with a 60trim T3 or similar turbo.
I learned my lesson with oil squirters in the Mitsu world.  If I tear into a motor, those bitches get plugged and the p2w gets a couple of extra thousanths honed out.  Fuck oil squirters.

Also, there is no way that little golf tips the scales at 3300lbs.  3k at the most.  Hell my Colt is physically larger and I weighed it at 2355 with me in it.

What exactly breaks in the trans?  Im good with transmissions and can probably find some remedy to the problem...I dont want to hear that its too small.  DSM trans are small, d-series sized, and those bastards are running 8's.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »

Probably clearances too tight when everything starts flexing under power, same as a lot of stuff.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »

...What exactly breaks in the trans?  Im good with transmissions and can probably find some remedy to the problem...I dont want to hear that its too small.  DSM trans are small, d-series sized, and those bastards are running 8's.

First thing to go is the rivets on the ring gear. This is an easy fix with a bolt kit. Drill out rivets, bolts in place.

Next after that I have twisted the input shaft in two on a couple. Sheered the teeth off 3rd gear, and finally I have broken  an open diff being stupid... Read block long one wheel peal.

With an LSD (comes with bolt kit), Heat and cryro treat, and good clearances, I have seen them hold together well enough to run repeated high 10's.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

nock

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »

im not not saying you cant do anything, im just saying there are much better cars/engines to go fast with. on the trannys the only thing ive had a problem with is 3rd. other times ive been fucked is because of high gear speeds and turning left which dosnt really mean anything here. ive have talked to some people who say the tolerances dont stack up like a normal tranny and cause problems, i dont know ive never tried to drag race a water cooler before. the only thing that i know to do about it is to use smaller tires. there are some tricks to keeping the oil where it belongs but there not really necessary unless your doing 100mph for half an hour.

anyway, do whatever you want.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »

im not not saying you cant do anything, im just saying there are much better cars/engines to go fast with. on the trannys the only thing ive had a problem with is 3rd. other times ive been fucked is because of high gear speeds and turning left which dosnt really mean anything here. ive have talked to some people who say the tolerances dont stack up like a normal tranny and cause problems, i dont know ive never tried to drag race a water cooler before. the only thing that i know to do about it is to use smaller tires. there are some tricks to keeping the oil where it belongs but there not really necessary unless your doing 100mph for half an hour.

anyway, do whatever you want.

He seriously has like $500 in the car now.  Its just for fun/the hell of it. 2 motors and trans sitting at the shop right now.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »

who drives a vw and looks for more rpm?   whoooooooo i reved my vw out to 8000 rpms when it stopped making any more power 3k rpms ago! yay!!!!!!!

you've never had a turbo anything and managed to blow up and/or burn everything in your life worth more than $500. knock it off.

That's not buk.  Buk hasn't gone by buk in almost three years now.

nock

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »

He seriously has like $500 in the car now.  Its just for fun/the hell of it. 2 motors and trans sitting at the shop right now.
thats good because most vw owners put everything they have into something that will just never be all that fast.

buk9tp

• i know nuthin bout nuthin
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »

you've never had a turbo anything and managed to blow up and/or burn everything in your life worth more than $500. knock it off.

no. you knock it off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up