:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to adjust coilovers  (Read 8096 times)

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
How to adjust coilovers
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »

So the person who had my CRX before put the coilovers as low as they will go. The ride sucks ass and it feels like the front end is getting ripped off when you hit a bump in the road. They aren't like regular coilovers. I don't see any bolt/screw that keeps it locked.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: How to adjust coilovers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »

They use two spanner wrenches to turn those red anodized rings.

They lock against each other to stay in place.

You need the wrenches, or two big pair of channel locks.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »

Fuck me. I'm tempted to just say fuck it and go ahead and buy a set of regular lowering springs.

boosted99SiR

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:13:52 PM »

I wouldn't do that, the coilovers are adjustable. I'd get the right wrenches for that.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »

You could try rigging it with a straight screwdriver and a hammer.

Put screwdriver on edge of hole and hit the hammer on the top ring until it's loose.

Crank it up where you want it. Do the same thing on the bottom nut to lock it up against the top one.

boosted99SiR

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »

You could try rigging it with a straight screwdriver and a hammer.

Put screwdriver on edge of hole and hit the hammer on the top ring until it's loose.

Crank it up where you want it. Do the same thing on the bottom nut to lock it up against the top one.

It's gonna take a long time doing it that way. The wrenches are just so much easier.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:21:57 PM »

If he can find them.

This is RHMT. We do it whatever way we can.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »

What about one of those oil filter remover wrench things.

Not sure if it'd have enough grip to turn it.

I'm assuming the wheel is off and the car is jacked up when you're doing that?  Would be a bit easier without the weight.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:29 PM »

Yeah jacked up wheel off. I don't have any desire to purchase a set of spanner wrenches I won't use again. I don't want coilovers as I won't be raising or lowering it. It's a daily driver not a track car, so simple lowering springs will work fine for me.

The only thing about using a screw driver and hammer is that both those rings spin. So I would have to find a way to keep the bottom ring stationary while trying to lap the upper ring around. I have a nice big C clamp, but don't think it has the clamping force needed to hold it.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »

If you hit one of those rings with a screwdriver and hammer, it will come apart. a pair of oil filter wrenches might work too as mentioned. They have plenty of grip, question is how tight they are.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »

Well I can't just hit one. I can sit there and spine the rings around, but they both spin (I'm assuming "locked" together). Actually the whole threaded pipe and rings spin together. Maybe I'll get lucky and the C clamp will hold it on tight enough to bust them apart.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:17:42 AM »

Load the suspension, then try loosening the locking ring.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »

Well I can't just hit one. I can sit there and spine the rings around, but they both spin (I'm assuming "locked" together). Actually the whole threaded pipe and rings spin together. Maybe I'll get lucky and the C clamp will hold it on tight enough to bust them apart.
You can spin the rings by hand? If so, then just adjust them and be done.

If you can't, then cut a little edge in the bottom ring, and use a screwdriver to hit it. The spring is pushing on the upper ring, and friction is holding it. If you hit the lower ring hard enough, it should loosen from the upper. Or try two oil filter wrenches. Or build the spanner wrenches. Or buy them. I'm out of ideas.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »

No the whole assembly spins. As in the threaded tube inside the springs and the rings. Probably because there was no load on them (car jacked up).

How could I load the suspension with the tire off? Just place another jack under the suspension and jack it up?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 01:07:04 AM »

Ah. I've never messed with those, only regular stock spring/shock assemblies and on those, the spring was always tight even when there's no load on it.

To load it, yeah, that might work. That or get some spring compressors and use them to stretch it. Can rent spring compressors for free at autozone with deposit.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:59 AM »

No the whole assembly spins. As in the threaded tube inside the springs and the rings. Probably because there was no load on them (car jacked up).

How could I load the suspension with the tire off? Just place another jack under the suspension and jack it up?

Yes.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 01:32:15 PM »

Had to do that with a couple big vehicles since the jack wouldn't raise them enough to put the wheel on with suspension unloaded.

Just make sure you find a good point to jack up the suspension, or the jack may go flying.

Ravage70

• Certified OG
  • The Hotrex foot. Stiletto ready!
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »

buy a straight round bar that fits in the hole and make 2 perches out of it
I use my bench vise to make exhaust hangers all the time. Very simple.
/Thread

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »

Doug, do you pay others to change your oil?

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »

zing!!

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »

Do you pay others to cut your patch of hair?

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »

No sir, it's so little trouble being bald that I see no reason to do so.

JACER63

• Certified OG
  • well shit..
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »

a pair of channel locks will suffice. hold bottom ring  with one , break the top one loose with the other.
from the pic it looks like they are bottomed out.  need to bust the top one first. :yes:

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »

No sir, it's so little trouble being bald that I see no reason to do so.

Have the wife bic the patches.  :noel:

And Doug do as others say and use the screwdriver hammer combo.  O0
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »

dont get lowering springs. they are always too low.

im really surprised you are even asking, figure it out. if you cant, then im not sure boosting a car is within reach
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 02:54:22 AM »

im really surprised you are even asking, figure it out. if you cant, then im not sure boosting a car is within reach

As I said they aren't like regular coilovers so I wasn't sure if there was some trick to them. Not to mention it's cold as living fuck with no garage so I don't feel like sitting out there for no telling how long to figure it out freezing my ass off.

theidealone

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »

As I said they aren't like regular coilovers so I wasn't sure if there was some trick to them. Not to mention it's cold as living fuck with no garage so I don't feel like sitting out there for no telling how long to figure it out freezing my ass off.

If you freeze your ass off "trying to figure it out"...

This.

I mean. Seriously. Its pretty fuckin standard. Maybe you should just go buy you some super mad tyte jdm fan boy Teins or some shit, so you can have the "spanner wrenches". Then Im sure youll figure it out.    ::)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:40:07 AM by theidealone »

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »

go to home depot and get a piece of steel rod that fits into the spanner wrench holes in the rings,
cut it into short lengths and drop it into the holes.
bang on it with a hammer.

Its gonna smash out the holes a touch but not as bad as just bashing on it with a screw driver.
You could also grab a small piece of bar stock and easily make your own version of a spanner wrench that wouldn't slop out the holes, but it looks like you'd rather buy some other springs instead of using your noggin.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 04:29:34 PM »

If you freeze your ass off "trying to figure it out"...

This.

I mean. Seriously. Its pretty fuckin standard. Maybe you should just go buy you some super mad tyte jdm fan boy Teins or some shit, so you can have the "spanner wrenches". Then Im sure youll figure it out.    ::)

I guess reading comprehension was cut from the education budget. My exact words were I have never messed with any coilovers like these. The others I have had a simple allen bolt that locked them in place. Not to mention these have very shallow small round holes. I have NEVER seen these and didn't know if there was some kind of weird ass tool they made for them.

I love how your retarded ass puts spanner wrenches in quotations. Please do tell sir what they are called since you think that is a made up/incorrect name. Your comments alone show me you don't know shit about me.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »

but it looks like you'd rather buy some other springs instead of using your noggin.

I would rather buy springs because:

A) Cheap ass coilovers are prone to break
B) These are super shitty from all the reviews
C) From my own driving with them they are super shitty
D) I have no intention of raising or lowering my car constantly. I simple few inch drop is all I want and it will stay that way.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up