:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing/sputtering at idle  (Read 3092 times)

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
Missing/sputtering at idle
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »

So a couple days ago I changed the oil and spark plugs in my girlfriends 02 Saturn SL1. Here gas pedal stuck often and found out it was a common problem on these cars when the throttle body needed cleaning. I took that off and hit it with some simple green and cleaned most of it off and reinstalled everything.

Well now at idle the car misses/sputters and jumps from 800 down to 700 rpm when it does so. I thought maybe the IACV was just dirty since I didn't clean it and maybe some of the sludge had got on it. So I got some carb cleaner and cleaned the throttle body and IACV again, but it still does it.

I don't think it's the plugs as I know they were gapped to the correct specs and it only does it at idle. The car otherwise runs fine. It also ran fine before hand. Any ideas? The next step is to remove the TPS and IACV from the throttle body and try cleaning them again.

magik123

Re: Missing/sputtering at idle
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:19:04 PM »

"caution: IAC may be damaged if pintle is not retracted during install. Retract pintle using Scan Tool."

also they do have a relearn:
start and warm up to normal operating temp. Vary engine speed SLOWLY from idle to 3500rpm 3-4 times, engine should stabalize. 

This is assuming it is actually something to do with the IAC.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »

I didn't actually remove the IAC to clean it as you can see it from the inner side of the TB. I'll try the rev trick, does anything have to be reset or anything or do you just let it warm up then rev?

magik123

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:04:31 PM »

Did you unplug the connector, or disconnect battery, if not I dont know why you would go into relearn but it should work just warm up then idle - 3500 a few times if that is the cause.

dueyx99

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »

those cars are fussy with plugs, what plugs did you install?

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »

1 - acquire full coverage
2 - rally race with it
3 - report stolen
4 - buy a car worth a damn

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »

Did you unplug the connector, or disconnect battery, if not I dont know why you would go into relearn but it should work just warm up then idle - 3500 a few times if that is the cause.

Yeah I unplugged it to take the entire TB off to clean it

those cars are fussy with plugs, what plugs did you install?

I wanted NGK for it, but they didn't have them in stock and they guy said the Autolite plugs were just as good and the same price. They just looked cheaper, but didn't feel like waiting as I had already removed the old plugs.

1 - acquire full coverage
2 - rally race with it
3 - report stolen
4 - buy a car worth a damn

Trust me I told her several times she needs to just sell it and get a Honda.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »

Autolite plugs.  lolololol.

Did you make sure that you got the intake tubing nice and tight?  Did you get a new TB gasket?

IIRC, those cars are mass air, and a small amount of un-metered air can make it do funky things.

Delco or NGK plugs FTW.

Also, you should have removed the IAC when you cleaned the TB as you could have knocked some chunks of shit into the IAC passages.  I doubt the pintle was seated completely when you pulled the TB off.

If they use the type of IAC that I am thinking they use, you can gently press the plunger in by hand.

Good luck, and there really isn't anything inherently wrong with those cars.  Sure they aren't anything special, but they have relatively few problems, and are pretty damn easy to work on.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »

Autolite plugs.  lolololol.

Did you make sure that you got the intake tubing nice and tight?  Did you get a new TB gasket?

IIRC, those cars are mass air, and a small amount of un-metered air can make it do funky things.

Delco or NGK plugs FTW.

Also, you should have removed the IAC when you cleaned the TB as you could have knocked some chunks of shit into the IAC passages.  I doubt the pintle was seated completely when you pulled the TB off.

If they use the type of IAC that I am thinking they use, you can gently press the plunger in by hand.

Good luck, and there really isn't anything inherently wrong with those cars.  Sure they aren't anything special, but they have relatively few problems, and are pretty damn easy to work on.

Nope no new TB gasket as they didn't have it and no local dealer. I don't think it's a gasket leak as there is no surge nor does it act up while driving. It drives just fine. Intake tubing is nice and tight also.

I think I'm going to just get some new NGK plugs and try them. I have since looked up some shitty things about Autolites.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:27:21 AM »

So I started pulling plugs to check that the washer on them were all facing the same direction as the pissy autolites come with a loose washer in the box and has a lip on it. I get to the last plug and the tip and diode were almost touching. It was close enough that I couldn't even get the .020 gauge in it.

Got it regapped and it seems to run fine. I don't know WTF happened as they were about .030 out of the box and I gapped them all to .040 and then checked them again as I was putting them in the car. There was no sign of any contact or anything so who knows. I know I'll never buy cheap plugs again even if I have to wait and it isn't my car.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 06:27:05 AM »

NGK>Autolite>everything else

Jorsher is a wise man.
Pages: [1]   Go Up