:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: would you run this?  (Read 2821 times)

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
would you run this?
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »

rebuilding a block for a friend. The guy who built it last managed to fuck it up and the motor nearly locked up.

Anyways, here's a pic of 1 of the main bores. This is the only one that's fucked up. Could I get away with just replacing the bearings and calling it a day or should I get this align honed and go with OS bearings?
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

chris

Re: would you run this?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »

Your goals/cash are key in your choice

Hope it runs and have almost nothing in it

or

have it last for years to come

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »

Your goals/cash are key in your choice

Hope it runs and have almost nothing in it

or

have it last for years to come

That's pretty much what I told him. Either HOPE it lasts, or do it right. Doing it right is definitely not going to be cheap.
www.crzytuning.com

chris

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »

In reality its cheaper just to buy another used block unless its a dohc vtec motor

How does the crank looked

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »

In reality its cheaper just to buy another used block unless its a dohc vtec motor

How does the crank looked

The block is sleeved, so no it's not cheaper to just buy another block. It's an H22 motor. The crank is fine. It's recently been micropolished and balanced to 8k rpms.

The motor spun the bearing when it was stock. Then it got built, but the guy who built it didn't know wtf he was doing. The motor started for 2 minutes and leaked 2 quarts of oil, idled at 2.4k, had a loud whining/howling noise, tbelt was unbelievably tight, head bolts were loose, inside of motor was SUPER dirty and just about every other bolt was pretty loose. Except the front motor mount, that one was pretty tight.

Now it's in my hands and will make sure it runs right and lasts.
www.crzytuning.com

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »

Fuck that sucks. I would have it honed and call it a day. it would suck to put all the time int building it to have it just eat its self all over again because he didn want to spend 120 at the machine shop. Take it to DG machine in auburn, great work and garage sale pricing. You might have to wate a month to get it but it will be tits when you get it back.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking either DG or auburn auto machine. I think DG is the more expensive one, but they do really good work. I'm building anther motor currently and that's where I took it to get bored/honed.
www.crzytuning.com

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »

What's wrong with it? Put a bearing in it and run it.
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »

Was all the wear on the main bearings?  If so, align bore that bitch.  Regardless, have a machinist look at it: sometimes they come back from sleeving and check out flush at the apex of the main journals, but if you check against the sides the main bore is fucked up.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »

DG is cheaper than AAM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 01:33:14 AM »

hmm. then it must be the other way around. I think they charged something like 25/cylinder to bore/hone, and the other one charged like 250 or something.

Either way, my opinion is to take it to the machine shop and get it taken care of. I'll talk to the guy and see what he wants to do. I'll make him sign a waiver just to keep myself safe, friend or no friend.

And yeah, the wear was on the mains. The idiot who put the motor together used .25 OS bearings, which now are all scarred. Not deep, but the motor wouldn't have lasted long like that. Here's a pic of one of the main bearings. The rest are a tad worse, or just as bad. The motor had >5miles and less than 10 minutes of idling.

Keep in mind, the oil was SUPER dirty, so that might have been what caused those scarring. I did calculations and the clearances were all super tight. I'm wanting to aim for a .0015" clearance on the mains
The rest of the main bores look ok, just not sure if they're true. The measurements I took are all within limits.
www.crzytuning.com

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 11:18:59 AM »

If the block needs align honing just get a new block.

There are very very few machine shops setup to align hone motors that have steel caps and aluminum blocks (aka almost every Honda motor), and ever fewer people that know how to do it well.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance
Pages: [1]   Go Up