:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'd like to have a discussion on water/air intercoolers  (Read 3132 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
I'd like to have a discussion on water/air intercoolers
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

Lets say you are planning a 200whp turbo kit for a 2.0L engine. You want the packaging as neat, tidy and small as possible. The vehicle is daily driven and basically never beat on. Is water/air a solid choice? I have only tuned one car with a water/air setup and didn't notice anything odd about iat's compared to a properly sized air/air intercooler.

Discuss. I'm not excited about the space available for a front mount intercooler, hence why I'm thinking water
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
Re: I'd like to have a discussion on water/air intercoolers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »

Just more shit to go wrong IMHO, not my first choice for a street car but they do get the job done.

I think I would sooner run a small sidemount or something.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »

I want to keep the piping tighter than it would be with a side mount in the standard side mount location. I have a probe side mount that would be perfect if I was willing to run the pipes that far
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Phate

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »

When I get around to boosting my shitbox I'll probably go water/air, mostly because I'm a bored (read: unemployed) engineer.

Its more pieces, and you have to put a bit of thought into the cooling capacity of the system, but otherwise I don't really see any reason for it to not be an option.  Only real concern I can see would be the pump's longevity.  If you lose the pump, you no longer have an intercooler.

But I could add yet another small radiator into my lower grille area right next to the tranny cooler WAY easier than I could fit an intercooler.
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »

Just more shit to go wrong IMHO, not my first choice for a street car but they do get the job done.

plus with that small power level, just run the damn thing non-intercooled.

my buddies 4g63t Hyundai would make a couple pulls back to back before it would heat soak enough to start pulling timing. it made ~254whp
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »

my buddies 4g63t Hyundai would make a couple pulls back to back before it would heat soak enough to start pulling timing. it made ~254whp

And you cooked your fucking hand on the charge pipe after the second pull.... Shit was pretty fucking funny when you checked to see if it was hot.

And yes at those power levels I would run no intercooler 
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »

I'm partially with Phate on this idea that I'm bored and want to do something different.

Also, this will be driven a lot, in traffic and such. Non intercooled doesn't seem like a great idea.

Plus I'm in the mood for some real tech up in this piece.
obd1>gtgtall

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 01:19:12 AM »

And you cooked your fucking hand on the charge pipe after the second pull.... Shit was pretty fucking funny when you checked to see if it was hot.

And yes at those power levels I would run no intercooler

lol, wasnt teh first time either (several of us did when fuckin around on the street pre dyno). but we made a lot more pulls on the street before it pulled timing/got that hot.

Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

jdmhatchracer94

• I have a nova that will never run!!
  • Certified OG
  • Official RHMT Nigglet!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »

Guy I know runs one next to the radiator in his eg only runs the pump on hot days and at the track actually runs cooler then when it was air to air without the pump on
4 door eg nbspnbsp 13.2@118 someone needs to run slicks
338hp 293tq

Good enough to fuck your mother

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »

I say do it, especially if you are going to fab it yourself- seems like it would be a fun project

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »

I ran W2A for a while.  It was sweet because I ran an ice box and got sub-ambient IAT's.

But for something like 200whp out of a 2L engine (which can be done NA without boost) I would say run a decently sized turbo @ 5-7psi non intercooled and smoke bitches all day.

Maybe even a small water injection nozzle at the turbo inlet with very short direct charge piping.  Win  win win win.
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6
Pages: [1]   Go Up