:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: some volvo, mr2, g35 and bike work  (Read 6524 times)

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
some volvo, mr2, g35 and bike work
« on: June 09, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »

some stuff i did a while ago, but haven't had a chance to upload yet.

volvo manifold

g35 cat replacements

some downturn tips on a 919

supercharged mr2 header

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
Re: some volvo, mr2, g35 and bike work
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »

The 4a' header is super-pimp sir! Excellent!

blowoff valves are for pussies.

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »

ever consider "mass"-producing some shit, i.e those G35 cat replacements?  Everything looks DD yet still perky tits as always  :noel:

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:23:02 PM »

What does a Weir header cost?

Turbo242

• Volvo yeah fuck u too
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »

ooh shit s60R manifold!!! looks tits

how much did you charge the volvo guy?? any chance you made a jig to make some more?

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:06:05 PM »

how much did you charge the volvo guy?? any chance you made a jig to make some more?

for just a simple log $450.  i do have a jig.  i'd rather come up with a better flowing design though.

JD: headers aren't cheap.  there is just no way i can make them for what the larger companies mass produce them for.  even a hytech header is a pretty good deal imo.  plus i don't really like doing them, i'd rather do turbo manifolds.  that header i did for $1k.  the owner said he couldn't find a new header anywhere.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:20:29 PM »

for just a simple log $450.  i do have a jig.  i'd rather come up with a better flowing design though.

JD: headers aren't cheap.  there is just no way i can make them for what the larger companies mass produce them for.  even a hytech header is a pretty good deal imo.  plus i don't really like doing them, i'd rather do turbo manifolds.  that header i did for $1k.  the owner said he couldn't find a new header anywhere.

CDN or USD?
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 02:28:07 PM »

Less then a 10% diff now in the CDN and US Dolla.
fuck you

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

Less then a 10% diff now in the CDN and US Dolla.

Still the diff between a $900 and $1k header :P
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »

I can understand a man's time being worth money, and materials cost what they cost, but you make it sound like headers work you?  I've never built one so I know less than nothing real about the subject, but I have a mental image in my mind of thin walled tube being easier to work with than, and requiring less beads, a complex pipe manifold like a ram horn or topmount.  Care to toss me some bitter wisdom?

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »

Where did you order the bends for that header?  I have to build a header for a celica and was looking at getting the onces from ace.  I like how those ones have long legs on them though.

As far as building the header, I would have to agree with Arron, I much perfer working on the Sch 10 vs 16ga.  I find, at least for me, you have a lot more leeway in making nice welds and not blowing threw.  On the other hand though, It is much easier cutting the 16ga over the Sch 10.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:20:41 PM by malichite »
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

I can understand a man's time being worth money, and materials cost what they cost, but you make it sound like headers work you?  I've never built one so I know less than nothing real about the subject, but I have a mental image in my mind of thin walled tube being easier to work with than, and requiring less beads, a complex pipe manifold like a ram horn or topmount.  Care to toss me some bitter wisdom?

The market would help dictate price I would think. If you can't buy it anywhere and you need to spend many hours mocking it up and then assembling it, then you need to get paid. I think $1000 for a custom one off piece isn't crazy. Im doing a set for a V12 Ferrari headers  which are 4, 3 into 1 units and the customer cost is in the $6000 range. Now that is considering that Im not selling direct to the customer. Im not buying parts and just my labor is $2k. These are very short units but I still need to mock them up and assemble them.

No one likes to work for free and if you throw out a price and the guy is agreeable then where is the issue?  Thats the great part about doing on off stuff. No one else is doing it so you can dictate the price.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »

Nonononono, I understand that entirely.  I do a lot of custom one-off wiring and standalone installs that there aren't shelf solutions for, nor can you find (or trust) forum discussions with how few people mess with the vehicles.  I have to drop everything to learn the car, so I have to get paid enough to live.  That's the law of the land. 

I was just curious what the fab issues are with a header vs the pipe manifolds I'm accustomed to.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »

one thing is those welds where 2 pipes merge, idk how you guys are getting those welds so nice. i have to have my tungsten out like 4 inches and the gas blasted just to reach it. never used a lense though, or a really small torch
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »

one thing is those welds where 2 pipes merge, idk how you guys are getting those welds so nice. i have to have my tungsten out like 4 inches and the gas blasted just to reach it. never used a lense though, or a really small torch

Use a lense chief, makes all the difference in the world.  Also, cranking up the gas doesn't necessarily mean better gas coverage.  Some times excessive flow can actually draw in oxygen.
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

Toysrme

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »

jd its the same as wiring, it depends on what you're doing.
for anything you cant grossly speed via premade jigs (for cutting, grinding, tacking, pre-assembly & final assembly), you're looking at lots of labor costs.
the arc on time is not much different. applying the called for amperage range, root gap & filler materials will keep your overall speed the same.
only issue i really have with headers is the fact that they're generally alot larger (more of a twin bank, than inline problem) and require more time being fabbed on the car than generic turbo manifolds / shorty headers. alot of cars will have shit in the way, or so close that they require the car present - not just an engine on a stand. you can bolt & tack too.

I said this on HT one time in a thread asking about construction times on tubular i4 turbo manifolds, if you wanted to do it you could pop one out in 2-3 hours of total time at HARD work. average is 5-6 hours of time. people without experiance may spend 12-24h+ working on just one & dont believe they can be built in such a small time. Really depends on alot.

my opinion is still that the first person who puts money down on a nice pulsed mig and learns how to use it will 100% corner every manifold market he wants to get into. tacking & welding time is shit. at that point more time is spent prepping the metal than total arc on time.

Toysrme

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »

werd, the higher the gas flow the more tubulent it is, which swirls in the atmo you're trying to purge away!

tips for it are get a good gas lens, stick the bitch out farther than you think it will go, use some preflow (manually or set on the machine) & learn to reposition as you go. otherwise you have to do it in itty bitty steps, having to move abit then pull the tungest out even further.

pencil torches fucking own them too, weld as much as your wrist/arm/shoulder rotation allows.

BoostForLife

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 03:27:16 AM »

I don't know much about TIGs cause haven't used them YET, but with a mig too much gas pressure fucks with the puddle as well.

I love welding, I hate preparing to tack it or fit, but there's no way around that and could be a little frusturating sometimes.
Im actually thinking of migging myself a manifold for my ZC CRX, would be a good try for a first homemade manifold though. Tooks a year of welding class at school, learned to weld OK with all welders other than TIG, getting to that next year, and will take one more year of welding after. It's actually my most favorite class at school and I enjoy 99% of it.

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 08:20:45 AM »

jd,  i'd rather do turbo manifolds for a few reasons:

1. just because that is what i have more experience doing.
2. there isn't as much exhaust gas pulse science theory stuff involved, like there is with a properly tuned n/a header.
3. i often have parts like collectors and such on the shelf that saves a bit of construction time.
4. i find fitting parts is easier on pipe for some strange reason.
5. working with heavier material like pipe is more forgiving when cutting because it takes longer to cut though (if that makes sense).
6. when welding schedule 10 pipe to a 3/8" flange it is easier to be consistent than welding 16g tube to a 3/8" flange. (my lack of experience shows!)
7. turbos > n/a

i'm not opposed to doing headers, i'd just rather do a turbo manifold.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »

Aaron, when you make that stuff , you make (cut/weld/cut/weld,etc) with the car? of just you can make , in this case, cat replacement just with stock cats?.

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »

Aaron, when you make that stuff , you make (cut/weld/cut/weld,etc) with the car? of just you can make , in this case, cat replacement just with stock cats?.

every piece there was made without a car (even the header).  just build a jig off the part provided, then build away.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »

wow, that's so nice! i'd ike to do samething i have a FN2 stock cat here and i'd like to make it without car but i dont know how to make a right "jic" :mexi:

1991civicsi

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 09:34:25 AM »

Are the G35 cat replacements actually catalytic converters or are they hollow? The work looks really nice though.
"quotquotThis ain'#039#039t no forum, its a gang.. "quotquot BigDaddyVtec

marcj

• Marc Jew
  • Certified OG
  • Never alone, Never again. (NA)
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »

I came

Henry

• Pow-Wow Productions
  • Certified OG
  • Bonafied timber nigga
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »

You should post up on Volvospeed and people would all over your bozack Aaron with that manifold.
The nog formally known as Stillnoturbo.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 01:02:12 AM »

o/~ Bozack o/~

AstroVannin

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »

I love teh 4A header.

You ever get tired of being awesome?

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »

Where did you order the bends for that header?  I have to build a header for a celica and was looking at getting the onces from ace.  I like how those ones have long legs on them though.

Turbo242

• Volvo yeah fuck u too
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »

wow aaron thats a really FAIR price!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up