:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WTF Is A By Pass Valve?  (Read 15920 times)

G2 Racer

WTF Is A By Pass Valve?
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »

Someone wants to trade me an HKS By Pass valve for some parts I'm selling. Now my question is, wtf is a by pass valve?

This is what HKS' website says:
HKS Standard and Racing Bypass valves are push type valves that utilize calibrated spring pressure and vacuum line pressure to remain closed against the pressurized air in the charge pipe.  As the throttle is closed, creating vacuum in the line, combined with the force of the pressurized air in the charge pipe, the bypass valve pushes opens and allows the pressurized air to escape. The HKS Standard Bypass Valves are adequate for the airflow associated with engines producing upwards of 300hp. HKS Racing Bypass Valves function similar to the Standard Bypass Valves, but incorporate an additional pressurized port to aid under severe boost conditions. The Racing Bypass Valve can also be used as a safety "pop-off" valve if the second port is connected to a pressure source that does not see vacuum.  For added flexibility and function, HKS Racing Bypass Valves are offered in various adjustable boost pressure ranges that are determine by a specific spring pressure.

Sounds like a BOV to me, opinions?
Should I grab it?
I need a BOV for my build.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
Re: WTF Is A By Pass Valve?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »

another name for a bov, make sure its real
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:15:55 PM »

blow off, bypass valve.  same fuckin shit
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

y7turbo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »

I only hear bypass valve on OEM turbo cars.. Its just a blow off valve but the outlet of the bypass valve (blow off) is routed to the turbo compressor inlet.. It reuses the air that was "blown off". I think its mostly used on cars with mass airflow sensors, since the air that was blown off was already metered so it needs to be reused..

FYI: dsm bov's are actually bypass valves...

superdaveosbourne

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:57:13 PM »

Bypass or recirc valve, same shit.  It's probably made for a recirc setup, just don't run recirc lines and it's a BOV.

G2 Racer

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »

Cool, that's what I figured.

Looks real to me.

Logan76

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:02:49 PM »

thats some old school shit right there man, Bypass valves usually dont have the spring pressure that a "blow off valve" would, due to the fact they are meant to bypass the air pre-maf and not blow the air out atmospherically , like stated above dsm bov's are actually bypass valves that's why if you have trouble with them blowing off too early/leaking boost you have to crush the top of them with a hammer to make the spring compressed more, therefore requiring more pressure to open it.  ;)

G2 Racer

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »

Looked it up on HKS' website and it is adjustable and by hooking up both ports it functions as a BOV/Pop off valve.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »

That looks like a slightly larger version of a 1g DSM bov that I use to bypass the s/c on my car.
Thinking about using two those, e-cut valve, or a 51mm bov.

crsrges

• N00B *Read Intro Sticky*
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »

Yea just recirculates the bypass air into the intake befor the turbo. very quiet and sometimes helps the car run better. my buddys 240 runs like shit if it isnt recirculated.
Chris

Logan76

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »

Thats because hes running a suck through maf, if he ran blow through or map he would'nt have that problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up