:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intake diameter on a MAF car  (Read 3416 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
Intake diameter on a MAF car
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »

I did some reading when I first got my 07 SI saying that the factory tune was rich and that hondata gained power by leaning it a little and lowering the vtec point to make their universal reflash. I have been thinking about playing with the intake diameter to try to get the same leaning. Has anyone tried doing the same thing? The exhaust on the car is black, it's 100% stock with the standard IHE. I figure I can hook up my wideband and keep increasing the tube size where the MAF sensor is till I'm happy.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
Re: Intake diameter on a MAF car
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »

Problem that you will find is as you start to increase tube dia. it will not be a linear amount of leaning out. You might find it will run great up top but be really lean down low due to the fact there is not enough air moving past the wire to let the computer know whats up. I remember I tested one of the first 4.6 3v turbonetics kits and it placed the stock maf in a 4" dia. tube and it ran like total ass till the maf got enough airflow to gather an accurate reading. I brought it to there attention and newer kits are a blowthru type still using the factory credit card maf.

Not knowing exactly how large you have to go but I think you might find it hard to get the exact dia. tube you need.
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »

I was thinking about that where part throttle might suck but wide open would be good. Right now, part throttle has issues in a couple spots but it's very minor. If I was tuning it I would fix it, but I don't have flash pro and don't really want to spend the cash when I have no plans to do any more modding to the car.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »

Problem that you will find is as you start to increase tube dia. it will not be a linear amount of leaning out.

The change in flow is a function of the cross-sectional area, and therefore linear.  The manner in which the air tumbles at low flow skews the way the MAF sensor reads, introducing uncertainty, and that changes for every permutation of intake tract.  There are also some harmonics taking place that skew the way a MAF works, as well.

You see, your problem is that you ASSume the factory MAF curve is correct in the first place, which it is very much NOT.  Fords apply half their fuel trims towards a MAF trim in order to learn the MAF, when you changed shit up it not only had the *wrong* MAF curve (despite whatever you were using to spoof the stock curve), but likely the learned MAF trim stacked on top of it.

It's kinda wierd you use a 3V example, 110% of those cars kits come with something to reflash the ECU that raise a bunch of max fuel pulsewidth limitations in the code.  Kinda hard to do one right without directly editing the ECU for the changes made.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:54:45 AM »

I'm not expecting to work magic or anything. My main goal is a little better mpg, cleaner exhaust and if I gain some power in the process then that's cool too. I also want to get rid of this random low rpm, high load issue. I wish I could just tune the damn thing with Crome, I could have everything I wanted then. Flash pro is just too damn expensive when the current boot ons are all the car will ever get.
obd1>gtgtall

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »

This is like tossing on a B&M command flow and leaning out an integra. You're just doing it with air. If your entire tune is rich, it will be okay. You'll also be running a bit more timing though, since it's reading off a different load cell rather than just dumping less air.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »

I'll pull plugs too. I have tuned tons of map cars, but never really messed with MAF cars except fixing them. We will see what happens. I think the current intake is 2.5", I have a 3" tube I'm gonna try.
obd1>gtgtall

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »

This is like tossing on a 4 bar MAP sensor and leaning out an integra.

Fixed.

Bigger sampling tube bigger metering capacity kthxbai

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »

The MAF sensor is small, it seems like a lot of air would get passed it without it reading it. Of course this is all just theory in my head since I have no real experience.
obd1>gtgtall

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »

The MAF doesn't read every molecule, it reads a sample of the whole and presumes the rest of the tube is flowing the same. Enlarge the tube and that sample moves slower/less air for the same overall CFM's.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 01:24:25 AM »

The MAF doesn't read every molecule, it reads a sample of the whole and presumes the rest of the tube is flowing the same. Enlarge the tube and that sample moves slower/less air for the same overall CFM's.
Or exactly what i said in my first post. And going from 2.5 to 3" is a HUGE change
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »

Or exactly what i said in my first post. And going from 2.5 to 3" is a HUGE change

Dear sir,

Where is my money.

And Fuck you. :)

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »

Not really.  2.5" to 4" sampling tube, maybe.

Compressing the first seven volts of a hotwire's output to five volts is a HUGE change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up