:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non OEM coil output?  (Read 2514 times)

snm95ls

• Certified OG
Non OEM coil output?
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »

Anyone ever have issues with low spark energy with a non-OEM coil?  I had to put a coil in the parental unit's Integra over Thanksgiving break, and put in a BWD coil after determining that the stock coil had very diminished output.  Tested the ouput at the plug after installing the new coil, and the spark was pretty weak and king of intermittent.  The plug wires are NGK blues that are only a couple of years old.

Input?

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: Non OEM coil output?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

Was there an improvement with the china coil?  And, yes, china coils are often bad out of the box.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:56:13 PM »

Was there an improvement with the china coil?  And, yes, china coils are often bad out of the box.

Yes.  The misfire was eliminated as far as I could tell after getting it hot and loading up the engine as much as I could on the street..  I don't have access to a scope with the proper pickup or kV meter so I was checking with an ST-125 spark tester.  The spark at the coil tower was much better than with the weak OEM coil, but not as good as my turd with OEM guts, and NGK wires was through the number one spark plug wire.

So I will probably be using the warranty, and/or getting them to take it back for customer satisfaction?  lol.

I didn't know if this was common or if I should suspect a dying ICM as well.  Usually they just stop working like most ignition modules.  I normally order stuff though Workpak when we have a Honda/Acura come though the shop when I am working there, but I was the weekend, and I am now back at school.

I guess I need to a Bosch ordered from Wolrdpak when I go back for winter break.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »

I've never seen a bad ignitor cause that problem.  I'm not saying it couldn't happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up