Forum > Hybrid/Tech

intake manifold theory?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Minor Threat:

--- Quote from: turbohf on October 24, 2014, 09:55:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Minor Threat on October 24, 2014, 08:01:28 PM ---gut iab plate x2 stack em up hog the fuck out of everything. bigger is better on h22

--- End quote ---

see i have heard that, but i have seen a couple dynos where the torque was fuckin dead down low, it comes back after VTEC to make more tq and hp... but if it kills it down low this swap is void. ill look for them again to make this a informative posts.

--- End quote ---

Are you running an H or B trans? If B trans, torque numbers are almost irrelevant, even an H22 with "low" torque numbers still makes more torque than a B series.

If H trans, ain't nobody got time fo dat.

turbohf:
http://www.blacktrax.net/products/IntakeManifolds.html <~ couple dynos there... say they have IAB's but look at the dynos, wicked torque loss right off the bat?!?!

here is a nice one actually:

http://mnhondas.com/showthread.php?t=20805
     JDM H22
    H22 intake manifold & throttle body
    Bisimoto header
    3” full exhaust
    3” BLOX VS
    Hand Command chipped P28 + crome
    PS still attached
    AC still attached
    Balance Shafts still attached
    92 pump gas
    non B series tranny

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/h22a_head/  <~ Larry's thoughts... no dynos tho.

turbohf:

--- Quote from: Minor Threat on October 24, 2014, 10:16:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: turbohf on October 24, 2014, 09:55:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Minor Threat on October 24, 2014, 08:01:28 PM ---gut iab plate x2 stack em up hog the fuck out of everything. bigger is better on h22

--- End quote ---

see i have heard that, but i have seen a couple dynos where the torque was fuckin dead down low, it comes back after VTEC to make more tq and hp... but if it kills it down low this swap is void. ill look for them again to make this a informative posts.

--- End quote ---

Are you running an H or B trans? If B trans, torque numbers are almost irrelevant, even an H22 with "low" torque numbers still makes more torque than a B series.

If H trans, ain't nobody got time fo dat.

--- End quote ---

B-series trans.... S80/GSR gears, ITR LSD.... but my last CX had a B20VTEC, made 220whp/148ft... some of these H22 dynos im seeing ONLY beat the torque well into VTEC. i want torque down low too, and to hold it out...

HiProfile:
The problem with those graphs is how the engine specs compare. You're looking at dyno numbers for a 90.7mm stroke but you'll be running a 97mm stroke. You're also looking at numbers with no tuning, stock 10-ish compression, stock cams, and OEM intake manifold.

Here's a better idea what a higher CR H22/F23 combo will net with a ported OEM intake manifold (note the Type-S cams are barely any bigger than H22 cams). This guy, PirateMcFred, did everything a person should do to make the engine perform better while keeping it very simple. It makes your 220whp/148wtq B20V look like a B16 with all the torque it brings. IIRC he only ported the manifold & IAB's but left them functional. I can't find his original build thread that shows specifically what he did.

http://570sx.blogspot.com/2010/08/ok-old-beater-nonvtec-g23-has-nearly.html

BTW here's a 12:1CR 220whp B20/V dyno I used for comparison. It shows poor torque below 4k compared to an H22 with comparable work, and it's still not better than any of the 190whp H22 graphs off the blacktrax website.

This is how I feel about "low torque" below 4k. My H23A has a K20A2 manifold on it which I think is comparable down low to the OEM manifold with IAB's removed. I recently borrowed my parent's spare car, a 1.8L (?) Astra, and I keep bogging it because I'm so used to NOT downshifting my H23A. I mean I only use 1st gear when I'm stopped, 2nd gear is fine for nearly any rolling stop.

Joseph Davis:
The theory behind intake manifolds is the direct air into the engine.

Everyone should run a K20 intake manifold.  They are a direct bolt on for most engines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version