:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbo sound 2.5" vs 3" DP?  (Read 4795 times)

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
Turbo sound 2.5" vs 3" DP?
« on: December 24, 2009, 01:56:13 PM »

Ok this could be a stupid question but why does a car running a 2.5" vs a 3" dp make more of a whirling turbo sound cruising around? I have heard and seen this many times and don't understand how a more restrictive dp would make the turbo sound like it is spooling all the time out the exhaust.

2.5" = whirling turbo/jet turbine noise

3" = Old Toyota pickup with crappy exhaust

Now this only applies to open DP and i can understand having say a stg1 vs stg3 turbine wheel, but this was simply DP swap situations.

Cooljnateman

Re: Turbo sound 2.5" vs 3" DP?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 02:04:01 PM »

My nig nog newb logic here take with grain of salt...

SInce the 2.5 is more restrictive the turbo stays in a more of a spooling situation longer and more frequently as aposed to the 3 inch dp.

I recall when i had my 2.5 open dp it would sound nice cruising and when it would spool it would really howl.

Also because the 3 in is that much more "flowy" it prob doesnt have any back pressure to push the turbin wheel into a constitant faint spool that gives it the jet plane effect that is nice.
Integra LS-T nbspnbsp 221.5 Hp 215.5 TQ 5.5psi Dyno-Max add 8-10% and for DynoJet numbers HATERS!

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »

Is this in the wrong section?

where the fuck is JD he has been helpful lately, weird i know :P

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »

SInce the 2.5 is more restrictive the turbo stays in a more of a spooling situation longer and more frequently as aposed to the 3 inch dp.

I recall when i had my 2.5 open dp it would sound nice cruising and when it would spool it would really howl.

Also because the 3 in is that much more "flowy" it prob doesnt have any back pressure to push the turbin wheel into a constitant faint spool that gives it the jet plane effect that is nice.

that is the most intelligent post i have ever seen from you!!!

where did you copy and paste from?
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »

too bad its completely retarded

I have had the "spooling sound" with both my 2.5" and 3", and I still have it like crazy with my 3" full exhaust... it varies from setup to setup and turbo to turbo. The bigger the exhaust the less muffling it should technically do - a smaller DP may have different acoustics and sound different, but a bigger dp will spool faster and more audibly 90% of the time.
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:09:57 PM »

TRUTH!

too bad its completely retarded

I have had the "spooling sound" with both my 2.5" and 3", and I still have it like crazy with my 3" full exhaust... it varies from setup to setup and turbo to turbo. The bigger the exhaust the less muffling it should technically do - a smaller DP may have different acoustics and sound different, but a bigger dp will spool faster and more audibly 90% of the time.
I have sex like a winning race car.
I always finish first and have left many disappointed.

Cooljnateman

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »

Well thank you sir!!!

Towdogg is a good teacher....plus i been doing alot of reading lately, tryna do my turbo setup right next time, hopefully within next month or 2

and there was no copy paste haha
Integra LS-T nbspnbsp 221.5 Hp 215.5 TQ 5.5psi Dyno-Max add 8-10% and for DynoJet numbers HATERS!

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »

:'(

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 02:33:22 AM »

bump some people care to comment.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 05:33:39 AM »

I would assume it's the muffling action of the smaller pipe - on the low notes, not the high-pitched whirring. My e-cutout is just before the gas tank, and I really don't hear the whirring sound anymore. I ran my EF with the DP stop at the firewall, got the whirring but overall the exhasut was loud as fuck and drown the whirring.

The backpressure idea wouldn't really fit, since less restriction after the turbine should always increase the overall pressure drop - meaning less manifold backpressure needed for the same turbine shaft speed.

One thing to note, Aero said his VGT Holset sounded a lot quieter, but more jet-like, at idle when the VGT was closed/restricted. I know that's partially due to the increased shaft speed, but might also be due to the extra muffling. I also know people who have used a quick spool valve say the same thing when they block off a volute.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

I would assume it's the muffling action of the smaller pipe - on the low notes, not the high-pitched whirring. My e-cutout is just before the gas tank, and I really don't hear the whirring sound anymore. I ran my EF with the DP stop at the firewall, got the whirring but overall the exhasut was loud as fuck and drown the whirring.

The backpressure idea wouldn't really fit, since less restriction after the turbine should always increase the overall pressure drop - meaning less manifold backpressure needed for the same turbine shaft speed.

One thing to note, Aero said his VGT Holset sounded a lot quieter, but more jet-like, at idle when the VGT was closed/restricted. I know that's partially due to the increased shaft speed, but might also be due to the extra muffling. I also know people who have used a quick spool valve say the same thing when they block off a volute.

I think alot of it with the VGT is the very large housing on that turbo. It has a large volume for exhaust pulses to muffle themselves somewhat. You close the VGT down and you now have a small outlet to that large volume.  Kinda like putting the silencer in the tip of your muffler.

bouncinofftherevlimiter

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »

On my 3" open dp vgt holset, I don't hardly ever get te whistle no matter where the vgt is at, I was slightly disappointed, cause I am afterall an acoustic ricer, but soon got over it... The hx35 was wayyy louder on both compressor and turbine side.

I figured it was the huge turbine housing muffled it alot, no matter the vane position.
No longer own a turbo car...

94 Accord, first running 4g63 piston/h22 rod/f22 block &ampamp crank

HX35 18lb 486hp/391tq

Vagitarian

• Panik Mekanik
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »

I find its turbo dependant. I remember my ebay T3/t04E 57 trim was no wear near as audible as my garrett t3 .60/.63 with the same intake and almost identical exhaust

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »

But youre a bigger fag than widebody, no one cares
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »

On my 3" open dp vgt holset, I don't hardly ever get te whistle no matter where the vgt is at, I was slightly disappointed, cause I am afterall an acoustic ricer, but soon got over it... The hx35 was wayyy louder on both compressor and turbine side.

I figured it was the huge turbine housing muffled it alot, no matter the vane position.

I'm surprised.  Maybe its because mine only has 8" of pipe after the turbine, but with the VGT closed it's a whistling bitch.  I love it.
Exhaust note itself is always quieter than any other open O2 I've ever run.

The VGT's we have put on our 8.3 cummins, the HE431V, and HE551V both are alot quieter exhaust wise than the HX40 and H1E that we replaced.

bouncinofftherevlimiter

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »

I'm surprised.  Maybe its because mine only has 8" of pipe after the turbine, but with the VGT closed it's a whistling bitch.  I love it.
Exhaust note itself is always quieter than any other open O2 I've ever run.

The VGT's we have put on our 8.3 cummins, the HE431V, and HE551V both are alot quieter exhaust wise than the HX40 and H1E that we replaced.

my DP dumps about the front of the firewall..

i dont run the VGT closed all the way, its always open some... all the way closed the car runs like dick, i have a stop on it so it is open some
No longer own a turbo car...

94 Accord, first running 4g63 piston/h22 rod/f22 block &ampamp crank

HX35 18lb 486hp/391tq

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »

Shut your cock sucker

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »

Shut your cock sucker

You shut your snitch ass mouth. don't ruin my thread being a faggot.

bump for more opinion on the matter.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 03:53:33 AM »

Ok this could be a stupid question but why does a car running a 2.5" vs a 3" dp make more of a whirling turbo sound cruising around? I have heard and seen this many times and don't understand how a more restrictive dp would make the turbo sound like it is spooling all the time out the exhaust.

2.5" = whirling turbo/jet turbine noise

3" = Old Toyota pickup with crappy exhaust

Now this only applies to open DP and i can understand having say a stg1 vs stg3 turbine wheel, but this was simply DP swap situations.

so you have no idea how to use a turbo
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »

How does asking about sound changes with a simple dp change, mean i do not know how to use a turbo? Your fucking retarded.

Go drive your hick mobile through the same puddle.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 04:14:20 AM »

How does asking about sound changes with a simple dp change, mean i do not know how to use a turbo? Your fucking retarded.

Go drive your hick mobile through the same puddle.

turbo a car newb
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me
Pages: [1]   Go Up