:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not NepTune?  (Read 32918 times)

theidealone

Why not NepTune?
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »

Well, I trust most opinions on this site. I know, asking this question, I wont have to hear "S300", which is all I get from friends.

I am running Crome, but tuned by a friend, so it just isnt convenient without an ostrich of my own. So Im looking for a better and more convenient EMS. I have run S300, and while I dont think its horrible, I dont want to pay 150% of what I could pay for something comparable or better. So Im obviously looking at eCtune and NepTune as my two options.

My issue with eCtune is pretty much Calvin. With his concerns of how Crome turned out, and everything I read about (forced updates, and single user license paranoia), I dont trust it. I think its harder, when I send simple emails and get smug replies that come 4 days later, or not at all. Which sucks, because when it was released, I was certain it would be my future tuning software.

So now Im reading up on NepTune. One good thing about NepTune, is there is a tuner somewhat local to me that is an "authorized tuner/dealer" for them, where as with eCtune, there is no one. All of the local kids that run NepTune LOVE it, nothing bad to say. But on that note, I dont plan on paying anyone to tune my car. I have a friend that is capable, but he is only used to Hondata's interface. I have heard that NepTune is quite different, and a little less user friendly.

I guess Im just looking for opinions. Im a broke fuck. So once I buy this, I wont be replacing it anytime soon, or even be able to.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
Re: Why not NepTune?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »

Why pay for something when crome can do the same fucking thing for free?
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

bigwig

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »

If you're ok with Crome, and the only thing you don't like is not having an Ostrich, buy an Ostrich.

Otherwise, I don't think I've heard too many people complain about tuing S300, Neptune, or ectune.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »

Neptune is great stuff, I use it.

The customer support is phenomenal, even if the local shop who retails it can't help you, JR is very very quick at getting back to you.

The UI is pretty straight forward, you may need to clarify what a few functions do but again, it's an e-mail away.

Plus, the RTP boards have bluetooth built in, pretty trick shit.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »

I absolutely love what ectune offers, but the BS involved is too much of a hassle for anything that I will be building anytime soon.  I know there are lots of people that really love ectune, and it works great for them, but IMO Calvin is turing lots of people off to it.  Maybe he kind of wants that to an extent.  I really don't know.  None of the shops in town want to touch it.  It's a shame really.

I like the fact that Neptune is no nonsense.

Crome works pretty ok for the most part, and I agree with Bigwig.  If all you dislike about it is not having an ostroch of your own, then buy one.

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »

ectune is nice but the license factor makes me wish i didnt get involved as well as up grading to demon having to pay 20usd and then not having a working serial for 4 days with emails back and forth. now that it works it nice i havent used neptune but people love it and its now available with demon rtp at a discounted rate than it previously was.
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

chris

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »

Forced updates? There is no way around them?

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »

Nope

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »

nope its dated in the software, so if you dont have an internet connection you loose. Ectune is also protected from the good old change of date so calvin says it will go into hack mode and that windows serial will be banned from the server and you will need a new copy of windows to run the program again. To me ectune is like the bad things about it really fucking suck but the good things are ggggrrreaattt
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:12:02 PM by lilpooh21186 »
Ecu chipping
basmaps

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:04:05 PM »

If you aren't trying to fuck around, and take the less than one minute a forced update takes once a month (that it reminds you of a week ahead of time), there are no hassles with eCtune. 

Neptune is supposed to be super nice, never dealt with it.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »

If you aren't trying to fuck around, and take the less than one minute a forced update takes once a month (that it reminds you of a week ahead of time), there are no hassles with eCtune. 

Which is no big deal if you use it all the time and/or it is on your primary computer.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »

If you only tune every so often, since it's a special occasion is it a big deal to open your laptop and run an update a couple days ahead of tune time?  Especially if it's the last week of the month?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »

If you only tune every so often, since it's a special occasion is it a big deal to open your laptop and run an update a couple days ahead of tune time?  Especially if it's the last week of the month?

No, it is not, but it doesn't always go that way, Joey.

I will admit that I do not have an ectune license myself, but I do have one friend that I talked into getting it, and the last time we were supposed to try to get some tuning time in(a couple of weekends ago), he could not get it to force updates.

It is still a great program from what I have dealt with, but just because you use it all the time and have no issues doesn't mean that others complaints about the updates aren't legitimate.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »

after a recent s300 tune i did, i will say dont go that way even though you already said you didnt plan on it. i would like to try neptune sometime and maybe i will on my own car sometime. calvin has turned me off to ectune. it is great software, but after a few emails back and forth, i got annoyed. i do 99% of my local tuning with crome and lately, im not sure if its worth spending money to go with anything else.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »

No, it is not, but it doesn't always go that way, Joey.

I will admit that I do not have an ectune license myself, but I do have one friend that I talked into getting it, and the last time we were supposed to try to get some tuning time in(a couple of weekends ago), he could not get it to force updates.

People who can't successfully connect to the internet should maybe not attempt to tune their own car?   :-\

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 09:12:51 PM »

9 out of 10 tunes i do start out at my house where i have wifi. i never really understood the updating complaints. i can see how it would be a PITA if you didnt have internet access but there are too many places with free internet anymore that you can get in their parking lot
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »

zing!

both softwares are great but i use eCtune primarily.  The neptune interface is quite a bit different than that of crome and ectune, but its not rocket science.

the updates really arent a big deal.  If thats the only complaint you have then i'd say your in pretty good shape.  Taking the security factor away from it would easily turn it into crome where everyone and there mom ran the patched Pro version.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »

Lol only that gets me is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to be a tuner with ectune as well as the $65 license fee for each car you tune. 85% of My customers have hard time comming up with the 350 for turbo dyno tune. Let alone to add 65 if I eat there fee the loss is to great not to mention how the fuck do you sell a 65 dollar basemap in this economy. I see evans Now does som e-tune bs i don't u derstand his concept
Ecu chipping
basmaps

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »

i dont do just dyno tuning, but i charge 300 for a street tune including the software fee.  The fee is technically 100 dollars but some of the other tuners advertise it cheaper, but they still pay the same 100 to Calvin for each tune.

i refuse to use crome and i will do my best to convert someone from hondata to either ectune or neptune.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 09:30:18 PM »

Lol only that gets me is the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to be a tuner with ectune as well as the $65 license fee for each car you tune. 85% of My customers have hard time comming up with the 350 for turbo dyno tune. Let alone to add 65 if I eat there fee the loss is to great not to mention how the fuck do you sell a 65 dollar basemap in this economy. I see evans Now does som e-tune bs i don't u derstand his concept

Eh only offers it for K-Poo and K-flail.

I would suggest finding better clientele in that case.  If you don't have the money for a good tune and the accompanying equipment, then you really don't have any business trying to make power at levels that require those two things.

speedjunky01

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »

calvins answers are usualy. . . short and sweet lol

the software is great, and the explenantions in the software its self is very good. I like it a lot deff a good buy.

been keeping my 250+k d16 at 13psi together very well  :noel:

theidealone

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:19 AM »

As far as Crome goes: the ostrich isnt my only downfall. Its my friend's license as well. So in order to use Crome Pro... Im shit out of luck really. John Cui has become a phantom. I cant get anti lag without a bunch of hassle: Gold (and I cant get Pro/Gold) or the add-on, but the add-on doesnt work without VTEC to enable a high cam, or at least something to put load like VTEC engaging. And if I WERE going to spend 150 for a license, it wouldnt be for Crome. Not with everything else available. So really, Crome like Hondata, is not an option right now.

As far as the NepTune: I still havent heard one complaint about NepTune. My only qualm is that no one can complain, but no one can give me any advice aside from hearsay... Well, sure there are some. But by proportions...

Onto the forced updates and other Calvin quirks: Its hard to picture how inconveniencing the updates are without experiencing first hand. But they definitely arent a selling factor. Im more concerned that when I DO need my software, I will experience some BS or glitch that will disable me from getting shit done. I dont want to have to fire up my laptop in advance, to use a software that I paid for. Its kinda vital. I shouldnt have to worry about that in my mind. I should just be able to plug it in and go. I dont tune all of the time. I will pretty much do the initial tunes, make changes as the season progresses (fuckin E85 @ the pump sucks), and have it around at the track for logs and small adjustments.

Im also concerned that I will forget to renew, and lose my license. Or Calvin will fall off the earth like John Cui, and eCtune will just be a worthless file on my computer, and 200 bucks wasted. At least with NepTune, its been around, and it doesnt have the forced updates. So if NepTune went away like John, it would still work on whatever update was available or in use.

The other bitch is that I havent seen shit but screen shots, and cant even get the stupid datalogger trial to work, because its retarded forced update isnt working. So I cant even browse the software, but I can with NepTune or Hondata. :( I dunno. Im REALLY trying to talk myself into eCtune, but its just hard. And like mentioned early (not only by me), my email conversations have been less than pleasant or resourceful. Kinda short and cold, like they could give a fuck less about my business... How is that supposed to make me feel about their future customer service, when they DO have my money?

Im not even sure what Im getting at right now. :( I guess I had just planned on eCtune for so long, and now when Im ready, it seems SUPER sketch.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »

Neptune has forced updates, it expires on the first of every month.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

speedjunky01

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »

ectune antilag owns all

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 01:18:30 AM »

Hmmm.  i didn't know this.  Is this a relatively new implementation, or has it always been like that.

theidealone

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 01:18:43 AM »

Quote from: HRTuning.com
NepTune's features are rock solid, our support is second to none, and our support forum is not constantly full of bug reports. We also don't force you to update your software if you're happy with the current version
http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/category/neptune-rtp

Maybe theyre lying?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:20:21 AM by theidealone »

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 01:49:36 AM »

I dunno, I have a dealer version, maybe it's different, or maybe it's changed I haven't tuned a Honda in months. E-mail and ask, JR is good about replying quick.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56:51 AM »

I dunno, I have a dealer version, maybe it's different, or maybe it's changed I haven't tuned a Honda in months. E-mail and ask, JR is good about replying quick.

yea, dealers are forced to update every month and James has always been very quick to respond with any questions.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 01:42:07 PM »

eCtune is nice & has some things Neptune doesn't (small margin), but it's marketed now as "no fuss" w/o forced updates, from someone who's mother tongue is english, and as much politeness as can be. Maybe it's common to get sassy with joe shmoe customers in Surnaime, but not where I was raised. AFAIK it also doesn't monitor your calibration creation. I can't complain too much, as my low-compression turbo d16 gets better gas milage with eCtune than my oem b16 does on a stock p30.

One thing I'm thinking about doing is getting the Neptune demon package and using both to see what I prefer better. My brother would buy me out for use on his car depending on what plays out. For those with an ectune/demon package, HR-tuning offers a license for only $150.

I know it's happened more than once where the update was uploaded a DAY before it timebombed. Not every non-tuner fires up their lappy on a daily basis, either. I'm sure it's been better lately, but I honestly haven't touched ectune in nearly a year.

It's limited to the extent any Windoze program is. "Creative thinking" is the extent of info I'll provide.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »

i may start using Neptune now if calvin doesnt get back to where he was when he started.   The short little comments i get in reply to legitimate questions just make me feel like i have done something wrong when i have been promoting his product the best i can.  its a little frustrating when you feel you cant even contact the creator of the software you use the most without feeling like your being talked down to as if you are unimportant.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:13:24 AM by 98vtec »
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up