:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not NepTune?  (Read 32946 times)

theidealone

Re: Why not NepTune?
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2010, 02:47:15 AM »

Blundar told me that they would "probably do it for free" if there wasnt "neglect or abuse". Seriously? No questions asked? That sounds more like an accusation to me. Ive seriously hardly used this thing. Its damn near brand new, and shouldnt be such a PITA.

And yes, I know I can use an Ostrich and Hulog, but I waited it out for the Demon, so I wouldnt have to use the Ostrich and Hulog. I dont want to downgrade. I want a board that fits within my ECU. Sadly, S300 fits, I have a pretty solid tune for one, Ive never had connecting issues, and I dont have to worry about software or hardware bugs. Plus, I only have one guy out here, that is well versed with NepTune, vs. everybody and their mom being comfortable with S300.

I just didnt want to be another Hondata nut hugger. :(

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2010, 07:04:29 AM »

Blundar told me that they would "probably do it for free" if there wasnt "neglect or abuse". Seriously? No questions asked? That sounds more like an accusation to me.

Take two steps back and look at the import community.  Do you trust them to correctly change oil?  It's nothing personal, sir.

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2010, 10:46:51 AM »

that is well versed with NepTune, vs. everybody and their mom being comfortable with S300.

I just didnt want to be another Hondata nut hugger. :(

talk to who is going to tune the car and ask them what to get.you dont want some one learning new software on your car.
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

theidealone

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

Yea JD, but at the same time, I offered to send quality photos, after I clearly explained the issue. I dont see how that can be neglect or abuse. The only way around it happening, would have been to remove the knock board. But its not my ECU, so I couldnt do that. (My ECU turned out to be shit, so I borrowed this P61 from a friend).

And yea runsfromdacops. Its actually a good friend of mine, and he has never used NepTune before. Although Im confident that he has done fine with the tune, he's sick of the connectivity issues, and fucking with it setup so much. Hes much more comfortable with Hondata, along with everyone else in Colorado. I just really didnt want to use Hondata. But I guess if I can sell this Demon and NepTune serial, I will just have to jump on the bandwagon. :(

theidealone

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »

Took some pics of how the USB broke. Not sure if the P72 daughter board lines up differently than the P61, but I had to take a couple extra measure than Xenocron mentions in his write up.

The USB socket (how it should be)

How it is now

Surface mount is suck

My board that the USB is NOT broken on. Showing the USB cord shaved down and taped up for clearance (Which is kinda shitty design IMO)

The daughter board and how it all lines up

If I lay the board all the way down, that chip contacts with the USB cord

So this is what I decided to do differently from Xenocron's instructions:
I put two of small screws that would hold the daughter board in, into the case without the board. Using these to prop the board up.

I then put the board in, and held it in by the other two screws, just loosely screwed in.

I was then going to put the cover on backwards, because the center hole is offset. But there is that plastic anti static cover inside of the lid, and I wanted that to line up with the daughter board obviously.

So the lid had to go on facing the correct way. But I obviously cant put a screw in it, because the screw is under it already. If this were MY ECU, I would have cut the recess out, so that the lid can sit flush, but its not mine, so I cant. So it does bulge up in the center. But with the screw being under where the pressure is, I dont see any damage coming from this...

Heres the bulging

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »

OK, question.  You said you kept the KS board because it's not your ECU.  Yet, the ECU is socketed and obviously meant for tuning - so why not remove the KS board?

theidealone

« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »

I have no idea. I will admit, I dont know that much of what Im doing. I just have a steady hand, and can solder. I installed the set-up for my friend, into his ECU. I havent read a write up that says to remove it. I know I CAN, but I dont know if there is a reason he might want to keep it??? So unless he gives me the go ahead, its obviously not my decision to pull it.

[EDIT] So the question is, honestly, is there ANY reason he should keep the daughter board? Is there no way to use the knock sensor with a chipped ECU? Or is it just a waste of space, and should come out, because there is NO way in hell that it will EVER benefit him???
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:15:56 PM by theidealone »

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »

The Honduh knock routine is pretty whack from what I gather.  JD may or may not choose to go into detail.  It owuld be nice to read an explanation as to why.  I ASSume it only looks for knock during periods that we don't care about, such as part throttle cruise.

I don't claim to know for sure though, so...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:23:48 PM by snm95ls »

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »

A KS board is an emissions device on a Honda.  Read a Helms if you don't believe me - the ECU stops paying attention to it at WOT and above 5K rpms.  I can appreciate your not wanting to make blind modifications on someone else's ECU, but this is a situation where retaining it has obviously caused damage to that Demon.  This is one of the grey areas where selling raw un-sugarcoated technology to the public creates problems, and I think there should be documentation stating to remove the KS board to avoid situations like yours.

In all honesty, all the pads on the Demon look intact, and the USB port does not appear to have bent/broken pins.  That's a very easy fix, it'd take longer for the iron to heat than to reflow those joints.

theidealone

« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »

Ok, cool. I wasnt sure how valuable the stock knock sensor is. Thanks for the info. Im going to run it by him, and hopefully just pull that bitch. And its going on an LS, not a B17 anyways, so Im not even sure that he would be able to utilize it.

And I completely agree. Someone should adjust the write ups that have been done (J-K, HRTuning, Xenocron, etc) to just remove the knock boad, rather than shave the USB down, and solder it straight into the ECU, blah blah blah. It seems that there is no real benefit from keeping it, and as youve stated, its just fucking shit up.

We will probably be sending back the Demon this weekend. I would solder it myself, but the 5 little miniature prongs look like I would bridge the shit out of them. So I would rather leave that to the professionals, especially if they will warranty it.

Thanks for the info and help. I appreciate it.

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2010, 09:06:41 AM »

Get a 15 what solder iron and smallest guage u can find u can do it moates repairs always took me 2 weeks to a month but then I've recived two deamons for my situations.
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »

you seriously can't handle that. I wouldve just soldered back in without much thought.

theidealone

« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »

Its not my board, and its these 5 spots in the middle that make my hand shake. LOL.

theidealone

« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »

Fuckers. I soldered the USB back in, I will take pics in a little bit.

But Im about to pull the knock board out. What do I need to do? Just desolder the ribbon cable from the ECU? Anything else?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »

Fuckers. I soldered the USB back in, I will take pics in a little bit.

But Im about to pull the knock board out. What do I need to do? Just desolder the ribbon cable from the ECU? Anything else?

FYI, a heat gun works pretty well for that operation.

A solder sucker would also obviously work too.

You could always go to PGMFI.org to find your answer....

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »

It is impossible to remove a KS board without the aid of a frosty alcoholic beverage.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »

People do anything to cars without a frosty alcoholic beverage?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2010, 02:56:06 AM »

It is impossible to remove a KS board without the aid of a frosty alcoholic beverage.

I did it without a frosty beverage, just a pair of snips. A frosty beverage would have made the 3 snips much more enjoyable.
My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

chris

« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2010, 04:36:14 AM »

People do anything to cars without a frosty alcoholic beverage?

I smoke crank before I port.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »

Sounds like a solid plan. What could go wrong?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

chris

« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »

Nothing I havent slept in 4 days. Busy doing nothing!

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »

after to read this thread , ill go with neptune very soon..
 :yes:

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2010, 04:45:06 PM »

I'm a little behind on any of this shit as my car is still down, but looks like Calvin might pull the forced update finally.
http://forum.ectune.com/viewtopic.php?t=2698

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »

Well then, why not eCtune?

Problem resolved.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up