:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ideas on how to bring import work to a domestic dominant shop  (Read 15104 times)

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
Re: ideas on how to bring import work to a domestic dominant shop
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »

Have them hire a hot dirty slut at the front desk, if that dosent bring in more import work at least u have a hot dirty slut at the front desk :noel:

Speaking of sluts, easiest way around here is to practically give a setup away to a hot chick, then everyone wants to copy her shit - and one-up her too. Average age tends to be a big factor too. There aren't many older people that will try impressing people with a Civic.

One thing about domestic prices - my friend has a built & boosted LS1/mustang with cost being equal to a mild b-series setup. :( Last time he fishtailed down the quarter in every gear on old street tires and did 11.7@127. He can get 8 forged pistons for almost the price of 4 CP's.

In the end, I'd vote you get your shop to sponsor a dirt-cheap 88-91 vitara build. Have your guys do a "domestic" port job on an A6 head, get a delta cam, custom length FJT rods, and a used holslut. Build the suspension and make decent HP, and it will practically run 10's itself :P
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 05:00:55 AM »

[/quote]

I could buy 20 cars tonight, and have places for them.  Just because your life is a disaster and you have your priorities all screwed up doesn't mean you're making any sense. 
[/quote]

this should be any car guys priority. right now i have less cars at my house in a while with 5, not including the snowmobile and streetbike. having a good car to show for, plus happy customers, and not being a douche cunt like the majority of import owners id say you would get your business when people need a shop to tune there rides. the problem is for you to know whos going to actually be a customer and whos goign to just leech/waste your time.
 im pretty sure business doesnt boom in the winter months so be patient as well(if your in a place that gets winter weather). but doesnt mean you shouldnt be getting prepared for the people wanting to be ready for spring.
rhmt for life

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 05:21:25 AM »

put a bisimoto sticker on the shop car
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

hatchboy

• my wife= hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.
  • Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 07:56:24 AM »

Have you tried advertising to the military crowd at all? I know that when i was in Pensecola, the base is all a training base, and its where people go pretty much straight out of boot camp so they are living in a barracks, with no bills and plenty of guaranteed money.

When i was there 60 percent of the guy's that lived in the barracks had imports and modified them. Nothing else to spend money on besides cars and boo's.

Most of the time they will pay for everything to be done for them since they don't have a garage and tools or anything and most don't know about the Auto Hobby shop on Corey station.

Just a thought..

chris

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »

Be smarter than everyone and back it up with numbers.

It's how the reputable people stay in business.  See: Tony1, Miller, Jeff Evans, ect.

Those guys probably have so many business loans its not even funny. Now most will say you have to go that route and most of the time they are correct but you don't need to go that far to be a success.

98vtec,

The vitara style build is really the only way the old school way of having a fast car that will get people on your dyno and doesnt require you to get a loan to make it happen.

The car is in a investment a small one at that compared to what you have in your prelude motor alone. Your prelude is hella nice but in this economy most people just don't want to spend the money even if they have it. Thats where building a dirty d really gets people excited.

11 sec cars thrown together with yesterdays garbage and 125 dollar pistons will get even the most jaded individual a smile. Not to mention you get the fame and I would be shocked if the car doesnt pay for itself in 2-3 months.

If I was in your boat I would be all over the d build. I'm not the type of guy who can handle most people in person asking me to many questions hence why Im a internet guy and most of my business is a result of used parts/engines.

bigwig

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »

Be smarter than everyone and back it up with numbers.

It's how the reputable people stay in business.  See: Tony1, Miller, Jeff Evans, ect.

I completely agree.  However, you cant provide numbers without clientelle.  Those guys are also very fortunate to be in the areas of the country they are in.  I've just got a lot to learn in this aspect of the business i guess.

Are you smart enough to pull that kind of clout?  When I say smart, I say if I turn to you with a question, are you going to be able to come up with the right answer?  Are you going to be able to come up with it quickly?  I know time and experience plays a huge role in this, but that's what it takes to be a successful person in the automotive industry.  If people trust you, they will use you as a contact around their whole build.  They will ask you where to get their engine built.  They will ask you what turbo setup to buy, and why.  They will ask what cam gears.  Ems.  ect ect ect.  Once you get in that position, you can contact distributors and get a piece of each order.  5-10% on $2000 where you just had to know the person to call and the right specs is not bad money on top of the $500 you'll get for tuning the car.

Areas of the country?  Go talk to any of those guys and I doubt they will say, "Dude, our location is soooo awesome.  That's why we do major business."  They know what they are talking about.  Even idiots appreciate a person who knows what they are talking about because in order for idiots to still be alive, they've learned how to realize who is smarter than them and latch on to them like a leach.

I'd say, find someone local, looking to do a major build.  Tell them you will help them in anyway, free of charge or for some low nominal fee, if they are willing to spread your name around the internet like wildfire.  If you do a good job, and the car makes good numbers, you will be forever attached to that car.  Do that 3-4 times, and you'll be set.

chris

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »

So build a 100k+ drag car and you too can be a sucess at business. Tell Bisi that ::)

Build a vitara build and bring in good blue collar guys who want a sub 12 sec street car. Again thats what most people want not a car with 15k+ wrapped up in a build.

AbaZ

• Out of retirement
  • Administrator
    • R-HMT
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »

Don't bother.  For th most part, imports are a low profit circus unless you're working on the newer or high end ones.

I don't think so.. you should see beaus shop, they work on everything. Imports are the bread and butter.

One of these days I'd like to open my own shop. But my balls are not big enough. Afraid of failure? yes Afraid of working 80 hours a week yes.

Rick P is like the borg. He comes in and sucks the life out of good web pages. - Anonymous

bigwig

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »

Who said $100k drag car?  I'm talking about a $6-$10k build.  Enough to make power where you get people's respect and want to replicate you, but not enough to where you are building ridiculous things where people think you're out of touch with the regular folk.

I have no issue with doing a Vitara build.  It is a solid idea.  Shit, buy D-series blocks, assemble them, and sell them to locals.  That's all good stuff.  I just think if you do budget brand bullshit all day, people are not going to think of you in the highest regard when someone with some money wants to have stuff done.

Phate

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 09:16:45 PM »

I have no issue with doing a Vitara build.  It is a solid idea.  Shit, buy D-series blocks, assemble them, and sell them to locals.  That's all good stuff.  I just think if you do budget brand bullshit all day, people are not going to think of you in the highest regard when someone with some money wants to have stuff done.

Ideally, with an effective budget build like a Vitara would be, you'd also do a less budget build, so you can give customers the impression "If you can do this much for me with so little, what can you do with a lot of money?"
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »

Budget build to get them in the door.

It gets the interest started, then the rep will grow.

Just because he does a dirty D, it don't limit him to the D alone. He has to get the interest and the reputation built to generate the traffic. Once he has that, he can build whatever he wants.

You can't see the trees because of the forest.

WPPF

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »

Who said $100k drag car?  I'm talking about a $6-$10k build.  Enough to make power where you get people's respect and want to replicate you, but not enough to where you are building ridiculous things where people think you're out of touch with the regular folk.

+1

You've got to prove you know what you're doing with people who are actually going to pay someone else to build a car correctly for them, not 19 year old internet racers who have been reading internet forums and want everything done as cheaply as possible because they saw it online.

nock

• pro... muther fuckin pro...
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »

build the D, paint it yellow, put an obscenely large graphic on the side, spend all your nights and weekends camped out across the street from the local porsche dealer.  ;D if you smoke one guy on a test drive, he will never forget it. try really hard not to get arrested because that will definitely fuck everything up, and probably get you fried. or you could be a normal person and go to the drag strip.

as for imports, i agree with all the above. try to work with people you like and try to only work on projects you like, things will go more smoothly, the leachs wont bleed you dry, and waste all your time. and remember the guy who knows what it takes and spends the money is more likely to tell people who did the work, the low budget leachs are just going to tell everybody they did all the shit them self.

as for parts, there will always be more money in domestic cars. the proformace market for them is bigger than any other, and there is lots of money to be made there. big import parts manufactures know this and most of them will push the cheapest shit they can. whether or not you want a piece of it is up to you.

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2010, 11:21:58 PM »

you guys fucking rock
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

chris

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2010, 11:41:50 PM »

You used people like t1 as an example and dont try to tell me that car doesnt have 100k+ into it over the years.

Budget bullshit=dyno time

He is a dyno guy. Dyno time is dyno time regardless of what it is. I run my own business/shop and have grown in this fucked up economy so I might know what the hell Im talking about,just maybe.

bigwig

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »

I'm not talking about their personal shop race cars.  I couldn't begin to guess how much they dump in their cars.  They get hookups from friends, they do their own crazy fab work, they can dyno tune all day making small changes, and they don't have to bill out any of that labor or necessarily pay real retail prices.  I used them in the beginning because I know if I call up any of those 3 people, they will be able to answer 95% of my questions right then and there based on experience and knowledge.  There are more people that fit in that criteria, but those are 3 that came to mind that are excellent examples of super knowledgeable guys that own shops.

I'm talking about going on a local race forum.  Find someone making a post saying "Hey, I have a '93 Honda Coupe and I'm looking for help on building a motor because I want to make 500whp."  If the person is legit, and has a job, and can actually afford the build, 98vtec can then contact them and say, "Hey, I'm from the area and I just started out in this shop.  I can help you out sponsoring the car, if you let me do the tuning and work together choosing the parts and building the car."  That way he isn't spending his money building the car, he just using his resources and knowledge to help build a nice car and in the end he will get a lot of the credit.

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »

I'm talking about going on a local race forum.  Find someone making a post saying "Hey, I have a '93 Honda Coupe and I'm looking for help on building a motor because I want to make 500whp."  If the person is legit, and has a job, and can actually afford the build, 98vtec can then contact them and say, "Hey, I'm from the area and I just started out in this shop.  I can help you out sponsoring the car, if you let me do the tuning and work together choosing the parts and building the car."  That way he isn't spending his money building the car, he just using his resources and knowledge to help build a nice car and in the end he will get a lot of the credit.

This.

Just be sure the person has deep wallets and is committed to completing the build. I can't count the amount of times I've helped people for free thinking that the build would get me lots of publicity once it was done only to find out the person sold the car or just doesn't want to finish it.

Either way, all this will take time. I'm talking years. Just ask Chris.
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 04:01:57 AM »

I'm going to talk to brad about it on monday just to see how he feels.  He's got a lot on his plate right now financially but i guess it doesnt hurt to try.  i KNOW i am going to have to finish my prelude first though.  That's my priority in regards to a shop car. 
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

chris

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 06:37:28 AM »

People will differ from my opinions but I am one of few left making a living doing this on their own,no family backing,no loans and no bullshit. Im not rich nor plan on being a 6 figure guy doing this. Im in my 20's and hope by the time Im in my mid 30's I will continue to grow regardless of what is going on outside my personal box.

Throwing all of your marbles into other peoples hands is a disaster waiting to happen especially being a dyno guy. You need to have something that is your personal vehicle that is hands down nasty.

Your the builder,driver,tuner and mechanic that is something that separates the men from the boys. I maybe a white dude from the slums but I can tell you this the only one who is going to make it is yourself not hoping guys you tune will make it out to the track 12+ times a year,videotape or give you copies of timeslips. That shit is on you and its that simple.

The vitara build in a hood 88-91 civic will bring in income and that is something most people in this field dream of.

nock

• pro... muther fuckin pro...
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »

This.

Just be sure the person has deep wallets and is committed to completing the build. I can't count the amount of times I've helped people for free thinking that the build would get me lots of publicity once it was done only to find out the person sold the car or just doesn't want to finish it.

Either way, all this will take time. I'm talking years. Just ask Chris.

this is sort of a crazy thought that may or may not apply here. alot of chassis/race engine builders that will out right sell stuff (not lease) make you sign a frist buy back option on the contract. this is basicly so they dont help out teams they dont want to, i guess its fairly common now. you could do the same thing, were you sign a contract that says i have done (X) to your care for free, and if i dont get the first buy option when you sell it, then i get to lean your title for (X). it wont guarantee he finishes it, nor will it guarantee that it sold with the same engine, but it stops him from selling the car without you knowing about it. it would make sure he is as married to you, as you are to him.

oops gayness, my bad
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:15:35 PM by nock »

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »

Don't bother.  For th most part, imports are a low profit circus unless you're working on the newer or high end ones.

I don't think so.. you should see beaus shop, they work on everything. Imports are the bread and butter.

You should come to WNC, it's not like that here.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »

Keep a few of these in stock and the import kids will never leave

That bitch is 10 inches tall nigga!!!
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »

People will differ from my opinions but I am one of few left making a living doing this on their own,no family backing,no loans and no bullshit. Im not rich nor plan on being a 6 figure guy doing this. Im in my 20's and hope by the time Im in my mid 30's I will continue to grow regardless of what is going on outside my personal box.

Throwing all of your marbles into other peoples hands is a disaster waiting to happen especially being a dyno guy. You need to have something that is your personal vehicle that is hands down nasty.

Your the builder,driver,tuner and mechanic that is something that separates the men from the boys. I maybe a white dude from the slums but I can tell you this the only one who is going to make it is yourself not hoping guys you tune will make it out to the track 12+ times a year,videotape or give you copies of timeslips. That shit is on you and its that simple.

The vitara build in a hood 88-91 civic will bring in income and that is something most people in this field dream of.

well the nasty part i think i am going to have covered with the prelude even though it is all motor.  And yea i definitely get what you are saying about leaving it in the customers hands.  I've already learned how reliable that can be...or lack there of.  I'm 25 and i still live with my parents.  Thats fucking sad.  If i would have done better in school and actually cared about the degree i was graduating with, i wouldnt be in the situation i am in right now.  But i have never seen myself doing anything different than making shit go fast so i am going to do my damnedest to make this work out.  If not, i will have to get a job that i hate like 3/4 of the people with jobs.

The only reason i am not building the race motor is because i wanted to give back to the guy who has taught me so much throughout the years.  I figure this way, i can learn even more as he will talk me through his process and what all he is doing.  not to mention i get to feel really good about keeping him in business and tagging his name to a motor thats going to make a LOT of power.

anyway, enough with the bullshit vagina talk.

In the forum i sponsor, i just offered a free tune to anyone with Nistune (just for allowing me to use the software and gain some experience) since we have a lot of nissan guys around this areas and im not sure of anyone around here that does that.  I have been in contact with Matt @ Nistune and the programming is pretty similar to ectune..etc and the daughter boards are damn easy to install onto the board.  Hopefully someone bites.  Don't really care about making the money as hopefully that will come as people come through the door.

Thanks to everyone for helping out  :mexi:
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »

well the nasty part i think i am going to have covered with the prelude even though it is all motor. 

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »

well the nasty part i think i am going to have covered with the prelude even though it is all motor. 

FUCK YOU
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2010, 04:21:45 PM »

I can see an H-motor making some nice NA power, but I cannot see it revealing said power in a BB chassis.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2010, 04:34:30 PM »

I can see an H-motor making some nice NA power, but I cannot see it revealing said power in a BB chassis.

how about the possibility of a high 11, low 12 sec pass  :)
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »

how about the possibility of a high 11, low 12 sec pass  :)

With or without a 100-150 shot?

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »

no bottle.  I see no reason that my car wont be a second or more faster with 80+more whp, better gearing, and more traction/suspension
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2010, 02:02:27 AM »

i am probably going to add a direct port to it though for shits and giggles.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up