:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compressor Help - Tank is Overpressurizing  (Read 1477 times)

bigwig

Compressor Help - Tank is Overpressurizing
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »

My cheapy 8 gallon 2hp HF air compressor is giving me a bit of a problem and I was wondering if anyone could confirm my thoughts.

Issue: Compressor is building too much pressure and causing an endless cycle of building pressure and having the release valve release it all.  It is supposed to only build about 115-120psi.  The compressor gets to about 130psi and the pressure release valve opens up and drops it back down to 80psi.  It then repressures to 130psi and drops down to 80psi.

Thoughts:
1. Replace the brass pressure release valve.  I don't think this is actually the issue as it is supposed to release the pressure above 130psi according the valve.

2. Replace the switch because something is wrong with the sucker not kicking off at 120psi like it should.

3. I should take off the switch and crap and check for debris since I never installed an inline filter and there is something in the way causing the switch not to work properly.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: Compressor Help - Tank is Overpressurizing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »

If that doesn't solve it

There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Avistar23

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »

If that doesn't solve it

Agreed
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II CE9A -- Holset powered

F250 4x4 7.3 Diesel

International 4900 DT 466E
Freightliner Fl115 M11 CelectPlus

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »

Take the cover off the switch and adjust it till it kicks off at whatever pressure you want.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »

Not sure if its cold where the compressor is, but a couple weeks ago went to use our gasoline powered compressor mounted on the service truck, a bit of condensation was frozen in the line to the pressure switch and it did the same thing.   Warmed it up and it worked like normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up