:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D16 Cable: Big bearing shit in small bearing case?  (Read 4639 times)

theidealone

D16 Cable: Big bearing shit in small bearing case?
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:31:25 PM »

So I fucked my diff and case up (89-91 SI), and now I need a tranny. I have an old HF small bearing case and diff sitting around. Can I use all of the parts out of my SI, with the small bearing diff and case?

-Will the main and countershafts fit?
-Will the FD from the big bearing, fit on the small bearing diff?
-Can I use the input shaft bearings and other bearings from the SI tranny, into the small bearing tranny?

What are the differences between the two trannies, other than the 35mm and 40mm?

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
Re: D16 Cable: Big bearing shit in small bearing case?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »

It can be done, but not easily.

You will need to use the three outer HF bearings onto the Si stacks. Then swap the ring gear, LH bolts. Then you'll need to shim the mainshaft.

About a two hour job including doing a proper cleaning........but I've done quite a few of these.

If you just have the HF case and not the shafts...not gonna work.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

theidealone

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »

Thanks for the reply Bone! Been waiting for ya. :D

Ok, so just to clarify... I need to use ALL HF bearings. The two from the counter shaft, and the one from the mainshaft, but I can swap the gears over, right? And do I need to use the input shaft bearing from the HF? (That's the only thing that got fucked in the HF was first gear and the input bearing. I used this tranny to rob 5th)

So do I need to use the main and counter shafts from the HF? Or can I keep my gears on the SI shafts?

What I'm getting from this, is the ONLY thing I can keep from the SI is the gears and final drive (which, if I'm using that final, I need to keep the counter shaft from the SI, right?). Otherwise, I need to use the mainshaft and all bearings from the HF.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

I am pretty sure that all you have to worry about is the bearings.  IIRC the CS and MS share the same overall  dimensions.

So basically:
Keep your Si MS and CS.
Swap the Si rong gear onto the Hf diff.
Use the outer bearing on both shafts from the Hf case.

theidealone

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »

Ok, ok. That makes sense. Sorry. Thanks for the reply.

I did some research on bearings, because I wasnt sure about what were "outer bearings". Found that the needle bearing that the counter shaft goes into (sits in the differential side of the housing), ball bearing that the main/input shaft goes into (also on the diff side of the housing), and the ball bearing that sits on top of the main shaft all have different part numbers and dimensions.

So basically, I am going to be using everything from the HF tranny, minus the counter shaft, and the main shaft with all of the gears intact.

Thanks for all of the help!

Oh. And are there any pros or cons to using the small bearing vs. the big bearing?

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »

Has the HF tranny been taken apart yet????

did it have the 1mm spacer on the mainshaft or not???

You WILL have to shim the mainshaft.

theidealone

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:12:33 AM »

Yea, HF tranny has been taken apart. It did have a thick ass washer on the mainshaft with the spring washer. Is that what you were referring too?

By shimming the mainshaft, are you referring to the C-clip in the outer case, or just a thicker washer with the spring washer? And how much shimming do you think?

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »

You will need the 1mm washer when dropping in the Si gearstacks.

Countershaft has C Clip and no shims, the mainshaft has the shim. You will need to shim as needed to get proper clearance, Clarence. RTFM :)

theidealone

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »

:( Turns out Im retarded. I went to actually LOOK at my tranny today... And found that where the input shaft comes out (the tube like protrusion from the case, that the throwout goes around) is completely fucked, and mostly missing. So Im just gonna end up buying an SI tranny locally for 50 bucks... Oh well. Its about as cheap as buying the bearing, shim, and seals anyways. And I have enough parts for a big bearing.

theidealone

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »

Alright, fuck, I was given a good small bearing tranny. So Im throwing a welded diff and my SI gears in it after all... But I need some guidance. Im not sure on how to measure the clearance for the shim on the mainshaft.

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?t=284236
I read this^ write up that says to take out the shim and the oil guide, put the main shaft in with the bearing on it, and measure the clearance with a feeler gauge and straight edge. He shows a picture of doing so without the thrust or 1mm washer. Is this correct? Measure the clearance on both ends, and A+B-.95= Shim? Im sure I will find out when I go to do it, but Im about to go use my dad's straight edge and then head straight to Honda to order/buy the shim. So I just want to make sure...

Oh, another question. The small bearing oil guide is different from the big bearing oil guide. It looks like the difference is that the big bearing main shaft has a bigger hole, and the small bearing main shaft has a smaller hole. So the center of the oil guide is smaller on one, than the other. Does it matter which one I use?

And just another run down on what Im doing here, to make sure I have it right...

-I am using the main and counter shaft out of my SI, with the gears from the SI (minus the HF 5th),
-The final drive from the SI swapped onto the small bearing diff,
-Small bearing diff bearings (obviously)
-Small bearing diff speedo gear and VSS
-Small bearing needle and ball bearings that go in the clutch side of the housing,
-Small bearing ball bearing that goes on top of the SI main shaft,
-Big bearing ball bearings that came on the countershaft (within the shaft, under the locking nut),
-Small bearing reverse, gear selector, shift forks, etc.

Anything else Im missing? See anything wrong with this?

Im gonna check the thread from my phone before I go buy the shim, so hopefully someone has some input (BONE!!!), before I get that far! :D

Thanks!

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »

if you are just swapping gears there is no need to re-shim anything.

also, the shims that you would be buying if you needed some wouldnt be in stock.  unless you live by the honda ware house which im pretty sure is in california.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:19:47 PM by danz »
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »

MUST USE the small bearing countershaft bearings or else the case will not go together.

If you force it you will either crack the case or the outer race.

You WILL need to shim, but don't follow those instructions.

If you have read on here, .008-.010" case gap with only the mainshaft and all shims and washers in proper location.

theidealone

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 02:18:39 AM »

God damn it Bone. LOL. I tried to put it together before you posted. Im fuckin lucky I got it back apart. The counter shaft got stuck, and ended up fucking both bearings. LOL. So Im going to my dad's tomorrow to use the compressor and air impact so I can swap those bearings.

Case got stuck, and I ended up having to pull 2 10mm bolts for the reverse with a box end wrench, then cock the case enough to get a swivel in to remove that 12mm out of the gear selector. Holy shit I could have had a heart attack trying to get that fucking thing out of there. Once I did, I tried to put the counter back in the upper case. Got the first bearing in with some persuasion just fine, but the second is going no where. Took the original counter shaft and got it to go in with some lovin. So I figured I would swap bearings.

Anything else Im missing????

And ok. Just to be clear. I need to put the mainshaft in with the thrust, washer, oil guide, and shim in place, push the case back together, and see how much gap is in between the case "flanges"? I decided to just use the mainshaft, syncros, washers, and shim out of the small bearing tranny, to avoid shimming. Is that accurate to assume I shouldnt have to worry about the shim, if Im keeping everything but the gears themselves?

Thanks Bone.

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »

the second bearing is about .0025-.003" bigger on the EX/Si countershaft, just enough to get lodged.

Use the mainshaft FULLY ASSEMBLED along with all shims/spacers.oil plate/thrust washers in place.

You are looking for .008-.010" preload on the mainshaft, hence the case gap.

If you were to follow the manual and check the "pull" on the mainshaft, all you are checking is the crush of the spring washer. The specs are .004-.007" pull from the clutch side.

theidealone

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 03:19:05 AM »

Perfect. Thanks Bone. I actually dont have a manual, so Im just going off of write-ups and whatever I can find online. I should probably torrent something...

I'll try and get those bearings swapped in the morning, and check the clearance on the mainshaft, and get back to this thread tomorrow.

Thanks again!

theidealone

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 01:30:25 AM »

THANKS BONE!!!
Finally just assembled the case, it went together MUCH more smoothly. Rotates freely, shifts clean, I feel very accomplished.

I appreciate all of the help. Thanks to everyone.

theidealone

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 01:45:32 AM »

So I have an issue. I finally got the shift linkage hooked up, and went to shift through the gears (car isnt running yet, just bench shifting so to speak)... And I cant find reverse. 1-4 are smooth, 5th takes a little effort, but goes in just fine, but reverse is like hitting a wall. Pretty much like hitting reverse lock out. I tried going from any gear into reverse, and it just isnt happening.

I cant seem to think of any reason why it wouldnt have reverse, unless during assembly, I messed up the reverse lock out. Anybody have any ideas? Any chance this might rotate or vibrate loose, and be ok once I take it for a spin? (Itll be a few more weeks before that). I just dont want to pull the tranny back out. :( Especially if I have no idea on where to start with it. :(

So any input would be great. Thanks.

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 02:52:38 AM »

did you use a 4 speed case and lockout?????

theidealone

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »

Naw, just went and looked at the gears that came out of it to double check. Its a 5 speed tranny case. I swapped the diff and gears, and left the rest in there, including the shift forks.

theidealone

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »

???
Pages: [1]   Go Up