:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E85 and smog exempt status  (Read 3118 times)

enikolayev

E85 and smog exempt status
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

Is this true and how does it work?

Everyone knows Cali smog laws are gay

having a street legal turbo would be sweet

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
Re: E85 and smog exempt status
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

Here in NC, I know that a car that is only powered by propane is exempt, but E85 is not.  Thats here, cant speak for anywhere else.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

enikolayev

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:23:19 PM »

So in NC, if you show them your car is powered by propane do they let you off for as long as you own the car, or are there periodic inspections that you still have to go through?

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »

So in NC, if you show them your car is powered by propane do they let you off for as long as you own the car, or are there periodic inspections that you still have to go through?

You still have to get your inspection, but you dont need a cat, and they cant fail you for emissions equipment working/not working.

enikolayev

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »

How would they treat a turbo on your car?

5thgenlx

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20:25 PM »

why would you run on e85 anyways its shit

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »

115 octane
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »

115 octane

And runs about as much as premium pumpgas when you figure out dollar per mpg.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

115 octane

And runs about as much as premium pumpgas when you figure out dollar per mpg.

I think it got up to $2.30 max during the gas crisis last year.  Not bad for a street legal race fuel. I think its hovering around $1.70 per/gal right now. 

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »

I have heard rumors that it is coming to my part of Canada this summer, might actually build something that is boosted and not diesel.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:14:44 PM »

no one mentions the fact that you use more e85 to get the same about of energy... as gas

so you're going to use more to go the same distance, and you're going to have to spray more into your engine to get the same power.

and 85 is heavily subsidized, it actually costs more than gas. you're just making other people pay for it.

fuck e85
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

BoostForLife

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 03:25:10 PM »

Emission in WA are easy to pass.
We don't require visual, but sniffer is required for 1995 and older.
My 1994 del sol with a b18b1, t3/t4, 2.5" exhaust, no cat passed with flying colors.
I had to pop my hood cause my cig outlet wasn't working all the staff there stared at the motor for like 2 minutes.

The trick to passing is running your tank to almost empty, then fill up almost a gallon of 99% rubbing alcohol to about 1/8 of a tank of gas. You can get the alcohol for like $2 a pint at any safeway or pharmacy. Let the alcohol get into the system and pass emission. That's how I've done for all my cars when taking to emission.

My brother has a 2001 gsr that just got built and converted to OBD1. There's no way he could of passed emission, so we found a local dealer that got us new registration and tabs at a decent fee.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:12:31 PM »

no one mentions the fact that you use more e85 to get the same about of energy... as gas

so you're going to use more to go the same distance, and you're going to have to spray more into your engine to get the same power.

and 85 is heavily subsidized, it actually costs more than gas. you're just making other people pay for it.

fuck e85

Actually you are correct.  Some combinations could require up to 70% more fuel to maintain the same a/f ratio as a gasoline engine. 

For the average everyday joe driving to work is it worth it?  Absolutely not.  To the homebrew backyard redneck racer? Completely.  For a low-budget street car to shift up the knock limit (and gain a bit of combustion chamber cooling in the process) its perfect.  Does it replace race gas?  Hell no.  But its a damn nice substitute for us poor folks who have no plans of pushing any 1000+ hp limits with our street cars, and dont plan on joining idiots who push the knock limits on pump gas. 

Thanks for paying for my cheap e85.  I really do appreciate it.  :)

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:29:28 PM »

its awesome here in wi, there is like 4 ethanol plants within 50 mi. probably 20% of stations have e85
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »

Emission in WA are easy to pass.
We don't require visual, but sniffer is required for 1995 and older.
there are NO emission tests whatsoever in SE WA. but im sure that will only last a couple more years...
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 04:50:32 AM »

fuck e85

If I had a choice between E85, which is around 104 oct, and 104 oct leaded gasoline, I'd still probably go with E85. It will burn cooler, the extra you have to spray also helps that, and it burns cleaner with less soot. I've talked to Tony1 about it, and he generally sees ~8% power gains for the same boost level when using E85 over 93oct. You're using more fuel, but you end up with a higher power ceiling. You also can end up with better milage per dollar, since you can also use more timing. FYI using a normal engine with E85, even 10:1 CR, is like running an NA 7:1 engine with gasoline. You get a whole lot extra if you run the extra compression.

FYI The EPA considers it illegal to modify a gasoline engine to run on E85, at least for road usage. To be legal, it must be a EPA-certified kit that gets installed. Propane injection is a whole different story, since it burns very cleanly.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

enikolayev

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »

Ok that's the info i was looking for. Do you know if they charge you up the butt for one of those kits?
Pages: [1]   Go Up