:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kinda a new idea  (Read 4552 times)

shanerv

kinda a new idea
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »

I got a audi the other day with a blown motor (headgasket and hydro locked)
but came across the numbers on the sizes and looks like the 1.8t pistons in the awm block are 81mm with a 21mm wrist pin. I hear they are forged mahle from the factory so they should be pretty strong. just wondering if anybodyy has used them before on a b18 or b16 build for budget boost? any ideas? thinking about a project for on the cheap

jabberwock

Re: kinda a new idea
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2666114#29936681

Search the page for "wrist"  I don't know shit about VW's but that seems to indicate 20 or 19mm pins.  Also measure pin center to top of the piston...

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »

ya compression height is gonna be key.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »

ya compression height is gonna be key.

Wiseco lists it as a 32.71mm.... for those that dont remember off there head, BVTEC is 30mm.

would also like to point out that a 1.8T VW/Audi is a 20v motor (5v a cylinder) valve reliefs would be odd (if any?)

also like to note that all is not lost... you can use B16A rods on a LS crank... so by my zealautowerks.com calculator math real quick, that looks legit... and B16A rods are stronger than LS?....
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »

thought the same thing problem is a b18 slug is wayy loose ptw in a audi and it takes a hammer to put a audi slug in a honda or was it the other way around idk i am drunk but i thought about it and it wouldnt work.

even though there 5v they dont have valve reliefs in them

but tried the whole piston swap thing when i had an LS and a 1.8t and one slug went in with a hammer and one dropped all the way down with no resistance so yup
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

shanerv

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

thought the same thing problem is a b18 slug is wayy loose ptw in a audi and it takes a hammer to put a audi slug in a honda or was it the other way around idk i am drunk but i thought about it and it wouldnt work.

even though there 5v they dont have valve reliefs in them

but tried the whole piston swap thing when i had an LS and a 1.8t and one slug went in with a hammer and one dropped all the way down with no resistance so yup

I forget the exact write pin mm. but I remember i thought it was the same as one of the b series might be 19 like you mentioned . and yes they are a 5v motor. actually the reliefs should work as there is just one extra cut in the back for the 3rd exhaust valve. not really sure if the 16 rods are stronger. I know the ls ones are known to hold down like 400whp.

I don't know just sounded like a pretty cheap and effective budget 400whp motor for next to nothing. got plans for a little hatch me and a few bros are going in on

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »

When I had my lsvtec I was looking at all kinds of pistons even the 7mgte( dont recall bore size). What size are sr20, ka, 4g63, 7mgte, ect. The next issue is what size are the wrist pins...

Why cant they just make a bigger vitara :P
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »

What about brass bushings pressed into the pistons to accept the Honda pin?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »

What about brass bushings pressed into the pistons to accept the Honda pin?

brass pressed into the piston? never heard of that before i was thinking some custom machined oczc rods yeahh
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »

It's done for rods, why not the piston? You could also press them onto the pins. That might be better so you aren't stressing the piston on top of combustion.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »

It's done for rods, why not the piston? You could also press them onto the pins. That might be better so you aren't stressing the piston on top of combustion.

The coefficient of thermal expansion for aluminum is way higher than it is for steel, and probably significantly higher than brass or bronze.  Keeping the bushing inserts in the piston would become an issue unless a ridiculous interference fit were to be used for the bushings.  Couple that with the higher likelihood of machining errors due to more machining operations, and it just doesn't seem all that appealing.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »

The coefficient of thermal expansion for aluminum is way higher than it is for steel, and probably significantly higher than brass or bronze.  Keeping the bushing inserts in the piston would become an issue unless a ridiculous interference fit were to be used for the bushings.  Couple that with the higher likelihood of machining errors due to more machining operations, and it just doesn't seem all that appealing.

it would cost more to get these pistons machined and fit into a honda than its worth. Just buy fucking supertechs there cheap hold power best of all fit

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »

I was just throwing out an option, vitaras work in my block of choice.
obd1>gtgtall

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »

I was just throwing out an option, vitaras work in my block of choice.

+1

shanerv

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »

the rods would have to be bushed since the audi pistions are full floating. but thats not a big deals gus have been doing that with ls rods and vitaras for years now.

Tom@OCZCTuning

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »

Ive already got some OCZC rods machined for these pistons. Just testing them out in a few customers cars. Already made over 450whp on low boost setups. Keep an eye out in the fs section in the next few weeks as we are going to be putting them out on the market soon!
Im The One and Only Tom @ OCZC TUNING!

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »

Nice to hear tom. I cant wate to get a set and put them in my extra motor.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437
Pages: [1]   Go Up