:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asking a few gauge questions for a buddy of mine.  (Read 2015 times)

NoPistons!

Asking a few gauge questions for a buddy of mine.
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »

As this dude keeps throwing money at his dirty d we keep finding things on the cheap that we want.  Did the 5 speed swap and he has no tach... friend was going to include that with the swap but figured he'd just keep it in his car.  Problem solved by my buddy ordering a $55 a 4 in 1 tach i installed a few hours ago for beer and food money.   All pro like with heat shrink and whatnot using the automatic's "hey, look tach signal" wire by the brake master" and patching into fuseable links.  It came with an oil pressure sending unit, coolant temp and oil temp.     We figured since boost is in the near future (just priced out his bottom end, arp studs and head gasket last night, will be grabbing turbo bits in a couple weeks at wreckers) we'd like to have these working.  I haven't hooked those items up yet.

Did you guys just use your stock senders or tap in with a T fitting?   Trying to look through google to find the right thread pitches for the stock sensors so we have something to go off of tomorrow but have only found vendor links and bullshit that has nothing to do with installing aftermarket gauge senders or pitch size to T off of factory sender ports.   

Thanks in advance motherfuckers.

P.S.  It feels nostalgic to be working on hondas again.  Been about 10 years....

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
Re: Asking a few gauge questions for a buddy of mine.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »

A long time ago I bought some BSPT adapters to do the rest in NPT. Also got a BSPT tap and put the stock sender onto the brass Tee I used as an oil block.

Next time I do a Honda block, I'm tossing the dummy light sender away. Then drilling & tapping the hole to 1/4" NPT with lots of lithium or axle grease (to hold the shavings). Then using a brass Tee, braced to the manifold or knock sensor spot.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »

Most part stores sell metric to npt adapter kits for like 5 to $15.  :noel:

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:29:29 AM »

They take up space and the stock hole is 1/8" size. I'm talking 1/4" size.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

JaredKaragen

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »

I keep a 1/8 NPT tap on me.

If the head has a port on the side, I usually use this as my oil feed.  if I have to go into the back of the block, I take the oil filter off, have a contraption of hoses to hook to the oil out (heading to the oem sender) and remove the oem sender.   I plumb 10PSI regulated to the oil port as to keep derbis from going into the oil system.   Then just get the good ol tap and tap her out to 1/8 NPT... doesn't take long.

This is best done with then engine disassembled;  Every time I build a motor I tap out the NPST ports to NPT.  This makes life less complicated when installing a turbo kit.

Using a T off the block is fine as long as it clears everything and doesnt have a chance of hitting something or something hitting it and snapping the threads off in the block.

This is the Z6 port location I use.

On a P72 head you can see the OEM port plug at the lower left of the head.  Just above the engine stand bolt.

Whichever port you use;  just use a port if available with 10PSI to keep shavings out of the motor while tapping the threads.

If you try and cram a 1/8NPT fitting into the OEM 1/8NPST, you will only get 2-3 threads of contact;  the NPST is a more tapered thread then an NPT.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:36:06 AM by JaredKaragen »

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »

actually its mostly 27 threads per inch vs 28, but we're not counting that :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up