:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: how to log a obd1 bmw with a plx?  (Read 7266 times)

FreshDA9

how to log a obd1 bmw with a plx?
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »

Ok a customer of mine purchased a miller WAR chip finally and i have been talking with Brody at miller and Tim at PLX. I have a PLX M300TE wideband with usb logger adapter.
My issue is i dont know how i am going to log RPM or Maf voltage with what i have.

I found this first link here.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360474
read threw this but its mainly for OBD-2 logging PLX said
Unfortunately at this point, we do not have a solution for you. We do have our R&D team looking into a SM-RPM/Speed, but we do not have any launch date set for this product. If your vehicle was OBD II, you could have pulled RPM from your ECU, but for OBD I vehicles, we do not have that option.
so Brody also told me to check their forums for a link about tuning aid development. witch is this link.
http://www.millerperformancecars.com/tech-forum.html?func=view&catid=46&id=437
i emailed the OP in that and also thank you for the help by the way. but i dont think its gonna work and i looked into the zeitronix and their site says
Supports Air/Fuel ratio as AFR/Lambda, plus RPM, Vacuum, Boost, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Throttle Position, 0-5 volt sensors, and Air/Fluid temperature sensors.
so the rpm is built in with their wideband?

So the question is what do i do now?? there is no real time logging so will i have to look at the af vs the rpm in the dyno run and judge the table?

Also info on the car is 95 3 series (cant remember witch 1) swapped S52B32, vortec supercharged.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:58:32 PM by FreshDA9 »
"quotquot"quotquotBuy your own pants, Get your hands outta mine!"quotquot"quotquot

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
Re: how to log a obd1 bmw with a plx?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »

I was able to log 413/506 DME with a LM-2, I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to ask... you can tap right into all the wiring at the DME end of the harness for everything including RPM, no need for a pickup or anything fancy.
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

FreshDA9

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

i was gonna use the plx software or the zeitronix software to log off my plx. miller war doesnt support logging in their sytem. so how can i log rpm or maf volts into the plx or zeitronix software??? the guy keeps pushing me to tune it and i keep telling him hold on (its getting so annoying). i got this on bimmer forums and a few other sites but not getting much response so i know RHMT would have some help for me.
"quotquot"quotquotBuy your own pants, Get your hands outta mine!"quotquot"quotquot

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »

The M-300TE is an M-300 in a metal case with a gay rotory knob so you can change AFRs to suit different fuels.  There is no logging capability.  You also mention Zeitronix, but I have no idea what unit.

What "USB logger adapter" do you have? 

Your problem is you need something to log with.... and?

FreshDA9

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »

i have the SMf usb adapter from PLX. i feel im pretty much dead in the water.

FreshDA9

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »

Also i know the dynojet will overlay the hp tq a/f over the rpm but i guess im just trying to figure out how im going to know what part of the table i will be in if i cant see the maf voltage etc?

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »

some multimeters can record voltage over a certain amount of time.  Im not sure how long, but that might be something that can help you.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »

i have the SMf usb adapter from PLX. i feel im pretty much dead in the water.

You mean you have the iMFD SM to USB adapter.  That's great, but useless for what you are doing.  You can log your wideband via that, and mix in boost/EGT/temp/etc by plugging in those expandable modules into the serial chain, but the only thing that supports an RPM pickup is the DM-100/200 stuff from an OBD2 port, or an R-series wideband.  First you can't use, the second is dollars.

I recommend you get one of these:

http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=141

You can run MAF, RPM, and wideband in through it and log using Innovate's Logworks software.  That's your bang for the buck.

FreshDA9

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:32:44 PM »

Thank you JD im going to look into that. tomorrow after my day job ill look over innovative's pdf manuals on the product. so ill have to splice into the inputs using t taps and so forth. looks like ima be buying it in a few days thanks guys.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »

Don't forget to ground it, and the wideband, adjacent to the ECU's logic ground - should be on the intake manifold.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 02:22:54 AM »

yup, just go ahead and ground it to the plastic intake manifold   O0

do you have an ostrich? with the 2.0 and free tunerpro software you can watch what tables you are hitting in the maps, LIVE, for free

I'm not sure what the miller chip does, but I would absolutely love for you to video a little bit of you using it? Thanks!

FreshDA9

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 06:35:21 AM »

I have an Ostrich 1 so i cant log in tuner pro with it. i wasnt to familiar with the bmw tunerpro thing and he said he would buy me the ostrich 2 but i told him no cause i dont want to have a new ostrich and him still not have a correctly running car. he had 3 different Dinan chips in it at $500 a chip and they all failed. i did have a tunerpro map start it but i couldnt log anything because of me haveing pstrich 1. so after talking he decided to go War chip problem is there is no logging for their software yopu cant even have the laptop pluged into the war or the car will die (something the rigged up at the miller factory for some dumb reason). ill take some video and pics as i go for ya.

FreshDA9

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:53:39 PM »

alright ordered that SSI-4 hope all works. ill let you guys know.

also how do you record yourself using the software. i could ghetto it with a camera but i wanna know what others are doing aswell. but there isnt much to the miller stuff anyways.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »

Download Logworks and poke at it.

FreshDA9

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »

i know that but i was talking about recording myself using both software's. seen some youtube videos like this i know how to post screen shots but dont know how to do video like of my screen shots if not i might just   O0 rig something with my cell phone camera.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

something like CamStudio or other entirely free software lets you record your screen... what DME is this guy on? What are his issues?

FreshDA9

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »

Sorry i havent been on in a while seen the forum was down for a few days.

Bosch DME
0-261-200-413    078
95 3 series i beleave DME

Car
99 3.2 swap (S52B32)
Vortec blower
RC 330cc injectors
Dinan tronics 9 maf extender

After talking to you before and all the info from bimmer forums i was told to have him remove the Maf translator and ews and upgrade his maf to a 540i or Porsche 803. Well he did none of this and a guy on bimmerforums made me a start map that worked great but we had no way to log it ( also since he didnt do as we said we kinda wanted to stay away from this car).

SO months go by he calls me and is saying how he is gonna have dinan try tuning it again (also tried to blame me for a missing Dinan chip witch he found :noel:)
I tell him i cant log anything he says he would buy me the Ostrich 2.0 i said no because i dont want something and still not be able to tune the car properly. so he asked me if there was anything he could look into. so i pointed him towards the war chip witch still doesnt have datalogging (witch this program needs some upgrading so it can). He calls me back after talking to Brody and tells me that he ordered the war chip and that Brody told him to take off the Maf translator and disable the ews and said in the future to upgrade the maf to an 803. so yea i was a little pissed he didnt do it as i told him to.

Witch brings me to this thread post as i am looking for a solid way to log some features and make adjustments to the WAR. I did receive my SSI-4 but i need to read over the installation more and looks like i need to look into some bmw wiring to tap into for Maf and Rpm. Thank you guys by the way!  ;)

FreshDA9

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »

O and i did upload Brody base file for his car to the war chip and it idles and revs great the customer was supposed to take it for a small ride but he hasnt called me in over a week to let me know.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »

making the car run great on 330cc injectors should be a joke as those are pretty small... hell you could probably get away with barely changing the stock 413 maps for the fueling outside of injector constant and voltage corrections, and as far as going from the stock 2.5 to the 3.2, you can use the various S50 tunes floating around for what the timing curve should look like with those cams vs what it looks like with the M50s and bullshit your way into a pretty good basemap if you have any issues... I sent someone on bf.c a basemap for an S52 that afaik worked out alright and that's pretty much how I did it.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »

More action, less posting, or this thread goes away.

FreshDA9

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »

I agree i think the injectors are to small and i told him this but basically its gonna be a work with what you have tune. JD dont worry i should have some feedback Tuesday as when ill be meeting with him and trying out the SSI-4 and the smf to usb adapter. i will post some results as well as pics of the car. now i need to do some searching on where the ecu logic ground are and witch wires to tap into for the maf and rpm pickup (BoostedSchemes any help here by chance, any links?).

:)

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »

What is an smf to USB adapter? 

FreshDA9

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »

What is an smf to USB adapter? 

sorry ment to say iMFD SM to USB adapter

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »

here buddy ill dump some bmw tuning stuff for ya and then i need to amscray from rhmt for a while im useless
anyways, if you cant tune the shit out of an obd1 bimmer with whats in this rar its because you are a dick
wiring and the like is in the pdfs...

http://www.mediafire.com/?dmk0mjojyzu

FreshDA9

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 10:50:06 PM »

damn dude that is alot of help thanks man!!!

FreshDA9

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »

well now my plx doesnt like any of the software. i didnt have much time to mess with the SSI-4. so the iMFD SM to USB adapter doesnt seem to be working on either RX or TX on either PLX Digital dash 2.2 or Logworks 3. im getting ready to email PLX but i seem to get best results from RHMT.

I have it on Port 5 latency is to 1 and i have tried different Baud rates and still nothing. also i have tried with and without the termination jumper.

Screenshot of Logworks

also tried the lm1 log nothing again.  ???

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »

It's pretty obvious that Logworks won't support the PLX unit.  I've never used PLX serial gear to be able to comment on that.

Use Logworks3 with the SSI-4.  Use the SSI-4 to log MAF, RPM, and the PLX's analog output.

FreshDA9

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »

It's pretty obvious that Logworks won't support the PLX unit.  I've never used PLX serial gear to be able to comment on that.

Use Logworks3 with the SSI-4.  Use the SSI-4 to log MAF, RPM, and the PLX's analog output.

Will do ill try again next tuesday. let you guys know. also awaiting plx to respond to my email about there stupid loging software.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »

in to follow this. i will be tuning my own BMW in the somewhat near future
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »

(something the rigged up at the miller factory for some dumb reason).

Lulz at "miller factory".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up