:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: external coil installed, now jumpy tach  (Read 7830 times)

DmC

• Certified OG
Re: external coil installed, now jumpy tach
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »

Toyota igniter is falling edge trigger.

It also controls coil dwell internally. It'll work, but you need an RTL inverter in the trigger input, since the honda is rising edge trigger.
Man I'm glad you posted that up I was on my way out the door to the junkyard.

It also controls coil dwell internally. It'll work, but you need an RTL inverter in the trigger input, since the honda is rising edge trigger.

Now I feel stupid.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »

Looks like I will orderone from napa today and report back
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »

Now I feel stupid.

numerator goes on top :D

no big deal really, as i said they can work with the honda ECU just fine. i ran the stock igniter on my MR2 with the honda ECU for a couple years. i only switched to the honda piece because 1. it simplified the wiring and 2. after years of thinking it was blown up, i finally tested the correct pins and confirmed that it was fine all along.

anyway, $3 in parts and it works fine. i've thought about the possibility of running a pair of them in parallel, with a debounced switch cutting off the trigger signal to one of them when you're at low load, then turning the second one on at high load/boost. i want to say it charges to about 6A, but if you're running a hot coil, a pair of them could conceivably charge to 12A, and you're only beating on the coil when you need it.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »

so, NAPA ignitor installed and tach is smooth. you guys suck. lol.

also JD, remember that damn miss at the vtec point i talked to you about months ago? it seems to have cleared that up too. this engine wanted a lot of timing when tuned, the distributor is maxed out so i think im going to bump the cam a degree or two. if i remember right the cam was advanced just a bit more than stock so all should be well after that. it pulls all the way to redline now and it hasnt done that in a long time and advancing the distributor kept making it get better till i hit the stop.

hopefully i can align the moons just as they were when it was tuned originally cause i really liked the tune that was on it and dont want to have to start from scratch since this was a sewell ectune tune and i only have access to crome
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 08:09:17 PM »

so, NAPA ignitor installed and tach is smooth. you guys suck. lol.

No, you deserve a measure of hell.  Not to be an elitist dick, but you NEED to learn more electronics to do what you do in good faith.  Buy a book, take a class, get with the program. 

also JD, remember that damn miss at the vtec point i talked to you about months ago? it seems to have cleared that up too.

Ignitors are high speed switches that deal with decent amounts of current and flyback current, and do not live full lives because of it.  I'm not surprised to hear that it had issues, although I am glad that replacing it remedied your problem.

and  this engine wanted a lot of timing when tuned, the distributor is maxed out so i think im going to bump the cam a degree or two.

Be real careful.  You'll shift the powerband and might result in significantly lean/rich spots.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »

i would like to learn more about how this shit works. i chip ecu's on a weekly basis, but dont know much about what the parts do that i put in. i can solder with the best and i have some idea, but wish i knew more. i plan to ward off a lot of side work to catch up on some things and do more of what i want to do. hopefully learning electronics is one of them. i also expect to get a ration of shit on this site, i never expect to get anything for free.

i know sewell tunes rich and i have a wideband backed up by a decent ability to read plugs. hopefully all goes well. if things dont line up, i will just retune it myself and be done with it.
obd1>gtgtall

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 08:46:19 PM »

pick up a copy of "practical electronics for inventors" by paul scherz.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »

I've deliberately withheld p28.pdf from you, but it's not held you back any because you wouldn't understand it and I don't want to hold hands.  I love to answer specific questions, but fuck holding hands.  Display some basic entry level electronics knowledge and it's yours, along with a whole lot else.

Also, Sewell doesn't tune rich in any remotely negative connotation of the word.  You've got a wiring problem, a ground problem with an analog wideband, or a lack of dyno-based experience upon which to base acceptable inferred AFRs in a small bore ticking timebomb.  Sewell was frustrated that he couldn't get more power out of your car, and that frustration was directed at the china shit you had bolted to it that made power in spite of itself.  You may have had the Vitara record for less than a week, but nobody's breaking your china record any time soon.  Think about that.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 09:10:27 PM »

will do kgx.

i know he thought more power was available and i know removing the CDM t3/t4 in favor of a real garrett or even holset would have given me more. part of it was to prove a point, part of it was cash flow at the time. i have a lot bigger plans for this engine that CDM shit wont be able to do. im not one of those guys that thinks you can do just as much on CDM, its inferior junk, but it can do more than a lot of people give it credit for. i dont ever recommend it to anyone just so you know.

as for tuning rich, i never meant anything negative. he told me himself that he tunes rich and always kept me aware of everything he was doing. after some playing, i dont think the moons will align for me though with this one and im going to just have to re-tune it myself. sucks that it will be with crome, but in the spirit of vitara builds it kinda of seems fitting and with the abundance of 400+whp B's i have running around jacksonville tuned with crome, i think it will live.

on a final note, i do appreciate your knowledge JD. i love learning from people that have been there and not just read the book. sometimes i dont always catch your hints, but either way i have learned a lot over the years here and OHMT. i plan to check out this book kgx recommended and see where that leads me. we will see
obd1>gtgtall

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »

Food for thought:

Small bore D16 in the 300-350 whp range make peak power with 12-12.5:1 AFR.  The first pull.  4-7 pulls deep, same "indicated" coolant temp although the chamber temps and valve face temps are much higher, they make best power in the low 11s to high 10s.  If you bring a cam into the mix they like to be leaned out, Blossfield's Z6 was a 12:1 racegas tune both in 305 whp @ 12 psi form and then in 410 whp GT3071R form.  It just ran too clean, and lost power when I tried to richen it.

If Sewell was doing a 11.5:1 tune on your car, at those power levels I'm sure that's not rich.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »

i dont remember the numbers now, been a long time. interesting info either way though.

would you tune that to make best power after a bunch of pulls and leave it, or closer to the one pull mark?

seems like you would want to split it since once on the street/track most people dont do back to back pulls like on the dyno.

i really have no opportunity to tune on a dyno around here to see that sort of stuff. i usually street tune and then when there is a dyno day people go make 3 pulls with their car and tell me what happened. one thing i have noticed is that my tunes always seem to make more power each pull.
obd1>gtgtall

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »

I start tuning for best power with minimum timing at 12:1, then start reading the chamber for micro pings and richen things up either when I see them or when the engine's minimum timing requirement to make best power drop way down.  Actually, I usually stop there as that's true knock limit.

If tuning for 12:1 and power comes up each pull, probably conservative timing.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:09 PM »

I do keep it To what I consider conservative. I like a margin for error. It's easy to have one car bow up cause the owner is a retard and me get a bad rep. Everybody leaves happy though.
obd1>gtgtall

900s

• blew george and harveys brains out with my sixgun
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »

pick up a copy of "practical electronics for inventors" by paul scherz.

Just ordered a copy, looking forward to seeing it show up. :yes:
unofficial brokenog

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 06:17:46 PM »

Amazon has it used for $9
obd1>gtgtall

900s

• blew george and harveys brains out with my sixgun
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »

Amazon has it used for $9

Indeed they do, that's where I got it ;D
unofficial brokenog

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »

Just pirated it
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up