:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scorched End cap  (Read 5926 times)

DreaMeR

Scorched End cap
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »

alright I accidently installed my end cap backwards and it scorched the end cap (see pic) my question is, is it safe to use?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Re: Scorched End cap
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »

Uh... What's that go on? Cam bearing cap, rod bearing cap? If it did that, you probably have other problems.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

DreaMeR

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:29:31 PM »

as long as you didn't spin any bearings, or have damaged it physically outside of heat cycle, and your bearing tolerance is in spec, i don't see why not  ???

I dont see why either, yeah the bearing wasnt spun yet, I guess I'll just have to measure clearances once I get my rod bearings in...lol I feel like a idiot for doing that, but I didnt know which way the fucking notches were supposed to go :\

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »

as long as you didn't spin any bearings, or have damaged it physically outside of heat cycle, and your bearing tolerance is in spec, i don't see why not  ???

I dont see why either, yeah the bearing wasnt spun yet, I guess I'll just have to measure clearances once I get my rod bearings in...lol I feel like a idiot for doing that, but I didnt know which way the fucking notches were supposed to go :\
It about had to of spun a bearing to do that.  ???
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

DreaMeR

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »

well if it did then thats what I was asking, if the end cap will be okay?

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »

When I took my motor apart that I had someone else assemble last time the rod bearing caps were on 1 and 3 on same side and 2&4 on opposite sides, so is there really a particular direction the are to go? I marked all my caps and rods on one side to remember to put back together the same way. I spent 7 hrs spec'ing in my bottom end with plasti gauge and all cameout good.

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:13:47 PM »

When I took my motor apart that I had someone else assemble last time the rod bearing caps were on 1 and 3 on same side and 2&4 on opposite sides, so is there really a particular direction the are to go? I marked all my caps and rods on one side to remember to put back together the same way. I spent 7 hrs spec'ing in my bottom end with plasti gauge and all cameout good.

Yes I look at rod and cap where there usually a stamp number.

The upper half and lower half stamp number should line up perfect. :yes:

DreaMeR

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »

well I think what happened here was that the end cap was facing the other way... like the end cap was facing towards the exhaust and the rod was facing towards the IM or vice versa.

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 03:58:03 AM »

Yes I look at rod and cap where there usually a stamp number.

The upper half and lower half stamp number should line up perfect. :yes:
On my eagle rods esp's they say the same thing on both sides, thats why I ask

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

confUsed

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 05:59:21 AM »

I almost did the same thing on my rods... When you put the rod cap backwards you wont get a perfect circle. If you take the rod out and put the rod cap on backwards you can feel the edge right where the rod and rod cap meets. Before the rods leaves the factory they are assembled and linehoned to get the right clearance and a perfect circle.
My english sucks

RHMT Norway

DreaMeR

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »

so as long as its a perfect circle (both notches match up) it doesnt matter if they're backwards or not?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »

so as long as its a perfect circle (both notches match up) it doesnt matter if they're backwards or not?

there is a notch on each side of the bearing AND block/retainer.  these need to face opposite, the tabs that is.  they keep the bearing from spinning, and afiak the notch points in the direction the crank rotates.

Those notches are for alligning the bearing for installation, but they don't actually keep the bearing from spinning. Friction from crushing the bearing is what keeps them from spinning. It takes TIME to spec out a bottom end properly.

DreaMeR

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 11:26:02 PM »

heres the thing. I installed 1 rod backwards (notch towards intake) but, I installed the end cap the same way. As far as I can tell its fine, if it would of spun it, it definatly woulda done it within the few miles I drove it right? so, the question is, is it okay to leave that one backwards long as the end cap is installed the same way? Kinda like what widebody was saying, is there actual way to go?

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 03:34:53 AM »

I went back and rotated my caps . I put back the exact same way as I removed them prior to doing so.

I cleaned all surfaces and rotated at ONES suggest that they need to be on opposite ends, still was in spec and didnt feel any edges.  :-\

SO IDK on which way the true way is, so I put it as the previous engine assembler did it.  :-[

DreaMeR

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »

well heres what Im thining, as long as the notches matches up the both are getting oil and wont spin the bearing, but with the notches opposite it'll resist the oil and just burn the fuck outta the bearing and end cap/rod. Reason behind saying that is that it should have spun the bearing almost instantally...or at least wouldnt of been getting oil to it and burned it the same way. So Im just gonna wing it and put it back in there with the rod backwards.

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 05:04:50 AM »

The rod backwards or the rod cap opposite.  Same cap or the burned one? Now sit there and think about it. its got hot, colored which means hot and brittle, and warped, and your going to re use, I suggest a new cap or whole rod assembly. is the rod side is also colored

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »

there is a notch on each side of the bearing AND block/retainer.  these need to face opposite, the tabs that is.  they keep the bearing from spinning, and afiak the notch points in the direction the crank rotates.

Those notches are for alligning the bearing for installation, but they don't actually keep the bearing from spinning. Friction from crushing the bearing is what keeps them from spinning. It takes TIME to spec out a bottom end properly.

it was always told/known to me that if you installed BOTH of the tabs the same side, the recesses in the caps/block would let the tabs crush in and spin it

Nigga what?

Do I need to take some pics?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »

if you aligned the cap to sit the bearing notch the same side as the block/rod, that is.

dunno, maybe this is an american car thing.

Pretty much every engine I have had my hands in, domestic engines mostly, are tang to tang.  IDK, I guess my memory could be off.  I haven't put rod or main caps on anything but a Honduh for a couple of years.

Pages: [1]   Go Up