:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QUIET exhaust....  (Read 4233 times)

patsmx5

• Certified OG
QUIET exhaust....
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »

So I've been trying to build a sleeper all along. IC is hidden behind the A/C condenser, stock body, but it had aftermarket wheels and a 3" pipe out the back before. And if you looked under the back, you could see it had full 3" exhaust. It wasn't terribly loud, but it wasn't exactly quiet. It was pretty loud in boost, or low speed high load driving.

Well, I finally found a set of factory 15's so it looked stock cept for the 3" exhaust.

So I put the stock muffler on. I cut up a factory header a while back to add a 3" collector to it and saved the 3" to 2" reducer. It came in handy.  :) Fluxcored...

Shit is damn near silent. I hear road noise now. And something in the front end makes a slight clunk when I tap the brakes. But idle, full boost, anything the exhaust is almost silent.

But it did kill the power in full boost. Probably went from 270whp to 220-230. Gonna turn up the boost to compensate.  :yes: :noel: 8) But off boost, or low boost the power is the same as before.

Noteworthy, I borrowed a fluxcore to do this. Day after I bought a Miller 130 with two whips, two spools of wire, and a cart to roll it around on for 250. Bought a bottle of argon too so it's ready to go.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
Re: QUIET exhaust....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:29 PM »

Thats gonna create a lot of backpressure... Haha.
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

E-b0la

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »

buy a different muffler. fuck that stock crap.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:51 PM »

Yeah, I thought about putting a different muffler. But I wanted it almost silent, not a little better. You quite literally can't hear the exhaust anymore. And there's an RHMT way to get the power back at the flip of a switch.  :noel: Coming soon...
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »

Yeah, I thought about putting a different muffler. But I wanted it almost silent, not a little better. You quite literally can't hear the exhaust anymore. And there's an RHMT way to get the power back at the flip of a switch.  :noel: Coming soon...

Ballin! QTP? Oh wait this is RHMT, are you using a TB? haha.
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »

caged

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:52:13 AM »

Im not digging the new exhaust ::). Why dont you build your own muffler where the oem one is and have a fake pipe out the back. Thats what iv got, its quet as a stocker at idle and low load and quiet loud under full load.
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 03:39:44 AM »

isnt that like $150 worth of cherry bombs?
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »

Im not digging the new exhaust ::). Why dont you build your own muffler where the oem one is and have a fake pipe out the back. Thats what iv got, its quet as a stocker at idle and low load and quiet loud under full load.
I'm looking for another 99' muffler to cut up. I wanna see how it's designed, and see if it can be modified with something like a wastegate or cutout inside so it will breathe when I want it to, but be quieter than stock when I want it quiet. And those glasspacks were 90 I think from performance pedeler.

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »

isnt that like $150 worth of cherry bombs?

That was my first thought. I don't  know if running 4 muffler will hurt performance   :-X

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

AstroVannin

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »

I like it... I was thinking of doing somthing like that on the Accord ... the Magnaslow is killing my brain.

Tractor mufflers are cheaper BTW

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »

Stock muffler + cutout = win. I've had a 3" with 2 mufflers, and I laugh at ppl who say that is a quiet setup - it's quiet like a shotgun in a library. I have a similar deal as you - 3" down the centerline, then stock pipe/muffler after. An e-cutout is on the 3" section just before the gas tank. My unadjusted rockers are louder than the exhaust. :?: Whats weird is my boost level is HALF for a given EBC duty cycle when the cutout is closed.

I'm going to do a quasi write-up soon, complete with the circuit.

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=276.0
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »

Stock muffler + cutout = win. I've had a 3" with 2 mufflers, and I laugh at ppl who say that is a quiet setup - it's quiet like a shotgun in a library. I have a similar deal as you - 3" down the centerline, then stock pipe/muffler after. An e-cutout is on the 3" section just before the gas tank. My unadjusted rockers are louder than the exhaust. :?: Whats weird is my boost level is HALF for a given EBC duty cycle when the cutout is closed.

I'm going to do a quasi write-up soon, complete with the circuit.

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=276.0
Someone understands!!!!! All the miata folks run a similar exhaust as my old one and swear a 22" core magnaflow replacing my previous 18" magnaflow will make it as quiet as stock. Yeah, I'm gonna call BULLSHIT on that. Maybe quiet at idle, but that's it. I need not a headache every time I drive the car. And agreed, I'm hearing all kinds of shit I never heard before.  8)

And get the circuits posted  :-*

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »

If you add a cutout, make sure you keep it 3" to the cutout, afterwards it doesn't matter how hagard the piping is. Put it on the spot closest to camera in that pic above.

BTW the circuit is posted, along with an NA vs Turbo vid I made quickly.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

looks like you just need a bigger downpipe.

is there a fuckin pit dug out under that ?  if so thats titeeee

d-rail

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 05:36:34 AM »

Quiet is overrated. Cops are your friends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up