:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retarded backwards integra swap thread.  (Read 6014 times)

Phate

Retarded backwards integra swap thread.
« on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »

Figured you guys would find this interesting/amusing.

My buddy's pretty broke, and picked up a rough-but-not-rusty 96 integra GS (think its a GS, it has leather and ABS) auto for like $400 to drive to work.  Its got high miles, and the B18B has the usual worn rings/even low compression/slight oil burner issues.  It runs great, its just tired.  The trans is the typical crappy high mileage honda automatic:  it works, but its boring and you can't really beat on it even after a slight B-valve line pressure tweak, cleaning all solenoids, and putting real fluid into it.  Replaced tie rod ends, fixed some body panels, and drove it for a bit.

We looked for an LS manual tranny, and weren't able to come across one for less than $300.  Then my friend came up with a really stupid idea.  Install the d-series engine and manual trans that are sitting in the corner of his garage into the teg.  Did a bit more research, and as far as we can tell, the mounts are exactly the same (with the exception of auto/manual difference, and the T-bracket), civic axles (which he has a decent few of) will work.  Which is good, because the car needs an axle anyways.  Fuck it, almost free swap.

I'll grab some pictures of the car and progress next time we're working on it.  Its haggard.

Car will probably go faster with the D15 and manual (did I forget to mention its getting a D15?), than it did with the tired B18 and slushbox.  He's gonna drive it like that for a while to have a car get to work, but after that its probably getting a vitara build.

Last night we got the fluids drained out, and most of the electrics labelled and disconnected.  Haters gonna hate.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:43:34 PM by Phate »
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: Retarded backwards integra swap thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »

This be more interesting with pictures.  :noel:

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »

Didn't someone on RHMT do a turbo D series 4 door teg?
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

Phate

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »

This be more interesting with pictures.  :noel:

Will provide them next time we're working on it.  Phones didn't want to take pictures in the dark last night.

Plus side:  We're pulling well over 100lbs off the nose of the car.  B18B + automatic weighs 425-ish lbs, and a D15 with a manual weighs 310.  Move the battery to the trunk, and we've greatly improved the weight distribution of this shitbox.

Oh, and the full AC system has been removed, and its got a half rad.  So there's some more weight off the nose of the car.  Civic weight.  4 door sedan.  Leather interior.  Sunroof.  Nicest beater civic ever.

Car is already rustling jimmies.

Didn't someone on RHMT do a turbo D series 4 door teg?

Got a link?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:15:21 PM by Phate »

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »

Got a link?

No, I think it was on OHMT, was someone fairly OG-ish but I don't think they're around anymore?
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »

we got one here... I can't remember his name. but he has a thread...
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:39:24 AM »

rhd dc2 had a boosted one.  was a 2 door with an ITR front end. 
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 01:13:32 AM »

Someone else had one to.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »

slocivic or something had one. green 4 door with a dirty d in it.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »

slocivic or something had one. green 4 door with a dirty d in it.

Thats the one Im thinking of.

Phate

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »

Couldn't find the other set of jack stands, so we couldn't get to the axles and mounts, but we've gotten everything else disconnected.

Crappy cell phone pics, GO!
The car:

Previous owner had a type R badge on it.  Just the adhesive is left.  Car is rough, but the quarters are all there, so that's cool.

Under the hood, typical haggard stock DC:

Gangster lean half rad:

Lower core support is kinda fucked up:

We tried straightening it.  Hooked a chain to it, then attempted pulling it with a come along and various vehicles.  My accord ended up just dragging the integra out of the garage (fuck yeah snow tires).  We've lifted the teg by the bent up lower bar a bunch it times, it doesn't move.  Screw it.

To continue to make this interesting, the engine that's going into it is OBD1, and we're running it off an OBD2 ECU.  Its a total bastard.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:47:25 PM by Phate »

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »

You basically treat the 94+ integra chassis as a 92-95 civic chassis in terms of mounts, linkage, axles, etc. The only difference is obd2 and very minor wiring in a gsr chassis.

A guy with the screen name "k-what?" on DSO is has a turbo vitara/rod d16 integra running mid-12's. He's on DSM450's right now but has some of my 800's ready for a retune & bigger turbo.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/175753-k-whats-2013-single-cam-teg-build-thread.html
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »

Isn't the auto trans mount is different between the Teg and civic.
Buddy just did an auto to manual and my hasport mount from an eg wouldn't work
Hasport makes a dc one so we just hacked up an auto

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 09:31:42 AM »

you can just cut the spot welds and weld on a manual tranny bracket. like 25bucks from the dealer usually..  ::)
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »

Isn't the auto trans mount is different between the Teg and civic.

The frame rail dimensions aren't different, so turbohf's idea is the winner for a beater teg.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »

Hacking up the auto one to use as spacers was free

Phate

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »

Hacking up the auto one to use as spacers was free

I was thinking of bolting a plate to the trans to allow me to bolt an auto mount to the tabs off the frame rail.  We'll see how horrible of an idea this is gonna be once we've got the D hanging in the engine bay.

Wish this was like an accord where you can just redrill the tabs.

We don't have a welder at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:27:32 PM by Phate »

Phate

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »

Hit a snag. Apparently whoever torqued the axle nuts previously used some kind of hilariously over powered impact gun, because they resisted: medium-power husky impact gun (no effect), craftsman 1/2in breaker bar with 3 feet worth of cheater pipe (broken), Snapon 18V cordless impact (no effect), giant snapon ratcheting breaker bar that's normally used for removing bolts on semis (no effect), with lots of PB blaster and heat between.

So we're pulling the uprights off the car and dragging the driveaxles out with them. Removing axle nuts with a die grinder and a chisel on the workbench.  Bonus:  We aren't using these axles again.

Otherwise we would have had the engine out this afternoon.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »

Which way are you turning them? Lolololol 
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

Phate

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »

Which way are you turning them? Lolololol

You're not the first to say this...  CCW, although for what its worth we couldn't even move the nut in the stake.

Engine and tranny are out of the car.  Pulled the uprights off and dragged the axle out with them.  Passenger side inner CV didn't want to come out of the tranny, prying on it just tilted the thing (trashed diff bearings?).  Since the outer CV was junk on that axle, I just cut the boot and ripped the shaft out.  Removing an LS and auto tranny out the top is fun, especially when people think things will go horribly wrong if you tilt it before lifting it out of the bay.

Probably going to use a cutoff wheel to remove the axle nuts, since those axles aren't being used again.

Just need a flywheel and we can bolt the engine and tranny together so we can see how much trouble the passenger side mount is going to be (because auto-manual).  Then we're making 3 civic axles into one good civic axle (one good axle, one with a bad inner CV, one with a bad outer CV).  Then junkyard trip to get a shifter (we've got linkage, with bonus poly bushings).  Then its "make D15 run off OBD2 Y7 ECU to drive and pass inspection".  And it needs new tires.

Ideally, he's just gonna drive this thing around to get to work.  But he's probably going to do something stupid to it, likely involving either nitrous or a small turbo.  Hopefully there's a replacement engine ready and waiting by that point in time (like the Z6 that's coming out of another friend's car...)

Following the swap, stay tuned for haggard bodywork when we make two crappy doors into one good door. Car came with a dent poorly filled with bondo on the driver's front door, that messes with the window track.  A while back we picked up a driver's door that is completely straight with good window assembly, with rust along the bottom edge.  Cut door skin along trim/body line, cut off similar piece of door skin from non-shit door.  Weld/rivet/panel-bond together.  Skim coat with filler, get drunk while filler dries, sand until smooth, prime.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:25:29 PM by Phate »

Pages: [1]   Go Up