:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B-swap questions from a n00b...  (Read 9097 times)

Jorsher

• Certified OG
B-swap questions from a n00b...
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »

I am definitely a n00b at this shit and have tried Googling this stuff with little luck.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally that is knowledgeable of this shit either so I come to you guys...  Will be updating as I come across stuff.

Q - I have an AEM B-series fuel rail I got for cheap off someone on HMT.  According to the AEM website, the stock injectors will work, and according to my searching, B/D series injectors are basically interchangeable.  So, theoretically, I should be able to use my A6 injectors in the B-series and AEM fuel rail, correct?  The issue is that they are "loose" when in the fuel rail.  I compared the fuel injector port bores on the stock D-series to the ones on the AEM B-series, and the AEM ones are slightly larger.  I'm assuming the AEM fuel rail injector ports have been bored, possibly for larger injectors?  If that sounds plausible, is there anywhere I can buy seals that will allow me to use my D-series injectors, or does someone have a factory B-series fuel rail.  I'd be willing to trade my AEM one for the cost of shipping it + shipping the factory one...

Q - There's a sensor on the back left of the B18A1 block which I believe is the fan switch?  It basically has two posts that the wires connect to, with a boot around it.  I didn't pay attention to which wire went to which post when I pulled the harness off the D-series.  Does it matter?  If so, anyone know off-hand which wire goes where or can point me to where I can find out?
A - Doesn't matter, thanks snm95ls
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:25:48 PM by Jorsher »

snm95ls

• Certified OG
Re: B-swap questions from a n00b...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:14:25 PM »

I can't think of any reason why the holes would not be either 11 mm or 14 mm.

Stock Denso(older) are 11 mm inlets, so a 14 mm hole ought to be really loose.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:25:50 PM »

I can't think of any reason why the holes would not be either 11 mm or 14 mm.

Stock Denso(older) are 11 mm inlets, so a 14 mm hole ought to be really loose.

Thanks, will check that, not sure if it was that big of a difference, at least didn't seem like anywhere near as big of a difference as a 10mm and 14mm bolt...

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »

To answer your second question, yes it is the fan switch, and no it does not matter which wire goes to each post. 

There is also the green two pin oil temp switch on the back of blocks that came out of 90-93 integras (all B18A1 and some B18B1).  Nothing needs o be connected there as it is only used in those cars to keep the fans running after the key is shut off.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »

To answer your second question, yes it is the fan switch, and no it does not matter which wire goes to each post. 

There is also the green two pin oil temp switch on the back of blocks that came out of 90-93 integras (all B18A1 and some B18B1).  Nothing needs o be connected there as it is only used in those cars to keep the fans running after the key is shut off.

Hmmm...  Yes this is a B18A1.  The only sensors I see on the back are the oil pressure switch and the green two-wire sensor slightly up and left from the oil pressure switch (is also on the d16a6).  Assuming that's the fan switch, however I don't see another two wire sensor (which I guess doesn't matter if it's unnecessary).

Thanks

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »

the big ass one that looks just like the one on the A6 is the only one you need to worry about, well other than the oil pressure switch.

:P

Just to clarify...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:30:52 PM by snm95ls »

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »

Ahaha, I'm glad you posted that picture.  Apparently the shop that did the engine work put the sensors back on in the wrong location.

Had the fan switch sensor where the oil temp sensor is.

That clears up why I had the hole where the fan switch should be, an extra sensor, and I think I had an extra plug on the harness as well...

Thanks

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »

Lol.  That would not have worked for shit.  Fan switch in the oil drains FTL.

chris

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »

also knock sensors are only found on oem dohc vtec blocks so dont freak out since your b18a1 doesnt have one its not suppose too.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »

also knock sensors are only found on oem dohc vtec blocks so dont freak out since your b18a1 doesnt have one its not suppose too.

Troof.

Also, that is not the stock location for a knock sensor.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:27:58 AM »

i don't know if the b and d injectors are the same or not. i don't think they are. however they will both fit in the rail.
if they feel loose it might mean you need new orings on them

Nah, they fit snug in the D-series rail (and never leaked when I drove it), and the B-series injector ports are visibly larger.  Just trying to find out if all AEM fuel rails are like this and there is a seal I can get, or if someone possibly bored out the ports (I bought it used).

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 01:31:08 AM »

i don't know if the b and d injectors are the same or not. i don't think they are. however they will both fit in the rail.
if they feel loose it might mean you need new orings on them

Eh, with the exception of a few Ds and the impedance differences, hey are pretty much interchangeable.  I used the stock A6 injectors on my B17A swap.

There are exceptions, but most B and D series injectors have a flow rate of 240 cc/min.

Jorsher, I would bet that the AEM rail has been bored out for some odd reason if they are a very loose fit.  Is the anodizing still visible in the injector bores of the AEM fuel rail?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:32:56 AM by snm95ls »

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »

the big ass one that looks just like the one on the A6 is the only one you need to worry about, well other than the oil pressure switch.

:P

Just to clarify...

That's not an oil temperature switch, that is another oil pressure switch.  It was used in 90-91 vehicles, compared vs PS pressure switch, so the ECU knew whether or not to idle up due to PS load.

IDIOTS!!!

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »

Really?  Explain to me how you get oil pressure from oil the drain back galley.

I have the same fucking thing on the back of my B17A1 which coincidentally did not come from a 90-91 vehicle.  It's purpose is as I stated earlier.

Sir, I think in this case you are the fucking idiot.

Ravage70

• Certified OG
  • The Hotrex foot. Stiletto ready!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 01:29:32 AM »

woboy
I smell blood...

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 01:49:52 AM »

(Im getting my popcorn for this showdown)  :yes:
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 01:55:23 AM »

There you go fellas.

It is okay, the all mighty Grand Wizard is never wrong.   The FSMs, and my obviously lacking experience are no match for JD.

<Awaits verbal assault>

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »

i have seen aftermarket fuel rails use larger o-rings than what comes stock. lots of cars use them, just ask the parts guy to see a few different ones.

why waste the money on a fuel rail when stock is good for pretty much anything?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »

i have seen aftermarket fuel rails use larger o-rings than what comes stock. lots of cars use them, just ask the parts guy to see a few different ones.

why waste the money on a fuel rail when stock is good for pretty much anything?

I didn't waste money, I bought it from someone that also sold me a brand new competition clutch, intake mani, wiseco pistons for a damn good deal, and threw the fuel rail in for next to nothing.  I needed a fuel rail, it was cheap, I grabbed it.

Uploading a picture, this thread reminded me...

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »

well, if you didnt have a rail that fit, and didnt spend much i can understand it. i just cant understand people that buy them cause they think they need the added flow.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 10:41:45 PM »

well, if you didnt have a rail that fit, and didnt spend much i can understand it. i just cant understand people that buy them cause they think they need the added flow.

Yeah, I'm using stock injectors and a stock fuel pump on an NA engine, not expecting any benefit, was just available and cheap.

Here it is, next to a d-series rail:

Might be hard to tell from that picture and the angle, but the d-series port is noticeably smaller.  Whoever suggested to check if the anodizing was gone, good point, and yes it's gone.

Bored, eh?  So who has a b-series rail, or are there seals I can use...

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 11:13:30 PM »

Yeah that fucker is not 11 mm anymore.

:?:

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:32 AM »

What intake do you have? Obd-0 or 1?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »

What intake do you have? Obd-0 or 1?

Aftermarket, seems OBD1, why?

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 01:59:44 AM »

Because I tink I might have a obd-0 rail kicking around in my garage.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 02:04:24 AM »

Because I tink I might have a obd-0 rail kicking around in my garage.

Ah, what can I check?

it's been bored out, mine had anodizing inside the holes

and i didn't pay much for mine either. i think it was $30 or something like that. it was worth the extra $20 for the bling factor :?:

Yeah, I found out who I bought it from, he said he bought it used and never used it.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »

Dose your fuel rail feed come in the end, or on top of the fuel rail? If your running an aftermarket one, I will bet its a end feed, and not a top feed like the obd-0 that I have.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:20 AM »

Bored, eh?  So who has a b-series rail, or are there seals I can use...

i think BMW's use a pretty big o-ring
obd1>gtgtall

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 03:40:19 AM »

I am definitely a n00b at this shit and have tried Googling this stuff with little luck.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally that is knowledgeable of this shit either so I come to you guys...  Will be updating as I come across stuff.

Q - I have an AEM B-series fuel rail I got for cheap off someone on HMT.  According to the AEM website, the stock injectors will work, and according to my searching, B/D series injectors are basically interchangeable.  So, theoretically, I should be able to use my A6 injectors in the B-series and AEM fuel rail, correct?  The issue is that they are "loose" when in the fuel rail.  I compared the fuel injector port bores on the stock D-series to the ones on the AEM B-series, and the AEM ones are slightly larger.  I'm assuming the AEM fuel rail injector ports have been bored, possibly for larger injectors?  If that sounds plausible, is there anywhere I can buy seals that will allow me to use my D-series injectors, or does someone have a factory B-series fuel rail.  I'd be willing to trade my AEM one for the cost of shipping it + shipping the factory one...
A - Definitely bored.

Q - There's a sensor on the back left of the B18A1 block which I believe is the fan switch?  It basically has two posts that the wires connect to, with a boot around it.  I didn't pay attention to which wire went to which post when I pulled the harness off the D-series.  Does it matter?  If so, anyone know off-hand which wire goes where or can point me to where I can find out?
A - Doesn't matter, thanks snm95ls

Q - How the FUCK are you supposed to get to the rear mount's rear bolt?  Generally, I've been pleased at Honda's foresight and bolt placement, because they're all usually relatively easy to get to.  Why the fuck they couldnt have put a couple bolts on the side of the mount in place of having one at the back, I don't understand.  I'm assuming I'll have to remove the subframe, but I'm curious how others have got to it...

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »

Jew
Pages: [1]   Go Up