:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not NepTune?  (Read 33421 times)

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: Why not NepTune?
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »

i tend to disagree, if your software knew the targetted AFR, and highest timing allowed (user would input it as a starting point for the software), temps, ect. i dont see why it wouldnt be beneficial to make a VERY close tune to what you want with an auto tune.

Aside from taking a lot longer than doing manually?  Well, there's the fact that what the motor wants has nothing to do with whatever "targeted AFR" or "highest timing allowed" you care to name.

JD you made it seem like it would be running all the time without human input well your going to be there monitoring afrs and you inputed the timing ( it could go south just like it does in real life.. but the software would be extremly conservative)

You mean that isn't how it's used?  Have you ever met anyone who uses autotune?   Have you ever met anyone who's tuned any appreciable number of cars who cares for such a device?  :mexi:

MTZ

• Webadmin
  • Certified OG
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »

ur right JD BUT for tunning n00bs like me a good working autotune would be $
ur fucking feet are disgusting.

btw that nail prolly rotted from u fingering widebody in the ass

its called toering

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »

i street tune cars weekly, so its not like i am some dumbass that couldnt do it without autotune. im just saying if it worked as well as it should, it would be nice to take some of the work out of these mundane tunes. dont get me wrong, i love tuning and if i didnt have bills to pay i would do it for free. it would just be nice for it to handle the simple shit without me.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »

Part throttle and cruise are the parts that I enjoy tuning.

I must be a simpleton.

:D

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2010, 07:33:35 PM »

to each their own i guess. i like making power myself.

i do like when someone has been driving around on someone else's basemap for a few weeks and then gets a tune. within 5 min they always say "my car has never driven this nice". i like that part, but the vac tuning itself bores me
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »

I must be a simpleton.

Yeah I enjoy the whole process part throttle and cruise are just as important as boost and wot.
Am I the only one that doesn't understand why? It seems easy to work out if you have the ability to make software to run a car. It would be awesome for vac tuning

Try hitting all cells.  Try getting the autotune feature to filter out tip-in and tip-out trims.  Try getting autotune to figure out what's going on with the engine when the sensors are glitching.  Remove the intelligent operator from the controls who can use some redneck common sense and simple observation to notice that changes aren't having the desired effect, and replace it with a script that clobbers everything according to a statistical deviation that has nothing to do with reality.

The sort of person who wants autotune is the sort of person who doesn't know what's going on and shouldn't be fucking around.
I agree with everything you just said. And with what Jose said.

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »

I too enjoy tuning part throttle and all vac portions over WOT, on the street anyways.

The fastest response I've ever gotten from a customer was right off the bat. The guy didn't think a tune would do him much, since it was just a stock H22 with a basemap from a "reputable" tuner in the area. I convinced him to let me tune. As soon as he started it with my new map, he was amazed at how smooth it idled. And as soon as he started to take off in first gear he noticed a huge difference. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, only because I didn't ride in his car before I tuned him but it was nice hearing I was making customers happy. I usually only get a thanks and my money.
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:02 PM »

i street tune cars weekly, so its not like i am some dumbass that couldnt do it without autotune. im just saying if it worked as well as it should, it would be nice to take some of the work out of these mundane tunes.

Your "if it worked" thought would never be voiced if you knew more, and the fact that you are bitching about honest labor is not a positive reflection on your character.  Show me one mathematical equation that knows as much as any human, no matter how stupid or hotrex/Down's Syndrome.  These are our tools, we are NOT theirs.  Time spent is a requisite for you as a tuner to make absolutely fucking sure you know what is going on.  You may not be getting the money you "think" you are worth in exchange, but there's usually a couple thousand in the customer's setup no matter how shitty as well as your reputation at stake.   If it's not worth doing for moral or financial reasons then you should do something else.

I must be a simpleton.

WOT is easy, the part throttle shit is what works me.

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »

Right on Joseph I feel just a touch of nerves every time I tune a car, because I want to make damn sure that everything I'm doing is in touch with reality and I'm not blindly going through the motions. These people usually can't afford to be putting together a fast car in the first place they can't afford for it to be destroyed by lazy tuning. I blew up a guy’s engine one time and it was completely my fault that’s not a feeling I ever want to repeat. Their supposed to be doing the right thing by having the car tuned by a professional so do right by the customer and be a professional. That means put some effort into it.
Another thing is that if you’re not putting thought into what you’re doing you won’t learn anymore.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »

Right on Joseph I feel just a touch of nerves every time I tune a car, because I want to make damn sure that everything I'm doing is in touch with reality and I'm not blindly going through the motions. These people usually can't afford to be putting together a fast car in the first place they can't afford for it to be destroyed by lazy tuning. I blew up a guy’s engine one time and it was completely my fault that’s not a feeling I ever want to repeat. Their supposed to be doing the right thing by having the car tuned by a professional so do right by the customer and be a professional. That means put some effort into it.
Another thing is that if you’re not putting thought into what you’re doing you won’t learn anymore.

I think Joey's said it before, but 99% of being a tuner is just being a really good diagnostician aka having really good redneck common sense.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2010, 11:07:57 PM »

I think Joey's said it before, but 99% of being a tuner is just being a really good diagnostician aka having really good redneck common sense.
Yeah it totally is. Ive rarely tuned a car that I didn't have to fix something on it.

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2010, 01:49:56 AM »

yea that way joe the plumber can call himself a tuner as well
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

MTZ

• Webadmin
  • Certified OG
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2010, 03:02:33 AM »

we all know that an autotune woudnt be anything but a polished basemap waiting for a tuner to make its true potential but when theres no tuners around like in my case.... well it would be cool.

its called toering

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2010, 03:46:07 AM »

we all know....

We do know, but 90% of people getting tuned don't. If autotune worked, there would be a ton more idiots making money and blowing peoples shit up.
www.crzytuning.com

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »

we all know that an autotune woudnt be anything but a polished basemap waiting for a tuner to make its true potential but when theres no tuners around like in my case....

Time to learn.

MTZ

• Webadmin
  • Certified OG
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »

i am too afraid to blow my shit up, timing scares me lol

its called toering

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »

learn to read plugs.

Joseph, I tune vac very well. Every car I tune, the owner shits at how nice it drives and at the gas milage they get. I'm just saying that's not the part I'm into. Everyone has their thing and none of my customers ever get a half assed tune.
obd1>gtgtall

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »

i hope your laptop is fast enough to get plenty of samples for autotune to even be half ass accurate.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

MTZ

• Webadmin
  • Certified OG
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2010, 02:57:24 AM »

i woudnt use any current auto tune set up dont get me wrong

its called toering

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »

I spend most my time tuning part throttle in reality 85% of any street car build the car is in part throttle state. Even a road cource/autocross cars rare to have them at 100% throttle for most the run
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »

The only reason i thought it would be cool, is that theres no one in my area that knows how to make a basemap (excpt my one friend who is in ireland half the time) i would trust to make the 250 mile trip to the nearest dyno. So it would be nice to be able to hook up a wideband and turn on my car and let it idle and do it's thing then slowly drive it around untill i could drive safely to the dyno.

idk maybe i'm just being dumb about how quickly you guys work when tuning to fully understand how dumb autotune would be.  :-\

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2010, 03:20:08 AM »

i'm just being dumb about how quickly you guys work when tuning to fully understand how dumb autotune would be.  :-\

If you're going to spend money on building an engine, spend money on getting the car tuned. This means renting a uhaul flat bed to tow to the nearest tuner if you have to.
www.crzytuning.com

theidealone

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

Or just learn how to create your own basemap, and some lower RPM partial throttle to get you to your tuner...

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2010, 03:54:15 AM »

i'm just being dumb about how quickly you guys work when tuning to fully understand how dumb autotune would be.  :-\

If you're going to spend money on building an engine, spend money on getting the car tuned. This means renting a uhaul flat bed to tow to the nearest tuner if you have to.

Yeah i just hate spending another $250 just on the drive down. But it is what it is.

Or just learn how to create your own basemap, and some lower RPM partial throttle to get you to your tuner...

I have a very limited understanding on tuning/ecu changes. Just no real hands on experience to feel comfortable in what i'm changing is correct. Plus new engine means i shouldn't "learn" on it. I would hate to ruin it buy running super rich yadda yadda.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2010, 07:54:20 AM »

i learned how to tune on my DD. i chipped the ecu and put a stock file on it one day and it worked. started playing with it to understand the software, then stuck dsm 450's in and started tuning. if you know how an engine works, making a decent map to get you around shouldnt be difficult.
obd1>gtgtall

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2010, 09:01:15 AM »

Make a basemap is not rocket science. You take the stock map, you scale the fuel to your injector, you add boost column and retard the timing (the software do it).

Usually, it will be damned rich (it was in eCtune, a bit less with crome) like 10.5 so I remove 5% gas in all cells. It sit now at low 11. Might not apply to your motor tho. b18 are easy to tune :) Idle will be too damn rich, so you lean it. Give a little gas like 2k rpm and let it go down to see if the car want to die.

You don't really need to fuck with timing on a basemap, you only have the "easy" part to do. ;)

My car pulls hard everyday since july and still on a basemap (little better than a basemap, but not much). Again, its a b18a1 which seems to like amateur tuning.

Good luck :P

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »

Any more insite on Neptune? Waiting to get my demon back from moates before i buy license.
Ecu chipping
basmaps

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2010, 03:40:38 AM »

Any more insite on Neptune? Waiting to get my demon back from moates before i buy license.
man now that neptune works with a Demon I'm wanting to try it out to.

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »

You should get your happy ass on that. You been doin good so far with what you got. Expanding your range will definately be beneficial.

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2010, 05:23:15 PM »

Dealer license is Great price also def look into it
Ecu chipping
basmaps
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up