:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best bang-for-buck ring compressor  (Read 9233 times)

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
Re: Best bang-for-buck ring compressor
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »

dont re-use rings.
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 03:11:11 AM »

That bluish compressor is what I use, you can borrow them from autozone for $10 or so. THey're a pain vs the baller aluminum donut/ring style, but the fixed aluminum style can only do 1 bore size per donut. Just be VERY careful, as it's very easy to break rings. Do not hesitate to re-compress them a few times if they don't slip right in.

So, got a new block/head on the way, will be taking the entire rotating assembly and slapping it into the new block after I get it bored/honed/surfaced.

Never installed pistons and paid the shop to do it the first time, but after somewhat completing a swap I feel a bit more confident that I could do it...  Just need some opinions on what a good ring compressor consists of, and any other tips on installing them.

Would any of you reuse bearings/rings that ran in an engine for maybe 20 minutes total, that had oil/coolant mix?

Bearings may be iffy since they have a special coating for break-in on them. If the crank was micropolished and you were running loose clearances, they're probably fine.

I doubt your machine shop gave the block a plateau hone (medium grit for removal, then a quick fine grit to knock down ridges). The rings are probably still unseated if they didn't, therefore almost fresh, same for the bearings. If it was a low-power build I'd reuse it all. Otherwise I'd probably pop for some new shit.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »

Yeah, it's a micropolished crank with generic ACL bearings so I think they'll be fine...

The car was only under load for a few minutes, and other than that was just idling.  I'm not sure the rings would have seated that quickly but then again I don't feel like finding out afterwards and having to tear it apart a 3rd time...so may just buy some.

I'm about to go take the block apart now.  Would the rings show any wear if seated?

michigan_soler

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »

How do you guys cut the rings for gapping if they are off. Ive seen people useing files and seen some fancy baller cutter thing. But thats it.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »

From what I've READ (AKA I have never done it), you can file them off, just make sure they meet squarely when pushed together...

Like ]  [ instead of /  \

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:37 PM »

From what I've READ (AKA I have never done it), you can file them off, just make sure they meet squarely when pushed together...

Like ]  [ instead of /  \

That is what I did. ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up