:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solid Laptop under $500  (Read 6263 times)

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: Solid Laptop under $500
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 12:00:23 PM »

...Great way to get more enjoyment out of the machine:  The first time it boots up, get rid of as much shit as possible.  Preferably just format the drive and install a non OEM windows copy that won't have bloatware on it.

All my shit runs TinyXP.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »

Okay I think it is down to an Acer and a Toshiba. I like my Dell, and it has done me well, but I know of a number of people that have had issues with them.

Acer/E-machine's are like throw a way cheap, like less then $300, but I have a feeling it will be something that gets thrown away in a year, but the way she kills computers, this might not be a bad thing.

I don't think I have come across anyone with any real horror stories with Toshiba's so it is on the top of my list, just have to see what I can find.

There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »

Okay I think it is down to an Acer and a Toshiba. I like my Dell, and it has done me well, but I know of a number of people that have had issues with them.

Acer/E-machine's are like throw a way cheap, like less then $300, but I have a feeling it will be something that gets thrown away in a year, but the way she kills computers, this might not be a bad thing.

I don't think I have come across anyone with any real horror stories with Toshiba's so it is on the top of my list, just have to see what I can find.

My first Acer I kept replacing memory chips until I undid all the extra b/s software that I do not use. The default setting at start-up was initializing 71 processes.

So I cut out all the crap and got it down to 49process and that lappy has not burn up any memory chips in 1yr.

My newest Acer/E-Machine lappy is starting to do the same shit. I'm going wipe all the crap off that I do not use.

Win7 Home  Premium works great except I can not get into a startup menu to turn off stuff.   :-\

The HP lappy I picked up for my 6mo. ago will not even load up. I'm calling the techline today. :?:

This maybe my last attempt to believe in anything HP ever again. :'(

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »

msconfig->startup tab

Turkey soup pancakes sir

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »

msconfig->startup tab
That's what I do. Unckeck ALL the processes, and it they are absolutely necessary Windows will activate them again.

I also use Spybot's startup manager. It breaks things down and describes what they do, even tells you which ones are harmful or malicious.
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

97Econobox

• Certified OG
  • Some may never live, but the crazy never die
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »

what everyone said on this page.  Toshiba are the worst with shit tons of extra crap software you don't need so first thing first id wipe that dude as soon as you get it or uninstall half or most of the shit on it.

post up what you pick out.

i ate your mom'#39#39s dick last night :?:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/nacvicsi/Untitled.gif

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »

I just talked my parents into this one

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/thinkpad/2842xf2.html

what say ye.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up